Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Our defeat at Southampton...

It occurred to me this morning that even if Southampton hadn''t scored that last minute goal against us, we would still need to win at Fulham to survive. So although it seemed like the end of the world at the time, with hindsight losing at Southampton didn''t matter at all! Funny old game...

I beg to differ Fool. The point was huge. Sothampton would now be relegated, having only 30 points and unable to catch us at what would have been us on 34 points. That only leaves two teams to compete against us. A tie at Fulham would have made it impossible for WBA to catch us, even if they win their last game. So if we tied at Fulham the only team able to pass us would have been Palace, who would need a victory at Charlton to do so. Bookmakers would say that scenario would greatly improve the odds of Norwich staying up. All water under the bridge now, I agree.

Yeah but couple that with the dropped points at Palace, Man City at home, etc etc etc...

We could be high and dry by now! However, we will just have to stick it to Fulham at the weekend. Besides which, it''s made this season far more "exciting" ;-)

It would have meant a draw would definitely keep us above a winning Baggies though - the team I actually worry about most as they have the easiest game this Sunday, and the last 2 weekends have seen the bottom side jump up to safety. Let''s hope it''s not a third and we go down on goal difference!

Eh, what about if we get beat and Palarse or Southampton draw? We''re down. I would have taken that extra point at St Mary''s to avoid this scenario.

The only positive i can see is that now we have to go for the win to ensure survival. No other scenario should even be contemplated by the team in the build up.

I think we all knew what Fool meant DD but his comment about losing at Southampton not mattering at all was innaccurate. It made a huge difference in the odds.

If we had had to get a draw at Fulham it would have been even worse than it is now simply because I fear that we would have gone out to defend and sat back, which we have shown time and again we cannot do. With the exception of Brum the last few gameswhen we knew we had to win we went out there and took the game on. We need to do that again. We have the strikers to do it and i feel confident we can score. But the big question is how deep the midfield and defence sit.

The lost points at Palace were even more significant than Saints. We would have had 35 now and clear of WBA and Palace.

Of course had we held the 3-1 at Palace and the 3-3 at Saints we would now be safe and it would all be over.

Having to win is better for us - we are awful at trying not to lose in the same way that we can be awful at trying to preserve a lead.  We can and we will win.