Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

*** MCNALLY ON RADIO NORFOLK AT 10AM***

Well after Hull is better than after Newcastle, we would be a laughing stock if we did it at the very end of the month.

I hope that McNally is lining up his replacement NOW though, so that the new man gets at least a week to try and bring in a face or two, and the chance to study the team against Hull and watch our recent games on DVD.

I''m very afraid that this could be a McCarthy at Wolves type situation though, where nobody wants the job despite them not being in the relegation zone (and being debt free), leaving an unqualified and inexperienced nobody to try and motivate a team of underperforming but talented players.

That''s my fear now.

Again, could this be deliberate? Bring a new manager in before the window opens or before it closes, he walks in and says I want A, B and C. Perhaps the board dont have the finances to back the signings a new manager would want, so theyre stringing it out until the window closes so a new manager has to work with what he''s got and the board dont have to find any funds?

Don''t forget guys, that money talks!

This was clearly the case with Ole Gunnar Solskjaar.

I have always considered it just as worthwhile, even more so, spending decent money on a top manager as you would on players.

Therefore, if we go after that type of manager, offer them an attractive salary, we can get them.  Yes it would mean less for other players, but 1 player isn''t going to change your fortunes as much as the right manager.

Snake

We could do worse than Hughton.

Ricky Sbragia, Steve Keen, Terry Connor.

Examples of managers that relegation threatened teams have been lumbered with after sacking high profile managers.

The Terry Connor situation is what I''m afraid of. They sacked McCarthy in February, after the transfer window.

They tried desperately to appoint a manager and everybody turned them down. They wouldn''t have before the window.

My fear is that we will struggle to appoint anybody if they can''t bring a few of their own players in.

Looking at Saturday''s fixtures for the teams below us, it''s hard to see Norwich falling into the bottom three even if we lose to Hull. Arsenal v FulhamWest Ham v NewcastleMan City v CardiffSunderland v SouthamptonPalace v StokeBut if those results went against us as well, it would be the perfect storm which would surely see Hughton''s departure.I''m wondering if the worst result for us would be a draw against Hull, allowing the board to sit on their hands for another week.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Looking at Saturday''s fixtures for the teams below us, it''s hard to see Norwich falling into the bottom three even if we lose to Hull.

Arsenal v Fulham
West Ham v Newcastle
Man City v Cardiff
Sunderland v Southampton
Palace v Stoke

But if those results went against us as well, it would be the perfect storm which would surely see Hughton''s departure.

I''m wondering if the worst result for us would be a draw against Hull, allowing the board to sit on their hands for another week.
[/quote]

That would be a disaster for us Mr Pete.

If we stick with Hughton we might get relegated. If we sack Hughton we still might get relegated. Its a gamble either way. I, however, would prefer for us to role that dice and get in a more attacking manager who can inspire the players to play passionate, entertaining football. I''d rather go down losing 4-3 than to go down losing 4-0. It is also worth considering that should Hughton still be in charge at the end of the season and we get relegated he will be sacked. If a new manager comes in and we get relegated it is likely that they will not be sacked. Given this scenario I would think that a manager who has been with a team 6 months is going to be more settled and therefore ready for the challenge of pushing for an immediate return to the PL than someone who is brought it at the beginning of the season.Moo

The interesting comment for me was McNally saying how long either him OR Hughton have at the club...

has someone above McNally know started sharpening the Axe... has it been a case of "get it wrong again David and you''re next!"?

I think its a real head in the sand approach to not be able to look beyond whether we''re in the relegation zone or not. Last season we were in the relegation zone for a while before the 10 game unbeaten run/blip, and we werent relegated. Similarly there are always teams who ultimately get relegated despite spending a lot of time just above the relegation zone. Simply looking at the table and not beyond is very blinkered. The league table is so tight this year the positions are a false economy. Every week its possible that the right set of results could swap things around with teams who were previously quite relaxed suddenly panicking because of the false sense of security a few extra points gave them. 10th isnt a million miles away from 20th this season, the relegation zone is irrelevant.

Decisions should be made on morale of the team, tactics, form, effectiveness and results, not league position when the league is so tight.

Which team is playing like theyre bottom of the league? No bottle, no confidence, cant defend, cant score, not beating their rivals. The fact we''re not actually currently occupying the relegation zone isnt something that should be used to demonstrate that everything is hunky dory.

I keep thinking of the Emperors new clothes...

I think someone''s earlier post is key.

If we hit the bottom three he''ll be sacked.  Essentially as long as we are above bottom three we only need to do as much as (or better than) those below us.  A win against Hull keeps us out of the bottom three for a bit longer.  The problem with this strategy is the last four games - essentially we have to get ahead of the others below by sufficient amount before then - that''s tricky when you think we probably have to win 5 games - and probably at least one, maybe two of those might need to be away games.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]"I wouldn''t expect us to not get anything out of four games, besides the last four games of the season" TRY THE LAST 8 McNally![/quote]

The Radio Norfolk presenter was very slow in not homing in on that. It would have been interesting to have heard McNally wriggle out of that one. He would have had to obfuscate and plonk a bit there. Hardly a forensic interview technique with the great man.

After this I believe that Chris Hughton should resign. He won''t due to the finacial cost of doing so but having his tactics critisised is beyond the pale.

Waiting to drop into the relegation zone is weak and does not cover either side in glory.

Added to that DM has stated that it''s a results based business and chooses not to publically back CH so it''s over really.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

The interesting comment for me was McNally saying how long either him OR Hughton have at the club...

has someone above McNally know started sharpening the Axe... has it been a case of "get it wrong again David and you''re next!"?

[/quote]

Maybe he was simply stating that he is responsible for the managers performance and that he knows that if the team gets relegated he is also responsible. Perhaps he was simply stating it is his responsibility to ensure the manager is effective, and that after having set out the criteria by which Hughtons performance is to be judged, this is the yardstick by which his own job performance is measured. I think it was him accepting some responsibility and acknowledging his role, rather than shirking it and simply blaming the manager.

I won''t pretend that''s it''s a situation with an easy answer.You can bet the board were patting themselves on the back for sticking with Chris when we beat West Ham and Palace, at a time when clubs around us were sacking their managers. Norwich are still above the bottom three and a result on Saturday would push us close to mid-table.But the problem we have is Hughton cannot demonstrate any ability to consistently get results. Leaving relegation or safety feeling like a matter of pure chance.A new manager might be a gamble, depending on who the club bring in.  But would it be more of a gamble than staying with Hughton and wishing he can do his job properly?

What Snake said, if remaining in the Premiership is as important to the club as McNally says it is, use the cash we have to sack Chris Hughton and on hiring a half decent manager, none of the names being bandied around on this forum fill me with confidence.......

I also think the key was DM said I have not had a meeting /spoken to hughton yet this morning ,he is preparing the team for sat ( or words to that effect )

now that could mean if they have a meeting later things DM might still be thinking it over or things  might come to a head in the meeting  and he is sacked ?

calerwood might say lets play rvw on the wing it worked for me with holty at forest and DM saying that''s it that has broke the camels back ! OUT !

We need to be careful at this stage of the season what type of manager we bring in. Ideally we need someone who can motivate and get the players we already have playing effectively in moreorless the same system Someone who is going to radically change the approach (like Bielsa) or a chequebook manager does not have the time to do what they need. This type of manager is someone for the summer, someone who can buy and implement a revolution over the summer. Trying a revolution at this point with the need to buy new players in a short amount of time and in a panicky fashion at inflated prices could be disasterous. Revolution is best left for the summer

In spite of the spin being put on it I can''t say that the interview  told me anything I didn''t know already.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Buh"]I read it as he''s definitely got to beat hull and probably definitely got to beat Newcastle to survive. Right now I can''t see either, both are in pretty good form and will view us as an easy win.

If the players Believe in Hughton as they say, they have to win Saturday. We need a huge performance.[/quote]

If this really is the equivelent of Worthy''s two game ultimatum then it beggars belief. Worthy''s two games were in October with most of the season ahead of us. When these two games are gone we will have just six home games left. three of which are Citeh, Arse and Suarez.

[/quote]It doesn''t sound like it. If Hughton was going to be sacked before Hull McNally would not have given the interview. But it looks as if he was setting the scene for Hughton to be sacked straight after Hull if the result is bad. Particularly a loss that then puts us in the bottom three.I very much doubt the Newcastle game would come into it. Hughton will either be safe by then or gone. The point being that after Hull a new manager would have a bit of time in which to work, with one spare weekend.[/quote]

In reality Worthy only got the Burnley game so I don''t see the difference. But in effect what we are saying is that with all the information the board are privvy to it comes down to us beating Hull. The chances are we will beat them. Then what? With players coming in and Hughton preparing the team for Hull all the signs are that the board are backing him. Some are desperately looking for signals to the contrary but I don''t see any.

[quote user="Casey"]McNally: Results are the only thing that matter, and whether Chris or indeed I myself have a long term future here is dictated by results.[/quote]I was at the Capital Canaries AGM two days after the Colchester humiliation under the hapless Bryan Gunn. Asked if the Board backed the manager Delia and MWJ said they did but DM simply said, " This is a results orientated business ". Despite a 4-0 mid-week win at Yeovil Gunn was history the following weekend.If we''re to have any chance of improvement the Board need to put us all out of our misery now.

[quote user="ricardo"]In spite of the spin being put on it I can''t say that the interview  told me anything I didn''t know already.[/quote]I didn''t know McNally preferred death to relegation.  Makes you wonder what Delia plans to do to him if we go down.

I think the two comments that are key are just how important not getting relegated is (ie not fussed about getting knocked out of the FA Cup - didnt help Wigan after all) and the news that the managers brief is to keep us out of the bottom 3 - same thing but slightly different messages on each (and slightly different from the much publicised aim of improving year on year that came out in the AGM)

It seems 17th is a result this season & I think this means hughton will remain here until the summer.     

[quote user="Pyro Pete"][quote user="ricardo"]In spite of the spin being put on it I can''t say that the interview  told me anything I didn''t know already.[/quote]I didn''t know McNally preferred death to relegation.  Makes you wonder what Delia plans to do to him if we go down. [/quote]Hung drawn and quartered in the centre circle as pre-match entertainment perhaps?