Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Greatest ever keeper?

Really sorry if this annoys anybody but the board is quiet and I thought it might be interesting to argue the merits of the best ever players we''ve had in these positions. Some have a few obvious contenders. Others there are multiple candidates. Who would you select for this honour and why? Really sorry if this annoys anyone, thought it was a better way than asking people to name their greatest ever XI as the individual positions can be discussed.

Its about who is the second greatest really behind Kevin Keelan, so for me it has to be Gunny for his overall achievements as a player, dodgy ending but a great keeper. 

To be fair we have had some great, consistent,  Keepers. My earliest is Keelan and my heart says he was the best. But Gunny was a top keeper, as was Woods  . Ruddy is no slouch but KK probably had the best all round game , he was fantastic with crosses and dominating his 6 yard box.

Must be K K , I''ll never forget the Cup win at Manure even though Denis Law scored the best goal I''ve even seen in the same game.

I have mixed memories of Kevin Keelan. He made some of the most spectacular saves I''ve seen, but he had a temper and could be a bit rash at times. I remember him getting the hump with a Leeds player, throwing the ball down to square up with him and another Leeds player kicking the ball into the net he had left unguarded.......and the goal stood!

[quote user="Phil Schmil"]I have mixed memories of Kevin Keelan. He made some of the most spectacular saves I''ve seen, but he had a temper and could be a bit rash at times. I remember him getting the hump with a Leeds player, throwing the ball down to square up with him and another Leeds player kicking the ball into the net he had left unguarded.......and the goal stood![/quote]

It''s King Kev for me Phil. But even I can see he does benefit from playing in an era where we all wore yellow and green glasses and generally mistakes were forgotten almost as soon as they were made. In the more modern game every performance is analysed through I don''t know how many camera angles looking for mistakes which are then analysed for a week on the message boards where if a fan supports their players through those yellow and green specs then it''s seen as a fault.

The only reason anyone would not nominate Kevin Keelan is because they are too young to have seen him. His misfortune was to play in the golden age of English keepers. There were probably ten keepers who would get into the England squad today but even so Kevin got to okay for England B and was highly regarded across the game.

Ken Nethercott, Sandy Kennon, KK, Chris Woods, Gunny - we have been fortunate in goalkeepers over the years. KK was a real showman and his temper was always eventful. I still remember a home tie with Northampton Town when both teams were going well and KK decided their right winger had been a bit to physical so lamped him resulting in them scoring from the resulting penalty beating the stand in keeper following KK''s sending off. This was in the days before substitutes if I remember rightly.

Robert Green not getting any love? He played for England while still a Canary.

Keelan was okay but he was replaced, so that guy must''ve been even better. Roger Hanesbury! HAH!

Ya I know he retired and Hanesbury sucked.