Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Greatest ever left winger?

Really sorry if this annoys anybody but the board is quiet and I thought it might be interesting to argue the merits of the best ever players we''ve had in these positions. Some have a few obvious contenders. Others there are multiple candidates. Who would you select for this honour and why? Really sorry if this annoys anyone, thought it was a better way than asking people to name their greatest ever XI as the individual positions can be discussed.

For me its probably got to be Huckerby, though David Phillips had a storming season.

I am old enough to remember Bobby Brennan beating all and sundry down the right wing in the 1950s. He was about 5 times as good as Wes in dribbling!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="OldRobert"]Errol Crossan[/quote]Now I know you''re on a wind up. [:D][/quote]Not at all, another senior moment, wrong way round that''s all...............Bill Punton.

I have fond memories of Bill Punton''s 50-60 yard dashes to the byline. When he got there, an exquisite high cross would inevitably follow - delivered at speed and right into the penalty box. When he didn''t  - well you knew another attempt wouldn''t be long in coming. It was always exciting when Bill had the ball. Great Player.

[quote user="iron_stan"]eadie, should have played for england

[/quote]

Well Huckerby didn''t and he was a far better player.

[quote user="MustardMatters"]I have fond memories of Bill Punton''s 50-60 yard dashes to the byline. When he got there, an exquisite high cross would inevitably follow - delivered at speed and right into the penalty box. When he didn''t  - well you knew another attempt wouldn''t be long in coming. It was always exciting when Bill had the ball. Great Player.[/quote]

He was quick and direct. I had this permanent worry that one day he just wouldn''t be able to stop, and would career on into the crowd, like some cartoon character, leaving a Punton-shaped hole.

Eadie for me - if it wasn''t for his injuries he would''ve surely got a few England caps, especially if you look at some of the dross thats was picked on the left in the late 90s/early 00s period. Hucks was brilliant for us and runs him close. Dave Phillips had an awesome season in 92/93, I was so gutted when he left at the end of that season (especially as he dropped down a division to play for Forest!) But Eadie wins for me. I am too young to remember anyone from an earlier period in the clubs history that the early ''90s.

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]absolute tosh

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

absolute tosh

[/quote]

No, it''s true - Huckerby didn''t play for England.

I was getting to the end of the thread to type in Charlie Crickmore (who lived in Kenny Foggos long shadow from the right wing) and bugger me sideways Kathy beat me to it.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Huckerby with an honourable mention to Phillips.[/quote]

Phillips was an excellent and versatile player but I wouldn''t call him an out and out left-winger in the way Huckerby and Eadie were, or as were two other players worth a mention - John Sissons and Mike Kenning. The latter had a fearsome shot. It wasn''t always on target, but the ball stayed hit.