Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Any hope for Hughton?

Is his position untenable yet?

As much as I have lost faith in him, i think his position is far from untenable yet. 9 points from the next 3 and we''ll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. It''s very unlikely I know, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

My real question is, has there ever been a manager quite as knee deep in the squit as Hughton is that has turned it round?

How on earth can you watch the awful rubbish served up in the last few weeks and then even contemplate the possibility that we could get 9 points out of 9?

Well I seem to remember Worthy winning 5 on the spin in the midst of the loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg campaign to get him sacked. Would take some doing to win 5 prem games though! But 2 might do it.

Probably untenable if we lose to Hull but tenable if we beat them. That''s a bit of a scarey scenario whatever your views.

Mick Dennis has said in a few Tweets that he was with Delia and McNally last night and that they are behind Hughton and he won''t be sacked.

Doesn''t sound like his position is under any immediate threat if Mick is to be believed, and I see no reason why he shouldn''t be.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Mick Dennis has said in a few Tweets that he was with Delia and McNally last night and that they are behind Hughton and he won''t be sacked.

Doesn''t sound like his position is under any immediate threat if Mick is to be believed, and I see no reason why he shouldn''t be.[/quote]

On a separate note, Mick Dennis'' name is an excellent spoonerism.

Because it''s 11 men versus 11 men. As short as 1 year ago, we''d have this game down as a complete formality. Confidence is a massive factor, but we''ve made Huddlestone look like a mug before (Spurs away when he was sent off, start of the end for him there) and if we can get a lucky break and go 1 goal up, the players might just kick on from there. I wouldn''t bet on it, but it might well happen.

For me, results are what matters now, if we win 1-0 with a fluke from a Ruddy goal kick and then limp to a win, i''ll take it. Of course i''m annoyed at how lax we look all over the park, but I always want us to win.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]In answer to your question in the OP, ask Mark Robbins....[/quote]

That Robins goal for Ferguson (presume you mean this one) was like Hughton''s West Ham moment, we''re now 2 months on from that and have stuttered to a similar point as to where we were. I don''t remember there ever being a more dragged out "manager has to go" period other than Steve Kean who wasn''t wanted from the off.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]

My real question is, has there ever been a manager quite as knee deep in the squit as Hughton is that has turned it round?[/quote]Yes there has.In December 1989 Alex Fergusons Man Utd visited Notts Forest  on the back of an unprecedented seven games without a win (same as us). Mark Robins scored the only goal fergies job was safe he then went on to erm turn it around quite a bit.

I just can''t see how anybody could not want us to win. Yet I have stood with people who cheered opposition goals and then stormed out when we started scoring! The emotions involved with being a fan can bring out such extremes. In the cold light of day a win on Saturday would put us on level points with Hull and put panic amongst their fans and total meltdown for the fans of teams below us.

Well a win would leave us maybe needing only 4 more wins for safety, so even if Hughton does leave, it makes it easier for the next guy.

What i think works in our favour (as it seems to have Sunderland this time round) is that I believe we have the quality to sort this out within the playing staff if they had 1 or 2 more players brought in to help/ provide other options. We need a motivator to come in and get them rallied round and believing in themselves again.

There is always hope for Hughton whilst the board procrastinate.

For me I believe the soon a change is made the better.  The positives outweigh the negatives now.

The element of risk has gone passed the 50/50 stage now. Short term and long term.

With what we have seen over the last 12 to 13 months provides no confidence in the manager being able to turn things around.  Whilst with fortune and the possibility of other teams being even worse, we might stay up, the manager and performances would not make us an attractive proposition for new signings and even the possibility of losing some of our better players. Even if he was to be removed in the summer.  If we go down, the same applies even more so. Confidence is so low now I believe it is beyond his abilities to motivate so many.

Changing the manager with the foresight of staying up and progressing only offers positives.  As often happens with a change, the bounce would yield more points in those 4 to 5 games than we could expect right now and we need those points now!  Although as stated by others on here that you would soon drop back to a norm, is that norm what has been done in the recent past or does that norm become a step change where, although not as strong as the ''Bounce'', but still better than you were doing before? In business I have generally found the step change to be the case.

Therefore, staying up with a new manager, new philosophy and energy would immediately make us an attractive proposition for players again.  The league position does not matter so much as the change has worked and is new.  A fresh start with no hangovers.  If relegation does happen, then, yes players would still leave, but some are more likely to stay, considering the new input and better calibre of players are more likely to still join, than under the old ways.

The way I see it there is, just, still time to implement a quality change.  Halting a decline with the same people who got you there rarely works, especially when they keep doing the things that created it.  A fresh influx of ideas and energy can only be positive in such a case as ours.

However I do not believe it will happen, because of the thinking that, we have come this far, too late to go back, we must press on.  I have never believed in this.  If something is not working, change it.

Snake

Snake Eyes,

That just about sums up where I sit with this. Would you take 17th and Hughton still here playing boring football if offered to you now?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I just can''t see how anybody could not want us to win. Yet I have stood with people who cheered opposition goals and then stormed out when we started scoring! The emotions involved with being a fan can bring out such extremes. In the cold light of day a win on Saturday would put us on level points with Hull and put panic amongst their fans and total meltdown for the fans of teams below us.

[/quote]

This is something I too struggle with, I always want us to win.

I think the not wanting us to win goes back to the dark year Gary Megson took over from John deehan in what April with relegation already almost assured.

The argument must be that if a manager is cr@p then it''s best not to wait until April to sack and replace him, there''s logic there that''s quite easy to follow.

the tricky bit is deciding where the cut off point should fall, at what stage does it become too late to change the manager?

For the good of the club should I be booing the manager and applauding defeats until December, or January or is November too late? Should I play it safe and just welcome defeat until September of each year?

If one of the superfans would only care to give us a definitive answer to this dilemma....

While we still have a chance, i''d never want a loss. If relegation was confirmed, i''d stop caring about results and just want a change of management.

Crikey Jimmy I am not sure.

I think if you offered anyone 17th right now we would take it no matter what. However I believe that chance is greater with a change than if we kept on like we are.

I believe that when you become so goal focused, you create a kind of tunnel vision.  Where as if you focus on what you are doing and getting that right, the goal is achieved anyway. When you are trying to achieve something problems and obstacles always arise, but it is how you deal with, avoid or foresee these challenges. Adapt and overcome. You start to ask yourself, if something isn''t working, what else can I do?

From what we have seen, despite CH trying to make changes, the results are the same and the problems still exist.  This indicates that the base ethos is wrong and the path is blocked.  In this case you have to find another path or a way around the problem. Maintain that path you are ultimately fated to fail.

Snake