Sign in to follow this  
hertfordyellow

Why do the players get off so lightly?

[quote user="I.S."]Yellow Wall, I think that''s nonsense. Just because the boy is encouraged to cut inside and have a shot you think that equals Houghton telling him never to get to the byline to cross? You are just trying to read too much into things to support the point you are trying to make.

In addition, we have seen the wingers frequently interchanging sides in a fluid formation in the majority of recent games, so clearly they are not just playing as inverted wingers.

The simple fact is that we are lacking confidence in the final third which is leading to lack of good decision making and quality in the final ball. We have got in great crossing positions numerous times this season, only for the players to execute the vital pass poorly.

Still don''t let me get in the way of your ranting.[/quote]

^^ this

Yellow wall - i think you are over egging the amount of instruction a player can take on board when playing a fast paced game with thousands of fans shouting at them. You can encourage a player to have a pop at goal but that doesn''t mean he will be given a set of pre-defined moves he is allowed to do and the rest he has to forget. A player has to rely on his own instinct, talent and reading of the game while taking on-board basic instruction.

If you could pre-program every player to follow a big list of indepth instructions then we wouldn''t laud players like Scholes because every player could be told how to play like scholes. What made scholes great was that he in the middle of all this fast paced action could read the game and force the game to be played in a manner that he wanted it be. If it all could be learnt from a manual then Fergie would have had a ready replacement, but you can''t do that so he had to bring him back in to the squad.

The thing with that Jas is that as a manager, it is my responsibility to ensure that my team are doing what they should be. There''s no grey area that if my team are not performing, I''m the one that either needs to get them performing, deal with the situation, or I''m not doing my job as a manager.

If you take the OPs petulant response to my previous post about going into work, putting their feet up, opening a few beers, and being an idiot, a manager would have to deal with that. That is their job and what they are paid for. Whilst it''s unfortunate in some circumstances, the buck stops with the manager. If your team aren''t doing their jobs to the best of their ability, you need to manage them so that they can.

The OPs point of kicking back as it''s the manager''s fault he''s not doing his job makes me think of Snodgrass earlier in the season. The penalty scenario, had that happened in "the business world" he would have been reprimanded, probably disciplined and would be on some form of warning. Not continually put in a position to consistently under perform.

hertfordyellow, I was simply trying to relate the bonkers world of football to a world I know relatively well and provide some perspective. Mature response though.

I don''t believe we are losing matches because of the caliber or attitude of our playersLook at the cup games against Fulham and our Premiership matches, almost completely different players.It''s clearly a problem with how we play, we should close down the opposition higher up the pitch and more often. We should also move the ball a lot quicker and move forward quicker, at the moment all our play is too ponderous.

we may not be losing matches because of the calibre of our players but i dont think any of them are playing to their playing to that calibre.   Sloppy passing, poor crosses,  no covering,  poor movement, failure to be available for a pass, poor shooting, selfish choices,  weak in the tackle (if one is even made) are the basics that are not done week after week.   

I do agree the players have to take some responsibility but are being sheilded for some frankly shocking performances by the sole focus on hughton  

[quote user="Howson is now"]The thing with that Jas is that as a manager, it is my responsibility to ensure that my team are doing what they should be. There''s no grey area that if my team are not performing, I''m the one that either needs to get them performing, deal with the situation, or I''m not doing my job as a manager.

If you take the OPs petulant response to my previous post about going into work, putting their feet up, opening a few beers, and being an idiot, a manager would have to deal with that. That is their job and what they are paid for. Whilst it''s unfortunate in some circumstances, the buck stops with the manager. If your team aren''t doing their jobs to the best of their ability, you need to manage them so that they can.

The OPs point of kicking back as it''s the manager''s fault he''s not doing his job makes me think of Snodgrass earlier in the season. The penalty scenario, had that happened in "the business world" he would have been reprimanded, probably disciplined and would be on some form of warning. Not continually put in a position to consistently under perform.

hertfordyellow, I was simply trying to relate the bonkers world of football to a world I know relatively well and provide some perspective. Mature response though.[/quote]I also manager a team for work Howson, a number of people on here do, it doesn''t somehow make you some guru. I find it bizarre that you would personally take responsibility for someone not doing their job properly, as in "it''s my job to motivate them, so it''s my fault they aren''t very good". Yes you need to provide challenges to stimulate the individual but if that individual is not performing, not caring or taking enough responsibility for their performance then you damn well need to make it clear that is not good enough either through formal warnings or informal rollickings. You took it to the extremes of the manager is in complete control of motivation of an employee, so I took it to the extreme of literally taking no responsibility for my work. Your post was equally extreme and equally unrealistic. My response was not mature but yours equally came across pedantic and preachy so I think we leveled it out.I take on your point about the business world though but I think you warp the scenario to an extreme so it fits in with your idea that Hughton is directly in control and the only variable that can increase, decrease motivation. What happened to player professional pride? competitive nature to be the best he can? to represent the fans as best he can? to justify such a fantastic weekly financial reward? to win at all costs? f a player can''t find a few of these things to motivate himself then he shouldn''t be playing football. Are the employees you manager not self motivated by pride, gain a good reputation, gain promotion? You and Hughton can only do so much. I don''t think Hughton has done a good job, but the disgraceful lack of effort on Tuesday by a number of players reflects badly on their nature more in my opinion than Hughton .

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

we may not be losing matches because of the calibre of our players but i dont think any of them are playing to their playing to that calibre.   Sloppy passing, poor crosses,  no covering,  poor movement, failure to be available for a pass, poor shooting, selfish choices,  weak in the tackle (if one is even made) are the basics that are not done week after week.   

I do agree the players have to take some responsibility but are being sheilded for some frankly shocking performances by the sole focus on hughton  

[/quote]^^ What i''ve probably tried to say but less successfully than you I fear.