Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Jamar Loza, David Phillips and Robert Fleck..

Watched a marvellous football match between Bradford and Coventry this afternoon. Two teams of different styles that mixed together turned into a proper old football match without the soap opera of the premier league attached! Thank you international break! [:)]

Now the main reason I watched it was to see if Jamar Loza got any game time. Unfortunately he didn''t but I enjoyed watching John Fleck, who''s uncle is Canary legend Robert Fleck and a substitute appearance from Aaron Phillips who''s dad is Canary and Coventry legend David Phillips.

Anyone else enjoy it?

[quote user="im spartacus"]Unfortunately i was beside a muddy pitch in hemsby watching my sons team lose [:(][/quote]

That''s even properer football. Right in the grassroots! [:D]

No soap opera there!

I hope you didn''t get fighting!! Saw that once or twice at local kids games[:O]

Good lad!! A lot of the lino''s cheat like hell!!! I had two different boys teams based at the club over the years. One was brilliant, run properly, they even too the boys on tour in the summer! The other one were...

Well let''s just say not as good!! But you''ve probably seen how stuff goes on!!

Never even tempted to cheat nutty, but you are right some of them are a disgrace i don''t know how they sleep at night , i find it hard enough keeping my mind on the game and being honest let alonefinding the time to cheat... if i do make a mistake it is genuine... one thing i have noticed is the best refs are the younger ones 15/16 year olds they are very professional and don''t take any crap... it makes me laugh when they say if you get any grief from parents or players don''t react and just call them over and they will deal with it... hats off to them they get around a tenner a game it''s a nice earner for them as well if they get a few games on a Sunday [:D]

Independent refs is the way forward. I guess the younger ones are close enough to remember the problems from when they played.

I had a team go right through until the boys were out of agegroup. It was really sad in the end because it had become a big part of the parents lives and they were all friends. I guess they stayed friends but without the focal point they drifted. There''s a bit of a gap before adult football.

I think youngsters are getting attracted to refereeing more and more, I think as the refs get an almost celebrity status now and getting fast tracked to the prem in there 20s it isn''t portrayed  as a job for jumped up middle aged men with a chip on the shoulder like it used to be. I know what you mean about a big part of everyone''s life my lads team have been together 9 seasons and this will most likely be their last year, don''t get me wrong there are some complete w@nkers running teams but the majority of people involved deserve a lot of credit for the time and effort put in... i will certainly miss it  [:''(]

[quote user="im spartacus"]I think youngsters are getting attracted to refereeing more and more, I think as the refs get an almost celebrity status now and getting fast tracked to the prem in there 20s it isn''t portrayed  as a job for jumped up middle aged men with a chip on the shoulder like it used to be.

I know what you mean about a big part of everyone''s life my lads team have been together 9 seasons and this will most likely be their last year, don''t get me wrong there are some complete w@nkers running teams but the majority of people involved deserve a lot of credit for the time and effort put in... i will certainly miss it  [:''(]
[/quote]

Unfortunately that isn''t the case - the FA are reporting fewer and fewer new applicants to become refeeres. Hence the need to fast track people.

Unless something changes soon there will be a big shortage in refs in 5 or 6 years time which will have knock on effects in the professional leagues.

you may be right in general bethnal but in the area where i live there seems to be plenty of youngsters taking up the whistle to earn a few quid on a sunday, I think a lot of them might be filling the gap between youth and adult football that nutty referred to but it''s good to see all the same [:D]

Yeah anyway, about the actual topic…

I live near coventry so like to watch from time to time. Shame about the score, thought they were good value for the win. Hard to believe they started the season with -10 points.

John Fleck is an interesting one. Great player, played for Rangers for a while.