Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Jed Steer

Nash being on the bench brought the Jed Steer situation to my mind.

Does anybody know the outcome of the tribunal to decide upon our compensation from Villa or has it yet to sit?

I anticipate half a million from this.

I was expecting a fee of around £500,000 - £1 million. These tribunals never award massive transfer fees because ultimately Steer has fantastic potential but at this stage it is just that - potential. If you cast your mind back a while John Bostock was regarded as one of the most exciting young players in the country and Crystal Palace got a pretty derisory figure for him from Spurs. Factor in that Steer is a goalkeeper who don''t traditionally move for a lot of money and anywhere in the ballpark suggested by Broadstairs sounds right to me.

Slight tangent but in my opinion it wasn''t a bad move for Jed at all. He would have been 3rd choice this year at the very best and we don''t know who is the more highly regarded out of him and Declan Rudd. With Rudd excelling at Preston he could have been even further down the pecking order. While it have been nice to have seen him playing first team football for someone he is guaranteed 2nd choice at Villa and has probably trousered a decent pay rise to boot.   

I think these tribunals have it all wrong. Think payouts should reflect these players potentials, so for instance rather than just giving a compensation fee it should be more flexible, for instance we get cash based on appearences he makes for the club, at international level and a percentage of the sell on fee. Thereby if he becomes a revelation at Villa and becomes the new Joe Hart for example we are sizably rewarded, as that is the player we have been robbed of. Similarly if he bombs out and ends up playing non-league we get squat. Seems a lot fairer to me than tryiing to guess what he''ll do in his career

That is usually the type of deal tribunals give for young players Mass Debater.

For John Bostock it was:

"the tribunal declared that Tottenham would pay £700,000 for Bostock, with add-on payments of up to £1.25m dependent on appearances and a further £200,000 should he make his full international debut. A sell-on clause entitles Crystal Palace to 15% of any profit Tottenham makes from any future sale of Bostock''s contract"

I''d expect the Steer compensation to be a pretty similar arrangement. Looks like Palace got just £700k for that, but if he''d fulfilled his potential and got sold for millions could have made them a fair bit of money.

Hopefully our deal will be similar to that.

[quote user="Le Juge"]That is usually the type of deal tribunals give for young players Mass Debater.

For John Bostock it was:

"the tribunal declared that Tottenham would pay £700,000 for Bostock, with add-on payments of up to £1.25m dependent on appearances and a further £200,000 should he make his full international debut. A sell-on clause entitles Crystal Palace to 15% of any profit Tottenham makes from any future sale of Bostock''s contract"

I''d expect the Steer compensation to be a pretty similar arrangement. Looks like Palace got just £700k for that, but if he''d fulfilled his potential and got sold for millions could have made them a fair bit of money.

Hopefully our deal will be similar to that.[/quote]

Thanks - that seems to make far more sense. Would be happy with a deal like that