Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

Calderwood and Trollope the problem????

The performance last night was shocking and one of the worst I have witnessed for a long time. Never looked like scoring. The team lack so much confidence in the final third and are devoid of ideas/creativity. Hughton started wth two out and out wingers in Redmond and Murphy and still we cannot unlock defences.

What do the coaching team do all week at Colney?

Can they not see what has/is going wrong. The team has gone backwards this season and the football we have witnessed is dire.

I know Hughton will get all the stick for the mess we are in and rightly so as this comes with the territory of a highly paid premiership manager but I have no confidence in his backroom team. Do they have enough experience coaching a premiership team and guiding them out of a relegation dogfight. I doubt it. They have no passion on the touchline and look as though they have no care in the world.

If Hughton is to stay then the board need to stand up and say enough is enough. Replace the coaching staff now.

Look at Fulhams backroom team last night and you could see the passion and willingness to win, not to mention the wealth of experience in Wilkins and Curbishley. I know who I would rather want to play for.

For me it is all 3. I believe there are similarities with the current England cricket team- confidence low but even more damaging a rigid adherence to a text book resulting in a stifling of individual creativity and in-game flexibility. There have also been some strange selections and initial set ups which further hinder our cause.

We need fire and experience. I have long said Darren Ferguson, Mike Phelan and Neil Adams would be my ideal combo right now.

Presumably you don''t mean the Darren Ferguson who failed as a Manager in the Championship and whose side were knocked out of the Cup by a non-league team last night. Nah - can''t be. Must be another Darren Ferguson.

Who was it who hired Calderwood and Trollope? Hughton. Why when we can''t score do we not have an attacking coach? Hughton doesn''t want one. Why when we have two defenders part of our coaching staff can we not keep a clean sheet? All of them.

If Calderwood and Trollope, two failed managers themselves, have any more idea than Hughton, they ought to pressure him to save their jobs. Perhaps they have tried, and he is stubborn. Perhaps the occasional radical change - playing Howson further forward last season, playing Hoops and RvW together in an away game at Goodison is a lurch reflecting their influence finally overcoming Hughton''s dogged resistance.

No-one outside the three of them knows what the position is, but clearly the responsibility lies with Hughton. He must carry the can.

We often suspected that Culverhouse produced much of the best thinking of Lambert, and many of us hoped that he would stay behind when Lambert left. Others have commented on the possible influence of Wilkins and Curbishley. There seems some truth in the statement that some managers succeed because of the quality of their assistants. Certainly most seem to take their teams with them when they move. This was how we came to give employment to messrs Calderwood and Trollope.