TEAM AGAINST HULL

Got to play 2 up front and go back to the diamond

Ruddy

Martin Bennet Bassong Olson

Johnson

Fer Snodgrass/Redmond

Hoolahan

RVW Hooper

Ruddy - Martin Bennet Bassong Olsson - Fer Johnson - Redmond Hoolahan Gutierrez - Hooper.

[quote user="jb"]

Ruddy - Martin Bennet Bassong Olsson - Fer Johnson - Redmond Hoolahan Gutierrez - Hooper.

[/quote]

This but I would like RvW instead of Hooper. I just think that his movement would be ideal for Hoolahan and Hoolahan would be ideal for sliding passes through.

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Bassong

Whittaker Olsson

Fer Johnson Snodgrass

RVW Hooper

Must become more solid introduce wing backs but may not be appropriate against Hull as they don''t score too many but have a midfield we cannot let run the show.

Need to persevere with Ricky and Hoops even though we are unlikely to give them any opportunities but keep their defence on their toes.

Just so long as we avoid lining up with what I now consider to be the dreaded 4-2-3-1 formation we should in all fullness get 3 points against Hull. I am no firmly against this new fashion whereupon every Premiership manager thinks they have to play 4-2-3-1 - the problem with this formation is that is completely isolates the centre forward and the two wide attacking players. How many times have we had Snodgrass get the ball out wide and run blindly down a deadend? Every time he gets the ball. The fact is, 4-2-3-1 only works if the 4 attacking players in that formation are world class or outstanding players - to be able to cope with the fact that they''re often surrounded and outnumbered by defenders. Our players are simply not good enough to cope to play that formation in the Premiership. 

So I would go:

Ruddy

Bennett   Bassong    Turner  

Martin                                         Guataraez

Fer                Johnson

Hoolahan

Hooper            Van Wolfswinkle

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bassong Olsson

Redmond Fer Johnson Gutierrez

RVW Hooper

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Olsson, Snodgrass, Fer, Gutierrez, Redmond, Hoolahan, Hooper.[/quote]

This for me,  happily keep hooper but happily start RvW too.

Under no circumstances should whittaker start.

Would change of Howson fit.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Under no circumstances should whittaker start.

[/quote]

Why not? No worse than the rest of the defence last night and Bennett made very costly mistakes at Everton.

I''d have Martin at centreback for his mobility.

-------------------ruddy-------------

martin--bennett--bassong--olsson

snodgrass----fer--johnson--redmond

--------------RVW---Hooper----------

2-0 win

Tettey and Pilks have been back in training since Monday. At the time Hughton said that the Fulham match was too early. This seems to imply a possibility that one or both might be in contention for the Hull game. They may lack match fitness, but they could have kept themselves generally fit before re-joining training. Tettey has had more weeks off then Pilks, so he must be rated unlikely, but could perhaps figure on the bench - perhaps from a miracle we score first and then repel all boarders, so he could come as we try to keep Hull at bay!

Whittaker ought to be dropped, which means Martin there and the CBs would be Bassong and Bennett. Olsson certainly at LB - he is better generally and certainly quicker.

We need some steel in the midfield, so I would go for Snoddy, Fer, Johnson and Gutierrez(or Josh if the new signing is not fully fit).

Up front I would incline to Hooper and RvW, in the (vain) hope that Fer or Gutierrez will slide through a perfect pass for one or the other. Wes could come on later, and make an impact.

General comment:

Hughton has to attack, or could lose his job, and as someone once said "attack is the best form of defence". The Hull midfield is much better than ours, so we really must keep their defence busy. We can''t afford to park our entire team in our own half as we have done recently.

GJP - just my opinion that over the last 4-5 games his defensive performances have been poor and a level below Martins,  which is a hard thing to accept was likely to happen.     My view is also that Martin has been positionally poor in his recent cb outings and would not want him there again.

Salopian - we can only hope with pilks and Tettey,  if they are fit enough for 60 mins or so I would start both of them.     The only bit of your post I would disagree with is that the Hull midfield is better than ours,  across our best 5 I think ours is better,  but we are simply too inconsistent and probably wont have our best 5 available. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

GJP - just my opinion that over the last 4-5 games his defensive performances have been poor and a level below Martins,  which is a hard thing to accept was likely to happen.     My view is also that Martin has been positionally poor in his recent cb outings and would not want him there again.

[/quote]

Fair enough. I don''t think Whittaker has been any worse than the others but nobody is covering themselves in glory in that defence at the moment.

Bizarre setup with the chopping and changing between the right backs but not the same at left back. I mean I think Olsson has done pretty well but then has he done any better than Garrido last season? Probably not. Although you''d probably have to say that Olsson has got a bit more potential to improve.

[quote user="Paul"]Got to play 2 up front and go back to the diamond

Ruddy

Martin Bennet Bassong Olson

Johnson

Fer Snodgrass/Redmond

Hoolahan

RVW Hooper[/quote]Should have included quote on last post! oops

I for one do not care who plays now. Its the first ever game i have hoped we do not get a result such is the level of frustration i feel towards the style of football we have played under Hughton.

Oh come on? Surely despite everything, you want 3 points.

I can understand that it would be a relief if we lost and then Hughton was replaced by a quality manager, but can we not wish for 3 points against Hull?

I don''t think any fan actually wants us to lose a game, but if they see it as the best means to an end (and if it didn''t jeopardise our chance of staying up) then I can understand it to a small degree.I don''t think I could cope with another season of the sort of football we play under Hughton, and if a result at Hull meant that this was absolutely going to happen, then I think I''d be having similar thoughts as well...I''d rather we got simply rid of Hughton now, put Adams in caretaker charge of the team and brought someone else in ASAP - even if this means they join after the Hull match.