Sign in to follow this  
YellowFellow

toivonen

Apologies if this has already been mentioned(i have looked and cant see any other posts) but does anyone think we will be back in for this guy

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/443475/Newcastle-Fulham-and-Norwich-on-alert-as-Ola-Toivonen-targets-new-club

I''d imagine so, we didn''t sign anyone instead of him did we?

Elmander was the one one I remember us actually signing after the Toivonen/Quag bids. And he''s only on loan anyway. Would be pretty surprised, especially if he does leave if we don''t at least bid again.

We seem to be linked with quite a few Swedes these days: Jiloan Hamad, Mikael Bomann, and now Toivonen reloaded.

Of the three I''d be most excited with Hamad (on a free), due to his creativity.

I hope not. Kept us hanging before as if he would be doing us a huge favour. Seems to have a bit of an attitude. Elmander (who does not convince me yet) seems to start ahead of him for Sweden. I hope we steer well clear.

There is no chance he will come to us with hughton''s negative brand if football. In fact any attacking minded player would be made to join us at the moment whilst we have hapless managing the club. Hughton out now

The Toivonen deal is not necessarily dead in the water. With the passage of time a lot of things might have changed and clarified. Toivonen has probably come to terms with the idea that no "big teams" are after him. PSV might get content with a smaller fee as this is their last chance to get anything for their player, which might translate for a better deal for the player. (If memory serves me right personal terms were the stumbling block.) In January survival chances can also be assessed better, which will probably be a key factor. And last but not least: leapfrogging Elmander in the pecking order at club level might result in leapfrogging him in the Sweden pecking order. So, who knows. I''d still pick Hamed (or both).

I must admit to being concerned about Toivonen''s mental attitude, and they way he treated us in the summer. Having said that, he is a big, powerful player with a great shot on him. Just imagine him and Howson threatening the goal from way out. Becchio seems to be forgotten and while Elmander creates a few chances for others he does not seem likely to score many.

We are short of an attacking midfield-cum-support striker with a good record, and if we don''t sign him I think that we need someone of his ilk in January. Is he worth the risk?

Would like to know why you think that joanna, personally i think toivonen /zlatan combo would be next on the managers mind not toivonen /emander if elmander/zlatan isnt working.

I was going to say that joanna.

wcorkcanary..... Ibrahimovic is a genius who wants/needs freedom to roam about a bit in a trequartista type role. Just like he did against England, where he just simply destroyed us. He''s scored a couple of hat-tricks since I believe, he has never played so well for Sweden.

Playing Elmander in the #9 spot to lead the line allows Ibrahimovic to drop deep and roam, he is their #10.

Toivanan is a #10 or attacking midfielder really, not really a #9.

So it is Toivanan behind Ibrahimovic or Ibrahimovic behind Elmander. This is the way that Sweden have played over the past couple of years. Look what has happened to Ibrahimovic''s goalscoring record since being allowed to do what he wants:

Sweden national team

Year Apps Goals

2001 5 1

2002 10 2

2003 4 3

2004 12 8

2005 5 4

2006 6 0

2007 7 0

2008 7 2

2009 6 2

2010 4 3

2011 11 3

2012 8 11

2013 9 7

Total 94 46

18 in his last 17 games.

Ibrahimovic is wasted as a #9.

It''s not like Toivonen doesn''t start games for Sweden though.... started the same number of games last season as Elmander.

"if elmander/zlatan isnt working"

What makes you think it isn''t working? Ibrahimovic has never scored so many for Sweden, it works very well.

I didnt say that i thought it wasnt working ,Juge, i said'' if it isnt working''. i too think Zlatan is fantastc, as i said on a post a while back him and elmander desroyed the Irish, taking turns to drop or lead the line, but would have thought that , barring injury, it would be elmander replaced by toivonen or vice versa , rather than Ibra coming off. Which is what i meant when asking Joanna why she thought Zlatan was keeping Toivo out. Either way he (toivo) would definitely add summat to our front half, he''s bit of a boyo.