Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

25-man squad - winter 2013/14

I think this is right, and may help with keeping track of moves in and out. The current squad is 23 strong:

Ruddy, Bunn, Nash.Martin, Whittaker, Turner, Ayala, Bassong, R Bennett, Olsson, Garrido.Fer, Fox, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Tettey.Pilkington, Snodgrass.Becchio, Elmander, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.

----

Supplemented by  the still under-age: Redmond, Murphy, Murphy and assorted other youngsters.---On loan are Ayala (season-long), Surman and Rudd, all of whom would count in the squad if brought back.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Surman done much this season?

Don''t think I''ve heard anything about him at all![/quote]MOTM performance against the 6inners last week iirc Bless him....

With Ayala extending to the end of the season that means a current 22 man squad. A couple of arrivals possible, but only loans likely unless a major signing can be made at summer transfer price. We proved with Hoops that Jan. prices are excessive.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Elliot Bennett out for the rest of the season ?[/quote]That is a question. He is out of the current squad because it was known he wouldn''t be available. If he is fit for some part of the rest of the season, and Hughton wants him, then he takes up a place in the 25. But if Ayala is on loan until the end of the season, then Bennett can fill that slot.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I think this is right, and may help with keeping track of moves in and out. The current squad is 23 strong:

Ruddy, Bunn, Nash.Martin, Whittaker, Turner, Ayala, Bassong, R Bennett, Olsson, Garrido.Fer, Fox, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Tettey.Pilkington, Snodgrass.Becchio, Elmander, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.

----

Supplemented by  the still under-age: Redmond, Murphy, Murphy and assorted other youngsters.---On loan are Ayala (season-long), Surman and Rudd, all of whom would count in the squad if brought back.

[/quote]An update from McNally:"We...have no intention of releasing any of our senior players." Leaving aside Ayala, on a season-long loan, that seems to mean that none of the above, such as Fox or Becchio, will be sold. With implications for the number of players we can recruit this month, especially if Elliott Bennett is included in the post-January 25, bringing the effective number to 23.

Purps, I don''t think there''s a limit to the number of players you can have, it''s just that you can only register 25. (I think a couple of years back we had 26 and Ward was omitted), so Hughton could sign another half dozen players before he decides on his final 25.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Purps, I don''t think there''s a limit to the number of players you can have, it''s just that you can only register 25. (I think a couple of years back we had 26 and Ward was omitted), so Hughton could sign another half dozen players before he decides on his final 25.[/quote]Lapps, you mean do a Crystal Palace and end up having to loan out players you''ve just bought at inordinate expense! As a shareholder I have already warned McNally against any kind of shenanigans like that.Of course you are right that we can have more than 25, but we are not so well off that we could have many extraneous players lying around the place. With Ward I think it was partly that he''d had a bad injury, and partly that he was just thought not to be Premier League quality, and would be loaned out with a view to a permanent move.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I think this is right, and may help with keeping track of moves in and out. The current squad is 23 strong:

Ruddy, Bunn, Nash.Martin, Whittaker, Turner, Bassong, R Bennett, Olsson, Garrido, Ayala.Fer, Fox, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Tettey.Gutierrez, Pilkington, Snodgrass.Becchio, Elmander, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.

----

[/quote]Updated with Gutierrez, provisionally placed as a winger. That takes the squad up to 24 although as Ayala is apparently going to be on loan for the rest of the season his presumed axing from the list will take it back to 23.

The question is will the club be looking at short term loans to bolster the squad where needed or long term signings, who like R Bennett and Howson might take a bit of time to get up to speed (so to speak) ?We have two spaces presuming Fox, Bechio aren''t sold go on loan

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I think this is right for the current squad, and may help with keeping track of moves in and out.

Ruddy, Bunn, Nash.Martin, Whittaker, Turner, Bassong, R Bennett, Olsson, Garrido.Fer, Fox, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Tettey.Gutierrez, Pilkington, Snodgrass.Becchio, Elmander, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.

----

Supplemented by  the still under-age: Redmond, Murphy, Murphy and assorted other youngsters.---On loan are Surman and Rudd, both of whom would count in the squad if brought back.

[/quote]Updated with Gutierrez, provisionally placed as a winger.[/quote]Updated with Ayala gone, taking the current numbers in the squad to 23.

As the window is about to start hotting up, this is a clearer (I hope) version of where we stand. Some of the categories are arguable (Martin being able to play in central defence, for example) but this counts as a rough guide. Players in red are those linked (however tenuously with a move away). Players in blue are under-age players who do not count to the 25 but have appeared in the first team this season:

Goalkeepers:
Ruddy, Bunn, Nash.Fullbacks: Martin, Whittaker,  Olsson, Garrido.Central defenders: Turner, Bassong, R Bennett.Wingers: Gutierrez, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Redmond, Murphy.Central midfielders: Fer, Fox, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Tettey.Strikers: Becchio, Elmander, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.---That makes 23 "age" players. On the injured list is Elliott Bennett and on loan are Surman and Rudd, all of whom would count in the squad if brought back. The two areas where we missed out in the summer were in central defence, which now looks even thinner, and an attacking/creative midfielder. We have been linked, with various degrees of tenuosity, to some central defenders. But not, as far as I have seen, to any No.10s.As to the likelihood of arrivals to add to Gutierrez, it is a bit of a myth that we are averse to spending in the winter window. In January 2012 we bought Ryan Bennett and Howson, for several million. And last January we got in Camp and Kamara on loan, spent probably well over a million on Becchio, and tried very hard until the last moment to spend £7m on Hooper.We may not like paying inflated prices, but it is clear the desire to try to ensure Premier League status has overridden that the last two Januarys.

As said elsewhere, Gutierrez may not be a number ten, but his ability to play across the midfield could allow the likes of Pilkington, Howson, Redmond, Snodgrass or Fer the chance to play that role.

Pilkington in the Chelsea game earlier in the season looked like he had an understanding with RVW and was constantly pushing up to support whilst on the attack, the most like a 4-3-3 we have probably seen.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]As the window has now just over 24 hours to run this is a clearer (I hope) version of where we stand. Some of the categories are arguable (Martin being able to play in central defence, for example) but this counts as a rough guide. Players in red are those linked (however tenuously with a move away). Players in blue are under-age players who do not count to the 25 but have appeared in the first team this season:

Goalkeepers:
Ruddy, Bunn, Nash.Fullbacks: Martin, Whittaker,  Olsson, Garrido.Central defenders: Turner, Bassong, R Bennett, Yobo.Wingers: Gutierrez, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Redmond, Murphy.Central midfielders: Fer, Fox, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Tettey.Strikers: Becchio, Elmander, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.---That makes 24 "age" players. On the injured list is Elliott Bennett and on loan are Surman and Rudd, all of whom would count in the squad if brought back. The two areas where we missed out in the summer were in central defence, which has seen Ayala depart and Yobo arrive, and an attacking midfielder. As far as I know we have not been linked to any No.10s.As to the likelihood of arrivals to add to Gutierrez and Yobo, it is a bit of a myth that we are averse to spending in the winter window. In January 2012 we bought Ryan Bennett and Howson, for several million. And last January we got in Camp and Kamara on loan, spent probably well over a million on Becchio, and tried very hard until the last moment to spend £7m on Hooper.We may not like paying inflated prices, but it is clear the desire to try to ensure Premier League status has overridden that the last two Januarys, and apparently relegation would be akin to death for us this time.That said, our only deals so far are loans (for which there might be all sorts of reasons[:P]) but then most deals are done on the last day. We may still be in talks for a permanent signing.But more than one arrival now (and/or Elliott Bennett being included) would have to be balanced out with a departure or two.[/quote]Updated with Yobo and some comments.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 30/01/2014 8:32 PM:

"But more than one arrival now (and/or Elliott Bennett being included) would have to be balanced out with a departure or two."

Does not have to be a departure, they will just be ineligible to play in the PL.

Assuming that official tweet is correct this is the squad for the rest of the season (barring the unlikely acquisition of any free agents) with under-age players in blue. We have 24 "age players. If any out of currently injured Elliott Bennett and on-loan Surman and Rudd are included they count as "age" players and would necessitate a cull from those listed:Goalkeepers: Ruddy, Bunn, Nash.Fullbacks: Martin, Whittaker,  Olsson, Garrido.Central defenders: Turner, Bassong, R Bennett, Yobo.Wingers: Gutierrez, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Redmond, Murphy.Central midfielders: Fer, Fox, Hoolahan, Howson, Johnson, Tettey.Strikers: Becchio, Elmander, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel.---