Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

The greatest disappointment

Not meant to be a negative post at all, more a thread for nostalgic looking back and wondering what might have been. Who or what has been the greatest disappointment you can remember as a fan? A signing who flopped, a player who was sold, a game that was lost, or a player who never made it? Think there are some real contenders. Im going to get the ball rolling in terms of what might have been and nominate Martin O''Neill leaving after 6 months in charge. Though we''ve had a great 5 years recently, there were some pretty lean years. Im pretty sure what happened to Leicester in the late 90''s would have happened to us, and we might not have been in the 2nd tier for so long.

Roeder''s treatment of Huckerby. If ever we needed a decent player would would give his heart and soul it was the season after he was unceremoniously turfed out of the club. Similarly the failing to offer Malky another year when we needed a decent centre back badly.

Worthington at Cardiff - making that substitution at a Birmingham free kick,without that I''m sure we would have won. Also for allowing poor Daryl Sutch to take a penalty.

Despite several over the years, the doubl of being relegated to the third tier and then being tonked 7-1 at home in the first game of the new season was very very hard to take.

Mostly signings.  Which shows that part of the football fan''s mentality (or at least this one) is that of a ten year old on Christmas Eve.I really thought Darren Beckford was going to be a great signing.I really thought Peter Thorne was going to be a great signing.I really thought Mike Sheron was going to be a great signing.I really hoped Dave Strihavka was going to be a great signing.I really thought Jamie Cureton was going to be an adequate signing.

buying my son a new kit for his 8th birthday in october 2005 he insisted on having ashton on the back and i thought as he signed a new contract 2 months earlier he should get a season out of it, then he p1ssed off in january and my son wouldn''t wear it any more  [:(] £60 down the kahzi

Jumping out of my bed onto my Action Man helicopter. Christmas morning and I had already knackered my best present.

Other than that, coming back from a holiday in Australia only to find out we had sold Eadie.

Chris Martin not making it in the Prem.

Charlton pre relegation. Colchester post.

Bellamy leaving.

For me, I don''t think anything will ever top the heart sinking when Billy Bingham scored in the second half, and we went on to lose 1-0 to Luton Town in the replay of the 1959 FA Cup semi-final. 

Sunderland semi for me too, John ''the b******d'' Byrne, devastating. Just prior to our match Portsmouth looked like they were going to knock Liverpool out, it was practically in the bag :-(

[quote user="Europe_93"]Sunderland semi for me too, John ''the b******d'' Byrne, devastating. Just prior to our match Portsmouth looked like they were going to knock Liverpool out, it was practically in the bag :-([/quote]

To this day I maintain that goal was offside... it was 22 years ago nearly.. I was 10... i hated Byrne, I hated Sunderland....

My dad wasnt well but promised me We''d be going to Wembley if we won.. Byrne scored 2 minutes later... in the commentary a young Johnathan Pearce mentions he thinks byrne was off...

I still hate byrne, hillsboro and a tiny bit of me hopes Sunderland wind up... sod the friendship the clubs have! After the game I sat on my bedroom floor and cried for ages...we''ve never been anywhere near since...

F**k you Sunderland!

Relegations hurt the most because it''s a long wait for the s season to start against lower qality and lower profile teams, and even longer before there''s much chance of seeing a game on tv.

The silver lining is this board becomes fa more animated and entertaining.

Darren Beckford. A waste of a VAST amount of money. He was just under a million quid then, when a million quid was shed loads. So, not only was he crap, we''d wasted the money on him too.6-0 at Fulham last day pf the Prem. i thought we had a fighting chance as we''d had a great run-in towards the end of the season.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Europe_93"]Sunderland semi for me too, John ''the b******d'' Byrne, devastating. Just prior to our match Portsmouth looked like they were going to knock Liverpool out, it was practically in the bag :-([/quote]

To this day I maintain that goal was offside... it was 22 years ago nearly.. I was 10... i hated Byrne, I hated Sunderland....

My dad wasnt well but promised me We''d be going to Wembley if we won.. Byrne scored 2 minutes later... in the commentary a young Johnathan Pearce mentions he thinks byrne was off...

I still hate byrne, hillsboro and a tiny bit of me hopes Sunderland wind up... sod the friendship the clubs have! After the game I sat on my bedroom floor and cried for ages...we''ve never been anywhere near since...

F**k you Sunderland![/quote]

It was. Not the final centre to Byrne for the goal but the initial pass down their right hand side into our half. I was right in line and it was offside.

Just seeing the Cup Semi against Sunderland mentioned has made me grumpy, I was so p***** off about that game, I''m going for a bacon butty to try and cheer up!

Some good shouts so far. The Fulham 6-0 hurt. Real bad. It was in our hands and I was convinced we''d done enough. One of the most bizarre games Iv ever seen. If that game had been played at any other point in the season theres no way it would have been 6-0. Just conceded? Sh*t better throw on another striker. Sh*t or bust. Unfortunately it was bust

The thing that strikes me now about that Fulham game is how we all seemed to think we could get something from the game, even in the pub beforehand the optimism was everywhere, Fulham weren''t that good, we were overdue, we''d been playing well etc.

We were playing our 19th away game of the season having failed to win one of the previous 18 but there was still belief we''d do it, this year after a couple of tonkings at Man City and Man United, plenty of our support didn''t think we were capable of earning a home win against West Ham!!!

What has happened to us?!?! [:''(][;)]

The play-off final.

Clint bloody Easton hitting long balls into the corners as soon as Norwich scored trying to waste time with 30 mins to play and Paul McVeigh being subbed off for Daryl Sutch just before Birmingham equalised. I''d never seen Norwich bottle a game so dramatically and only had to wait a few seasons to see them do it again.

Plenty of unpleasant reminders on this thread!

For me it was the sale of Chris Sutton. Not that it was a shock in itself - we were a selling club then, reliant on transfer fees to balance the books. But the fact that the chairman had said so clearly "if he goes, I go" rather than the usual "he''s not for sale at any price BS" made me think he was actually serious about not selling Sutton, so when it happened it was all the more annoying.

The Fulham game is close tho, the fact that they were "on the beach" and a win would guarantee safety made me think we''d have every incentive to really go for it. To see so many players go AWOL was just gutting