Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Players to watch out for at the world cup we could realistically buy

I know over the years, signing players on the back of a suprisingly successful tournament has been a bit of a bad idea (Rommedhal, Rigters etc) but what players do you all think will be worth watching in the hope we can get them to FCR next season?

Despite losing their three matches in the confederations cup, i liked the look of the Japanese team, very sharp going forward.

We cant just buy players that excite at a world cup or euro tournament, we need to look at how they play for their club too! We also need to look for players that will fit in with the way we will play. So their is no point in buying 2/3 very attack minded players if we arent going to play that way if they were to join us!But I think the likes of Chile, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland and Mexico will all be worth watching, young and attacking players.At the end of the day, the top players will get picked up by by the top clubs!

But some of them are good and even though it''s early doors, more for personal interest, who should i be looking out for that''s going to take the world cup by storm and isn''t playing in one of the big leagues?

I do fear that the days of proper rough diamond finds may be over due to the extensive scouting done and the fact Man U etc usually sign every 9 year old who can do more than 2 kick ups.

I think we''ll have enough back up in our locker to be able to take a gamble with an attacking signing by next summer, say £5m for a guy who''s done well at the world cup, he either shines and is suddenly worth £30m or flops and gets released from his 3 year deal 2 years early.

For every Eric Djemba Djemba, there''s a Michu!

Work permits can be tricky but Kiyotake and Okazaki of Japan look good players. Past that, Chile look useful, as do Colombia, Ahmed Musa from Nigeria is a class act that we could potentially nab if we got a top ten finish. He might be tempted over from Russia.

In these days of intensive international scouting there are, unfortunately, no ''unknown'' players at world cups anymore (with the obvious exception of North Korea, but even their best players were well known to many).

There isn''t likely to be (m)any players that will burst through off the back of the World Cup - I can''t think of the last time there was such an case. Stephane Guivarc''h to Newcastle maybe - but he turned out to be awful.

You mention the Japan squad, but all their best players are currently with large European clubs and valued over £10m. The possible exception being Kakitani who has come into the squad since the Confederations Cup and is still playing in Japan - he would cost around £2m but the chances of him still being in Japan by the end of January is very slim. This is similar to pretty much every team in the World Cup - the best players for each country are already at a large clubs and will cost millions.

The world cup does test their big game mettle though, some players crumble under the pressure, others thrive off it.

How cool would it be though if one of our players was starring in a tournament?!

the qualifiers include Ecuador and Iran... might be worth having a look for someone who could do a job in either of those sides?