Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Mark Walton

Just had a blast from the past when this name popped into my head. He was our number 2 keeper for around four years, including the season where we finished 3rd under Walker (left at the end of the season, replaced by Scott Howie).

Gave him a bit of a google and he had a really strange career.... was playing for Wroxham within a year of leaving of Norwich in 1994 at around age 24, was still non-league playing for Fakenham in 1996 at around the age of 26, and then moved from Fakenham to Fulham where he played 40 games in two seasons under Keegan and Wilkins.

Don''t know if there is anything more to the story (like deciding to quit professional football and then changing his mind) but is amazing how you can go from 3rd in the Premier League as understudy to the legendary Bryan Gunn, to playing in front of a 50 people and a dog for two years, and then playing for AL Fayed and Keegan.

Went on to play professionally until he was 34..... and is now of all things a professional cricket coach!

Anybody remember if he was any good? Played 22 top flight games for us apparently so can''t have been tidy enough?

Are you like this in your home life?

Do you sit at the dinner table with your family and then all of a sudden go ''ruel fox - now I remember him playing for Norwich so I''ll bring him up for no apparent reason''

yeah shame on you le juge, fancy posting about an ex norwich city player on a norwich message board, Can you stick to relevant topics please like, sexuality , arthritis and funny little monsters who live under bridges and scare billy goats... thank you  [:D]

Are you like this in your home life refjezdavies?

Deciding what people in your company should or should not talk about in your presence, like some sort of Hitlerite?

[quote user="Pitchforks Torches"]Mark Walton was a good keeper with potential. A shame he didn''t make it big time in my opinion.[/quote]

Thanks, he didn''t have a bad little career, was just that strange couple of years in between where he was playing for Wroxham and Fakenham - he did very well to recover from that, can''t be many players to drop that far down the pyramid and yet make it back to the league system.

I can''t ever remember seeing him play, suspect I did though when very young if he played 22 times.

I would have been about 10, don''t remember many games that early on. Remember more from the next season onwards really.

I remember that game vividly. It was live on the beeb iirc.

I was convinced 110% that we were going to win that game against second division Sunderland. I just couldn''t see how Sunderland were going to win it!

It took me a long, long time to get over it.

"you''ll never beat Mark Walton!!" were the chants from the terraces.

How wrong we were.....

I think he stopped playing professionally, as he developed the floppy hair ''curtains'' syndrome of the early 90s.

This is Mark Walton now: http://cricketwales.org.uk/imageprocessor.ashx?w=100&src=~/uploads/images/boardmembers/G_12032012160244.JPG

No curtains in sight!

Also did he ever make a temporary appearance on feted travel reality series about the world''s greatest tattoo artists, ''Permanent Mark''?

It''s his first name, you see - the same!