Sign in to follow this  
My_left_foot

Form guide - say no more

See the current form guide, regardless of the cr*p before. Says it all, we are in free fall and haven''t played any of the top teams in this run! Relegation form

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

It is what it is! Sadly, we don''t have that ''10 game unbeaten run'' ahead of it. How about 9 wins in the last 45 games? Find anyone worse than that in the PL?

[quote user="Warren Hill"]I just looked at a form table and we were fifteenth..?

Surprised me to be honest because we''re in free fall and relegation form.[/quote]
On the last six games - our form puts us at 19th. Continue at this rate and we will of course, be relegated.
And re your sarcastic post above, do you not think we are in relegation form? We weren''t earlier in the season but certainly taking it at six game chunks as is the norm for a form guide and we have the form worthy of the bottom of the premiership.
Maybe i''m particularly pessimistic as i saw the Christmas period as an ideal opportunity to pick up points, certainly for my prediction for the season these games were vital and we''ve generally been poor throughout.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Presumably it is a rolling six games?, does not really mean anything unless you have an agenda, bit like an MOT only valid at that particular point in time................

[/quote]

Not reallty an agenda SOB, just a thing that football has published since I was a lad. Google "form guide" and I bet you find mulitples of six .  Always 6 games. Might be wrong of course. I often am. Ask Mrs Beard.  

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Warren Hill"]I just looked at a form table and we were fifteenth..?

Surprised me to be honest because we''re in free fall and relegation form.[/quote]
On the last six games - our form puts us at 19th. Continue at this rate and we will of course, be relegated.
And re your sarcastic post above, do you not think we are in relegation form? We weren''t earlier in the season but certainly taking it at six game chunks as is the norm for a form guide and we have the form worthy of the bottom of the premiership.
Maybe i''m particularly pessimistic as i saw the Christmas period as an ideal opportunity to pick up points, certainly for my prediction for the season these games were vital and we''ve generally been poor throughout.
[/quote]

Sarcasm? No, dear. Form table this, free fall that, whatever, you can make it whatever you like.

The only table that counts is the league table.

If we don''t win for the rest of the season, we will go down an we''ll deserve to. As it stands, like it or not, we are above the drop zone on merit.

I don''t like losing, I don''t like us not playing well, I don''t enjoy watching us look disjointed, I don''t enjoy watching us look second best.

By the same token I don''t enjoy doom-mongering and making the team I support out to be worse than they are. That''s all. Why look at 1,3,6 or even 10 games when there''s a well publicised form table readily available that takes into account all the games that everyone has played?

I''m pretty sure that come May it will be the teams that performed the worst over 38 games rather than the last 6 that get relegated (might be a blessing with our infamous run in) and if that includes us, we''ll deserve to go down.

Can''t argue with that and, on current form, we have every reason to be optimistic. Pointless debate - everything is fine and we have nothing to worry about.

I don''t like doom mongering and agree the team isn''t as bad as the position suggests - there just might be something else wrong .. Mmmm?

Curiously when I sat down to dinner this evening we were 20th in the form table. After some very nice, and perfectly pink, lamb, with a half decent Cab Savignon , we were 19th, which may have had something to do with Swansea playing Man Utd., or it might have been that we have improved.  I dont know, because I haven''t looked. But I''ll take any good news.

I''m now going back to the Stilton. We might even rocket up to 18th.

What''s skewing the whole form table (and league table) is the home loss to Fulham.

Over the last 6 way games we rank 12th, over the last 6 home games we rank 13th, but over the last 6 home and away games we rank 19th - Swansea are 20th.

But if we had beat Fulham we''d rank equal 12th - such is the knife edge between failure and success.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]So just Swansea below us in the form table, their last 6 included games against Chelsea, Man City, United and Everton.[/quote]Yeah Swansea must feel lucky they played that rubbish team from East Anglia, even they could get a point against them...oh wait

"So just Swansea below us in the form table, their last 6 included games against Chelsea, Man City, United and Everton"

Funny how things like injuries and schedules work out isn''t it - just over half way through the season in the only table that really counts they are a single point above us...

Before I say anything else I would like to make it clear that I am concerned about our position and I remain to be convinced that Chris Hughton is the right man for Norwich City to progress under. With that out of the way it is clear to me that the OP has an agenda by pointing to our current form and stating we will be relegated as a result of that current form. My issues with using current form as the only indicaor is that it is a moveable feast and only tells part of the story. Personally I prefer to use the league table as an indicator as it takes into account all games played to date.

The fact remains that over half of the Premiership is separated by only six points, every weekend round of fixtures you will see teams that are desperate for points playing each other or playing teams in contention for the title/european places!! , it is going to be a nervous few months for a lot of teams and their supporters.....

As usual a good balanced post SOB. I''ll be honest and say that I don''t like this league as it''s been for the last two reasons. It''s extremely difficult to work out who''s pushing for top half and who''s flirting with relegation. The difference between the two can be as small as the last result. But in our case it''s really the Fulham result. A point at Palace and defeat at Everton are much what would be expected. A win on Saturday would get our season back on track. Of course we''d still be closer to relegation than we''d like. But we''d probably be as close to top half as we realistically hoped for. At the end of the day nobody expected us to do any better than 10th.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

Curiously when I sat down to dinner this evening we were 20th in the form table. After some very nice, and perfectly pink, lamb, with a half decent Cab Savignon , we were 19th, which may have had something to do with Swansea playing Man Utd., or it might have been that we have improved.  I dont know, because I haven''t looked. But I''ll take any good news.

[/quote]

Another defeat today. I only had fish fingers, bread & butter, beans and a tin of pepsi max but it appears we''ve improved since the last loss...

"Where has this free fall taken us from?"

It has taken us from 4 points away from relegation zone and 7 points away from bottom place (3rd December).

To 2 points away from the relegation zone and 5 points from bottom (now).

The two teams immediately below us each have a game in hand and we could slip to 16th or 17th tomorrow.

Are you blind Nigel?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[/quote]

Another defeat today. I only had fish fingers, bread & butter, beans and a tin of pepsi max but it appears we''ve improved since the last loss...

[/quote]

Well I''ll take that NN . Frankly it all looks so gloomy I''ll take anything. I promise I won''t spoil it all by looking at it after the Man City game. I think we might nick it. Or at least not let in 5.

PS Left overs for me tonight. But most of the mussels opened... 

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I''ll take that NN . Frankly it all looks so gloomy I''ll take anything. I promise I won''t spoil it all by looking at it after the Man City game. I think we might nick it. Or at least not let in 5.

PS Left overs for me tonight. But most of the mussels opened... 

[/quote]

You never know what will happen in football. I''m not writing the Man City game off. If we win I may upgrade to chicken dippers. But I have a feeling this will continue to fluctuate as the season progresses. I purposely didn''t bump it after a win or a draw cuz I didn''t want to be accused of wearing yellow and green specs....

Although I do[;)]