Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Wes next to Fer and Howson?

I did not see the game but understand that Wes played as part of a midfield 3 for Ireland on Friday. This being the case, if we want to goo back to 4-5-1 for the game at Newcastle on Saturday doe people think it would perhaps be a better option to bring him in rather than recall Johnson? By all accounts Wes played well on Friday and I think him with Fer and Howson could work. Ok there is no out and our defensive midfielder but then we might actually be able to keep the ball which is generally a fairly effective form of defence.

Unless you play Wes as the central midfielder then not for me. Howson is terrible at centre-mid, but a totally different player when allowed to play further forward. Howson in my view must only be considered an attacking midfielder and must never play centre mid again!

Im not sure it wouldnt be worth another try with wes at central midfield. He''s never been a direct goal threat, what we like him for is his ablity to create and spot a pass. He can do that from deeper, he doesnt need to be so far up the pitch - indeed he''d have more players to pass to further back. Only problem is his lack of physical presence. His defensive workrate is excellent, he really tries hard to do his defensive duties, he''s just not really suited to it. But hey, its not like BJ or Tettey dont have massive gaps in their game either.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

Unless you play Wes as the central midfielder then not for me. Howson is terrible at centre-mid, but a totally different player when allowed to play further forward. Howson in my view must only be considered an attacking midfielder and must never play centre mid again!

Im not sure it wouldnt be worth another try with wes at central midfield. He''s never been a direct goal threat, what we like him for is his ablity to create and spot a pass. He can do that from deeper, he doesnt need to be so far up the pitch - indeed he''d have more players to pass to further back. Only problem is his lack of physical presence. His defensive workrate is excellent, he really tries hard to do his defensive duties, he''s just not really suited to it. But hey, its not like BJ or Tettey dont have massive gaps in their game either.

[/quote]

Howson has played centre-mid pretty much all season...

He certainly hasn''t been used as a player just off the striker this season. When Hughton switched to the midfield three of Howson, Fer and Tettey - Howson didn''t need to defend as much, but he certainly still occupied the middle of the pitch - he and Fer played pretty much identical roles in midfield from Stoke through to Cardiff and I wouldn''t call Fer an attacking midfielder. Against West Ham Howson was definitely a central midfielder and probably should have been given the Man of the Match award.

You may be thinking about at times last season when Howson played alongside Johnson and was required to defend more - he isn''t a defenisve midfielder that''s for certain, Lambert tried using him at the base of a diamond as well a couple of times but it didn''t stick.

I''ve tried to make that point before Bethnal! I can''t see any evidence of Howson playing as an AM this season. He was simply just more restricted last season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''ve tried to make that point before Bethnal! I can''t see any evidence of Howson playing as an AM this season. He was simply just more restricted last season.[/quote]

I think the 4-4-1-1 Hughton used a lot last season has become so ingrained in people''s minds they automatically assume that is the formation used everytime - especially as Hughton will often change formation, but without changing the players.

It happened a bit with Lambert and the diamond as well, when Norwich first got promoted they played E. Bennett and Pilkington as wingers in a 4-4-2 for a few games, but many people still assumed it was a diamond midfield.

There is a difference between Howson being played as an attacking midfielder and Howson playing as a normal central midfielder with a bit of licence to get forward. The latter is what he has been playing recently and he;s good at it. what he;s not so good at is when he''s asked to sit as a holding midfielder as he quite often had to do last season and at the start of this.

Fer is kind of the same, The only real holding midfielder we have are Tettey and Johnson but with the latter struggling this season i think we would be best playing Wes, Howson and Fer in a trio will all of them having licence to break forward at times but obviously not at the same time!

To be honest I don''t really see the point.

In the past few games we''ve created more than adequate opportunities to score goals it''s been down to the finishing more than the creating. Seems like we''re trying to fit players into the team that we don''t need really. I''d be more than happy to stick with 442 with hooper and RvW together

I can''t see Wes operating in the midfield in the Premiership, although he must "push" Johnson defensively - the latter has been poor, despite his undoubted commitment. I still think that CH will pick Johnson in the absence of Tettey, if he wants to go slightly more defensive.

While Wes is still probably capable of beating an opponent, I think that he doesn''t have the height, weight or strength to be an effective all-round midfielder. EPL midfielders are frequently big, powerful and quick. In recent years he has learned how to get back and defend a little better than in earlier years, but who would come off best if he tried to tackle someone like Fer steaming forward?

A centre midfield of Wes, Fer and Howson, would almost certainly mean Wes playing further forward, and thereby limiting the chances of either Howson or Fer getting forward. 

As to keeping the ball better, I agree that Johnson is a serial offender, but Wes has been known to go over-elaborate and lose possession.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]we might actually be able to keep the ball which is generally a fairly effective form of defence.[/quote]With respect Jim..............not if you play Wes.  As Salopian also posts, he has be known to give away possession, to which I would add............rather a lot.