Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Missing posters

The Vicar is still around, under a different name. He still posts the same reasoned football debate but now his threads don''t get dragged into religious arguments. One of my favourite posters.

crabbycanary wrote the following post at 31/12/2013 4:47 PM:

Ron, is that your profession and reason for not posting, so much?

------------------------------------------------

? Sorry crabby? Prob a bit slow on the uptake, but I don''t follow.

Am I the only one who remembers people''s avatars more than their names? Never ceases to confuse me when people change their pictures and there are posters like ''Wings of a Sparrow'' that I just think of as Muse. Also was it Morty who had the photo of a lady with some *ahem* guinea pigs. Walking Man with The Scream, Jas will always be Leon McKenzie scoring and so on.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Am I the only one who remembers people''s avatars more than their names? Never ceases to confuse me when people change their pictures and there are posters like ''Wings of a Sparrow'' that I just think of as Muse. Also was it Morty who had the photo of a lady with some *ahem* guinea pigs. Walking Man with The Scream, Jas will always be Leon McKenzie scoring and so on.[/quote]

i''d forgotten my McKenzie Avatar! It only got changed as i logged on here one day and it had vanished... It''s ruddy making a save now... might change it again soon though

[quote user="ron obvious"]crabbycanary wrote the following post at 31/12/2013 4:47 PM:

Ron, is that your profession and reason for not posting, so much?

------------------------------------------------

? Sorry crabby? Prob a bit slow on the uptake, but I don''t follow.[/quote]

Ron, it was the ''Fat Barman, Always Travelling'' bit

I get fed up with commenting on here. I read the board most days as it keeps me in the loop now that I live out of Norwich. I find lots of posts informative however they almost always descend into abuse/attacks/trolling and by the 5th or 6th response have lost the vein of the original thread.

Difficult to get an actual football debate without someone accusing the other of being an arm chair fan, moron, lover, hater etc etc.

I shall always continue to read and check the board - but for us ''original'' message board users - it''s not the same. In the early days before social media - it was great to be able to reach out and share Norwich related thoughts with like minded fans. The original intent of the board seems to have been lost somewhat.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Am I the only one who remembers people''s avatars more than their names? Never ceases to confuse me when people change their pictures and there are posters like ''Wings of a Sparrow'' that I just think of as Muse. Also was it Morty who had the photo of a lady with some *ahem* guinea pigs. Walking Man with The Scream, Jas will always be Leon McKenzie scoring and so on.[/quote]

I sometimes get confused between Morty and Gingerpele because of Morty''s avatar. Throw GJP in for good measure and its all very confusing! Not to mention the multiple wizards wazzocks firsts and seconds...

As has already been pointed out in the thread, we''ve lost a number of good posters because 90% of the time, reasoned debate descends into childish name calling and abuse, so eventually those good posters get to the point where they think "F**k it, I''m just wasting my time here"...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]As has already been pointed out in the thread, we''ve lost a number of good posters because 90% of the time, reasoned debate descends into childish name calling and abuse, so eventually those good posters get to the point where they think "F**k it, I''m just wasting my time here"...[/quote]I''d say that''s spot on, Indy. I guess we''re all guilty of it from time to time, often in the emotional aftermath of yet another no-show or defeat from Hughton''s men. So, if it happens very sporadically, then it''s something that is bound to occur on a football message board.But there are also  a (growing ?) number who resort to name calling and invention on a regular basis, or merely come on here to foment arguments and trouble. And I suppose you cannot blame people if they decide that the aggro from them is not worth it, and just stop posting.

My impression is that there are some who believe that a thread or a point of view is a "battle" in that unless you have persuaded everyone that you are right, then you have lost. That is often when the aggression and name calling come in. Some do not seem to be able to "agree to disagree" and respect the fact that of all the myriad of opinions and influences there is no "right" or "wrong" just opinions. No Message Board, no community and no Weatherspoons (as someone likened it to) will ever agree on everything, particularly on the more emotive subjects. It really doesn''t matter if even no-one agrees, but you can''t go around seeking to "convert" people to your own view and get upset when that does not happen.

I don''t agree with LDC''s current stance on our manager, but if he /she/it holds that view then that''s fine, it''s just not mine.

Nor can you expect that everyone will conform to social niceties. In a pub at least there is some public admonishment or peer pressure, on here the dynamics are different and you will get much more extreme views with no threat of any comeback.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]As has already been pointed out in the thread, we''ve lost a number of good posters because 90% of the time, reasoned debate descends into childish name calling and abuse, so eventually those good posters get to the point where they think "F**k it, I''m just wasting my time here"...[/quote]The message-board is going through a particularly tedious phase. I suspect the apparent lack of an interesting alternative has kept down the number of leavers.

I''ve recently started using this forum again after quite a few years off. I agree that a lot of it is just dross nowadays. I know it was frustrating in the days when you had to wait until the mods approved your posts (you respond to someone only to find that a few hours later when all the other responses have been approved, yours is sat under about 5 people saying the same thing) but the board seemed to have less trolls back then.

After reading this thread, it''s bought back memories of many names who I also indeed no longer see posting anymore (and had totally forgotten about). One wonders if they got bored and left, turned into lurkers, changed name or who knows what.

I also can''t believe I''ve now had an account on here for nearly 11 years. Who''s got the oldest account? Pretty sure on a previous (mid 2000s maybe) version of this board there used to be a "Last active" date and time next to user names. I might be wrong, but shame it''s gone if so.

[quote user="Blainsey"]I get fed up with commenting on here. I read the board most days as it keeps me in the loop now that I live out of Norwich. I find lots of posts informative however they almost always descend into abuse/attacks/trolling and by the 5th or 6th response have lost the vein of the original thread.

Difficult to get an actual football debate without someone accusing the other of being an arm chair fan, moron, lover, hater etc etc.

I shall always continue to read and check the board - but for us ''original'' message board users - it''s not the same. In the early days before social media - it was great to be able to reach out and share Norwich related thoughts with like minded fans. The original intent of the board seems to have been lost somewhat.[/quote]

This!

I''m not sure if anyone else has considered this, but another factor at present , which is a bit of a problem for a football forum, is that there is very little actual FOOTBALL to talk about for long periods. I''m afraid the reality of life as a lower ranking Prem team who is out of both Cups is that there are regular times when you go for many days without a match to preview or discuss. This, of course is what''s happening right now...best part of a fortnight''s gap between games. In the Champ or Lge One there were lots of midweek league games, things like the C1C and JPT, plus no International breaks often. It was very rare to go a week without at least one first team game. But of course now , the reality is different.And, I''ve noticed that when there''s no game, the devil gives work for idle hands, and the level of bickering goes up. The only non-match subjects recently have been either Hughton Out/In stuff, or matters relating to the transfer window. Plus a bit of reminiscing from time to time. All of which are contentious by their nature.So, hopefully as Sunday draws nearer there will be more things related to the REAL matter of a football match v Tottenham to consider....

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]In the Champ or Lge One there were lots of midweek league games, things like the C1C and JPT, plus no International breaks often. It was very rare to go a week without at least one first team game. But of course now , the reality is different.

[/quote]Ahhh, reality rears it''s ugly head.Never mind Reg, lots to look forward to next season then?Every cloud has a silver lining.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''m not sure if anyone else has considered this, but another factor at present , which is a bit of a problem for a football forum, is that there is very little actual FOOTBALL to talk about for long periods. I''m afraid the reality of life as a lower ranking Prem team who is out of both Cups is that there are regular times when you go for many days without a match to preview or discuss. This, of course is what''s happening right now...best part of a fortnight''s gap between games. In the Champ or Lge One there were lots of midweek league games, things like the C1C and JPT, plus no International breaks often. It was very rare to go a week without at least one first team game. But of course now , the reality is different.And, I''ve noticed that when there''s no game, the devil gives work for idle hands, and the level of bickering goes up. The only non-match subjects recently have been either Hughton Out/In stuff, or matters relating to the transfer window. Plus a bit of reminiscing from time to time. All of which are contentious by their nature.So, hopefully as Sunday draws nearer there will be more things related to the REAL matter of a football match v Tottenham to consider....[/quote]That is probably a factor. And all the arguments over the manager, and whether we will stay up. I have placed a very small bet that we will (with Fulham, Cardiff and West Brom going down) but some posters seem to lack my sunny certainty...Whatever the reasons, though, this board is more tedious than at any time since I  joined, and now is in danger of validating the low opinion of it I gather is sometimes voiced elsewhere.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]That is probably a factor. And all the arguments over the manager, and whether we will stay up. I have placed a very small bet that we will (with Fulham, Cardiff and West Brom going down) but some posters seem to lack my sunny certainty...Whatever the reasons, though, this board is more tedious than at any time since I  joined, and now is in danger of validating the low opinion of it I gather is sometimes voiced elsewhere.[/quote]A brave prediction Purple. We all like to prognosticate but I am still reluctant to name one, let alone all three.Last year at this time predicting was as easy as falling off a log but not so much this season.  Things are usually pretty clear by Xmas and usually become more so as the games roll by but this season has proved an exception to that rule. In fact it looks even more difficult to sort out than it did a couple of months ago. I was close to calling West Ham and Palace as certainties at one time but am now glad that I didn''t. In late November I said that if this season was like all the other Prem seasons the relegated teams would then come from the then bottom six, Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, Palace. Well, this season has been nothing like previous seasons with an enormous disconnect between bottom an top halves and now at well beyond the halfway stage you can even add WBA, Villa and Hull to that bunch.It may be impossible to call for a while longer yet. The only certainty for me is that things remain uncertain.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]That is probably a factor. And all the arguments over the manager, and whether we will stay up. I have placed a very small bet that we will (with Fulham, Cardiff and West Brom going down) but some posters seem to lack my sunny certainty...Whatever the reasons, though, this board is more tedious than at any time since I  joined, and now is in danger of validating the low opinion of it I gather is sometimes voiced elsewhere.[/quote]A brave prediction Purple. We all like to prognosticate but I am still reluctant to name one, let alone all three.Last year at this time predicting was as easy as falling off a log but not so much this season.  Things are usually pretty clear by Xmas and usually become more so as the games roll by but this season has proved an exception to that rule. In fact it looks even more difficult to sort out than it did a couple of months ago. I was close to calling West Ham and Palace as certainties at one time but am now glad that I didn''t. In late November I said that if this season was like all the other Prem seasons the relegated teams would then come from the then bottom six, Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, Palace. Well, this season has been nothing like previous seasons with an enormous disconnect between bottom an top halves and now at well beyond the halfway stage you can even add WBA, Villa and Hull to that bunch.It may be impossible to call for a while longer yet. The only certainty for me is that things remain uncertain.[/quote]In reality, ricardo, I am only reasonably sure about Fulham and Cardiff, but the odds on that double were not worth it. Only a treble made sense, and there was a choice for the third team, including us. But West Brom have had an awful second 3rd of the season, so I plumped for them . My first ever bet on football and probably my last...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]That is probably a factor. And all the arguments over the manager, and whether we will stay up. I have placed a very small bet that we will (with Fulham, Cardiff and West Brom going down) but some posters seem to lack my sunny certainty...Whatever the reasons, though, this board is more tedious than at any time since I  joined, and now is in danger of validating the low opinion of it I gather is sometimes voiced elsewhere.[/quote]A brave prediction Purple. We all like to prognosticate but I am still reluctant to name one, let alone all three.Last year at this time predicting was as easy as falling off a log but not so much this season.  Things are usually pretty clear by Xmas and usually become more so as the games roll by but this season has proved an exception to that rule. In fact it looks even more difficult to sort out than it did a couple of months ago. I was close to calling West Ham and Palace as certainties at one time but am now glad that I didn''t. In late November I said that if this season was like all the other Prem seasons the relegated teams would then come from the then bottom six, Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, Palace. Well, this season has been nothing like previous seasons with an enormous disconnect between bottom an top halves and now at well beyond the halfway stage you can even add WBA, Villa and Hull to that bunch.It may be impossible to call for a while longer yet. The only certainty for me is that things remain uncertain.[/quote]In reality, ricardo, I am only reasonably sure about Fulham and Cardiff, but the odds on that double were not worth it. Only a treble made sense, and there was a choice for the third team, including us. But West Brom have had an awful second 3rd of the season, so I plumped for them . My first ever bet on football and probably my last...[/quote]The odds are very stingy at the moment. Fulham and Cardiff must certainly be favourites but to make it worthwhile you need to find a bit of value. The only team I can see that are falsely priced are Hull City. 7-1 is ridiculous, they should be much shorter IMO. However, I am by no means confident enough to part with any of my hard earned green.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I don''t disagree with any of your points, Nutty; my main concern is simply the ratios/proportion has shifted between these different groups and characters. And a lot of really good posters have gone AWOL. As a case-in-point, I can never think of you Nutty without thinking of your main sparring rival Bly. Is he still around? I haven''t seen him/her post in donkeys''.Mr Trucker, if memory proves correct, Camel Dung was indeed a Col U fan but was on this forum because he worked for Archant (it was also the time when Norwich and Colchester were in the same league as each other)

[/quote]I don''t think so! And if he still reads this forum I suspect he would laugh rather loudly at that idea. I don''t know for a fact, but I assume the reason he no longer posts is because he was banned, and banned for persistent anti-Archant posts. He was not a fan of its journalism.[/quote]

Just looked back at email I got from Cam in 2009 and he signed off with "Bloody Archant!"

LOL

[/quote]

And the old boy is still ok because I heard from him again this week.

Still no sign of Babes though and that is a worry.

Some have returned under new names. Eric Pickles is now Reggie. Others in his little group like Doc Pillory, Hughton''s accessories and Ubenmki are obviously people who previously posted under another name. Drury''s testamonials it WITS although she vowed never to post again. It''s a shame really. It devalues the board. But all you can do is to carry on posting honestly and not get dragged down to their level...

I love posting a load of squit on here, specially after game, when ive consumed far too much Kronebourg!! then posters can knit pick at spellings!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]I love posting a load of squit on here, especially after game, when I''ve consumed far too much Kronenbourg!! then posters can nitpick at spellings!![/quote]

Sorry Zema, bit late on that.

As has been mentioned a lot of good posters have left, but have been replaced by some other good posters.

I don''t remember a time when this forum has had as many WUMs and trolls as it does now.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I don''t disagree with any of your points, Nutty; my main concern is simply the ratios/proportion has shifted between these different groups and characters. And a lot of really good posters have gone AWOL. As a case-in-point, I can never think of you Nutty without thinking of your main sparring rival Bly. Is he still around? I haven''t seen him/her post in donkeys''.

Mr Trucker, if memory proves correct, Camel Dung was indeed a Col U fan but was on this forum because he worked for Archant (it was also the time when Norwich and Colchester were in the same league as each other)

[/quote]

I don''t think so! And if he still reads this forum I suspect he would laugh rather loudly at that idea. I don''t know for a fact, but I assume the reason he no longer posts is because he was banned, and banned for persistent anti-Archant posts. He was not a fan of its journalism.

[/quote]

Just looked back at email I got from Cam in 2009 and he signed off with "Bloody Archant!"

LOL

[/quote]

And the old boy is still ok because I heard from him again this week.

Still no sign of Babes though and that is a worry.

Some have returned under new names. Eric Pickles is now Reggie. Others in his little group like Doc Pillory, Hughton''s accessories and Ubenmki are obviously people who previously posted under another name. Drury''s testamonials it WITS although she vowed never to post again. It''s a shame really. It devalues the board. But all you can do is to carry on posting honestly and not get dragged down to their level...

[/quote]

What ever happened to the Pinkun Message boards first romantic couple?

The golden age of bulletin boards have long gone. Way before mass social media took over and anyone with a differing opinion was an instant troll.

In the olden days, you could call yourself the ''Caister Water Tower'' and say you saw Dale Gordon''s bare arse bobbing up and down in the Centurian car park and fellow posters used to believe every word.

Kids don''t know what the internet was back then on dial up using canaries connect isp. Come to think of it, t''internet was that slow it took an hour to call someone a tw*t.

There should be a maximum length of time and posts which any member should be allowed. There are to many people on this forum keep spouting the same old nonsense. It is new posters like me that will keep the board exiting and relevant.

I disagree, I think local posters (Norfolk, Suffolk or eastern Cambridgeshire) should be banned from membership.

This site is intended solely for exiled plastics like me and you natives should be meeting up at the Ribs of Beef to talk this over in person - or in your case the Hare and Hounds.

We''ve got to take the plastic power back

[quote user="Canary fun and games "]There should be a maximum length of time and posts which any member should be allowed. There are to many people on this forum keep spouting the same old nonsense. It is new posters like me that will keep the board exiting and relevant.[/quote]

Leaving already.

What a shame........