Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

*** MCNALLY ON RADIO NORFOLK AT 10AM***

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I think the two comments that are key are just how important not getting relegated is (ie not fussed about getting knocked out of the FA Cup - didnt help Wigan after all) and the news that the managers brief is to keep us out of the bottom 3 - same thing but slightly different messages on each (and slightly different from the much publicised aim of improving year on year that came out in the AGM)

It seems 17th is a result this season & I think this means hughton will remain here until the summer.     

[/quote]We budgeted for 16th apparently.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Buh"]I read it as he''s definitely got to beat hull and probably definitely got to beat Newcastle to survive. Right now I can''t see either, both are in pretty good form and will view us as an easy win.

If the players Believe in Hughton as they say, they have to win Saturday. We need a huge performance.[/quote]

If this really is the equivelent of Worthy''s two game ultimatum then it beggars belief. Worthy''s two games were in October with most of the season ahead of us. When these two games are gone we will have just six home games left. three of which are Citeh, Arse and Suarez.

[/quote]It doesn''t sound like it. If Hughton was going to be sacked before Hull McNally would not have given the interview. But it looks as if he was setting the scene for Hughton to be sacked straight after Hull if the result is bad. Particularly a loss that then puts us in the bottom three.I very much doubt the Newcastle game would come into it. Hughton will either be safe by then or gone. The point being that after Hull a new manager would have a bit of time in which to work, with one spare weekend.[/quote]

In reality Worthy only got the Burnley game so I don''t see the difference. But in effect what we are saying is that with all the information the board are privvy to it comes down to us beating Hull. The chances are we will beat them. Then what? With players coming in and Hughton preparing the team for Hull all the signs are that the board are backing him. Some are desperately looking for signals to the contrary but I don''t see any.

[/quote]I am not desperately looking for signals, nutty, but there is no doubt that McNally, who didn''t have to give that interview, was deliberately throwing some out there for public consumption. And very clear ones. Such as the criticism of the tactics at Everton and:"The brief to Chris is to keep us out of the bottom three and to move us up the table. And that hasn''t changed... We would not contemplate relegation. Too many people have worked for too long to put our club in the Premier League."

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]"The brief to Chris is to keep us out of the bottom three and to move us up the table. And that hasn''t changed... We would not contemplate relegation. Too many people have worked for too long to put our club in the Premier League."[/quote]

But is this anything we didn''t know already?

I think he might do a owen coyle and ask DM if he wants him to resign

I thinl I am right that dave whealen the agreed a pay off suits both parties !

then nice chris can go back to Hertfordshire and tell everyone nasty Norwich spoke about me on the radio I had to leave wasn''t my fault blah blah and everyone will feel sorry for him again !!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Buh"]I read it as he''s definitely got to beat hull and probably definitely got to beat Newcastle to survive. Right now I can''t see either, both are in pretty good form and will view us as an easy win.

If the players Believe in Hughton as they say, they have to win Saturday. We need a huge performance.[/quote]

If this really is the equivelent of Worthy''s two game ultimatum then it beggars belief. Worthy''s two games were in October with most of the season ahead of us. When these two games are gone we will have just six home games left. three of which are Citeh, Arse and Suarez.

[/quote]It doesn''t sound like it. If Hughton was going to be sacked before Hull McNally would not have given the interview. But it looks as if he was setting the scene for Hughton to be sacked straight after Hull if the result is bad. Particularly a loss that then puts us in the bottom three.I very much doubt the Newcastle game would come into it. Hughton will either be safe by then or gone. The point being that after Hull a new manager would have a bit of time in which to work, with one spare weekend.[/quote]

In reality Worthy only got the Burnley game so I don''t see the difference. But in effect what we are saying is that with all the information the board are privvy to it comes down to us beating Hull. The chances are we will beat them. Then what? With players coming in and Hughton preparing the team for Hull all the signs are that the board are backing him. Some are desperately looking for signals to the contrary but I don''t see any.

[/quote]I am not desperately looking for signals, nutty, but there is no doubt that McNally, who didn''t have to give that interview, was deliberately throwing some out there for public consumption. And very clear ones. Such as the criticism of the tactics at Everton and:"The brief to Chris is to keep us out of the bottom three and to move us up the table. And that hasn''t changed... We would not contemplate relegation. Too many people have worked for too long to put our club in the Premier League."[/quote]

If anything those comments have moved the goalposts in Hughton''s favour because at the AGM we were hearing phrases like "mid-table mediocrity" and "pushing for top half". Mind you we are 3 points off 10th.

I would prefer death over Chris Hughton to be honest. I have just got my Cardiff tickets I will be jolly hacked off if he is still in charge at that date.

I feel the return of the Messiah getting ever closer

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]"The brief to Chris is to keep us out of the bottom three and to move us up the table. And that hasn''t changed... We would not contemplate relegation. Too many people have worked for too long to put our club in the Premier League."[/quote]

But is this anything we didn''t know already?[/quote]There is a difference between us knowing - or assuming it - and it being spelled out quite so starkly when the manager''s future is on the line. At the AGM there was a comparitively mild comment about the financial implications of relegation, but along with woolly comments about expecting mid-table mediocrity quite soon. To decide to do an interview (McNally didn''t have to) and state baldly that relegation is unacceptable and must not happen is a step change.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Again, could this be deliberate? Bring a new manager in before the window opens or before it closes, he walks in and says I want A, B and C. Perhaps the board dont have the finances to back the signings a new manager would want, so theyre stringing it out until the window closes so a new manager has to work with what he''s got and the board dont have to find any funds?[/quote]I''m sure on some far distant planet this is hw things are and this makes senseWhereas in reality all this will have been discussed and agreed BEFORE the manager is appoint/agrees to join usPerhaps another grown up might care to explain to our simple friend that board meetings are minuted and I doubt if any of the board are going to get involved in this sort of nonsense .... more so given how it could come back to bite them later.

There is little doubt that McNally instigated the interview in recognition of gathering discontent. A vote of confidence is the kiss of death, so a voluntary radio interview - knowing the questions that were going to be asked - was a clever move.

The highlighting of the real goal of avoiding relegation should not come as a surprise to anyone as Ricardo says and - in context of recent history - staying up represents great success and will continue to do so.

McNally and the board want Hughton to succeed and have always wanted this. McNally stressed how often he and Hughton are in contact, the (new?) joined up approach to managing the club both on and off the field ( not the dreadful old ways of "we let the manager manage and don''t get involved"). Hull is certainly pivotal and McNally still does not want his hand forced, but results are results.

McNally did not criticise the tactics at Everton at all. In the context of the interview he was defending Hughton against criticisms of negativity by pointing out that he "would not have been so attacking as to play 2 up against Everton"

All are praying for a win against Hull.

Too many people reading between the lines and too much conjecture.

The board know the true state of affairs regarding the relationship between the playes and Hoots. If it has gone sour he would be gone so the fact that he is still with us tells us that the players are still behind him.

In realality the only thing that matters is staying in the PL and we are still on target to do so. With our limited squad and injuries the FA cup just is not important. Only PL riches matter.

I have heard must win so many times this year. Hull is the first real "Must Win" for Hoots. He will be gone if he loses it.

Unlike so many on here I want Hoots to succeed but even I now think that there will be know coming back from anything but a win on Saturday.

A difining game. Lose and a new manager comes in and I think we will struggle to stay up. Win and Hoots has more time, injured players back and new players it use. I think he would keep us up.

Cannot wait for Saturday!!! Exciting times.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I think the two comments that are key are just how important not getting relegated is (ie not fussed about getting knocked out of the FA Cup - didnt help Wigan after all) and the news that the managers brief is to keep us out of the bottom 3 - same thing but slightly different messages on each (and slightly different from the much publicised aim of improving year on year that came out in the AGM)

It seems 17th is a result this season & I think this means hughton will remain here until the summer.     

[/quote]

Perhaps the true meaning of these quotes then is that the Fulham result is due to fielding a second string to protect the first XI, who have the more important business of performing in the Premier League, an approach McNally supports? With this interpretation, McNallys quotes would seem supportive after all

going down going down going down

its all excuses, all this not be in the bottom 3 rubbish, its a dangerous way to run anythingreach for the stars you fools

we will end up like wolves with mcnally choosing to do things this way, by the time we bring someone in it will be too late to stop the slide and it will be yeovil away next season with a squad of left overs after anyone worth having leaves (ruddy,bennett,redmond,hooper,fer,olsson,howson,wolf)this has been coming for so long now

Speaks volumes that the bully boy mob conveniently ignore the comment that our budget is lower than many of our peers

[quote user="T"]Speaks volumes that the bully boy mob conveniently ignore the comment that our budget is lower than many of our peers[/quote]

[quote user="T"]Speaks volumes that the bully boy mob conveniently ignore the comment that our budget is lower than many of our peers[/quote]before this january transfer window opened, we were the 9th highest spender in the league this summerhe hasnt got a clue, get him out, i dont even care who replaces him anymore but hes had too long already

DoesIt really annoy anyone else when people pronounce his name "macanally"? how are some people getting the extra "a" in there?

Mind you, I once met an old boy on the train who kept going on about "helmanderer" it was hilarious!

For me there is a split in the board which is why Hughton is still manager.

The reason for this is the remit for his employment appears to have changed. Last season, it was to keep us up. He did, albeit closer than the league suggested.

This season, Bowkett said he wanted improvement on the season before i.e 10th. I don''t recall McNally backing that view up. Today, he announced it is his job to keep us out of the bottom three.

Somethings not right here, but my money is that the board don''t know what to do because they don''t collectively agree in whether Hughton should go.

I''d just like to say thank-you to "he likes paella" for pointing out ''MCNALLY ON RADIO NORFOLK AT 10AM'' with enough time for me to log on to the BBC link, once again thanks for that "he likes paella"

Mick Dennis the official unofficial voice of smith and jones has stated clearly on twitter that the board are unanimous in there support of hapless. Any talk of a split is inaccurate

This has a ring of 2004 all over it, a nice manager who just can''t get the best out of his players, his tactics at this level don''t work and the board backing him because we are not in the bottom 3 yet! What happens if we are bottom of the league after Newcastle? Will they act then or if we win the next two home games and sit 7 points clear of the bottom 3 will those fed up with Hughton back down?

This is a catch 22 and I certainly can see why the board are backing him even if I am not happy about it!

Two critical games at home which in the boards eye''s need continuity without upheaval, can you imagine the atmosphere with the players had Hughton gone with no replacement at such a critical time in our season!

My honest opinion is that the board are right to see these next two matches through, if we don''t get the points on the board then Hughton will be gone, it might be too late in our eye''s but I think it make little odds to the next two games, either way keeping Hughton or sacking him was always going to be a calculated risk for the next two games.

This is a key to our survival and from my own personal view even if we stay up, I really don''t want Hughton here next year, I hope that the board follow other clubs and look for a dynamic prgressive manager and staff who wnat to achieve, have big ambition and most important motivate player to play a good level of football with passion & effort each game!

It was an excellent insightful interview. DM was asked about the Everton 4-4-2 tactic and gave his opinion "as a football man" then stressed that Hughton is the manager, it''s down to him and that they had chances to get something from the game.

There was no direct criticism of Hughton. It was a good professional interview from DM. It''s very clear now. If we slip into the bottom 3 and stay in the bottom 3 for more than a game, Hughton will be out.

There is no question that this board will act. Keep the faith, back the team. We''ll be fine.