Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

Expectations for the weekend?

We have all had some good thinking time since the black day at The Etihad with a much welcome win and now what seems like a long break due to the Internationals. So, what are your expectations for the Newcastle United game?

I personally would be very happy with a hard earned point from what I see as an improving Newcastle, but that said, they are definately a side who have bad days and are beatable. Should we lose, then providing we performed well and are not on the end of a tonking, then whilst I would not be happy, I certainly would be realistic enough in respect of who we had lost to and look forward to the three points the following week. 

I am also expecting anything other than a win, regardless of performance to trigger the usual anti Hoooghton tirade, hope not as this is time for some calm, but think it is inevitable.......

I would be grateful and delighted with a point, to keep a run going. I think that it will be a struggle, however. The Toon have achieved one or two really good results recently, while we struggled to beat the Palace until we were gifted a goal.

To put it another way. Their confidence is high, ours is very thin, and I fear that a single mistake by someone in defence could shatter us again.

Come on our team, come on the strikers, it''s time!

I expect to drive back from Newcastle on Saturday evening listening to the phone-ins after a defeat. Every Norwich fan will be the more farm accented type who didn''t go saying Hootun'' should definitely get the sack. I''ll end up getting annoyed and turning on BBC Radio 1, then getting more annoyed by Westwood before turning the radio off and driving home in miffed silence for 4 hours.

3-0. Loic Remy showing his class. Cabaye and Tiote bossing the midfield.

Think there are pro''s and con''s to the international break. Think having gone into it on a win has massively reduced the pressure on Hughton> Just look how quite this message board has been, and all the Hughton out stuff has stopped temporarily. Think that is good for Chris Hughton, as had we lost against West Ham this lull would have been filled with Hughton-hate and he''d have had no opportunity to stem the flow due to the lack of a game. So think the break has been good for him in the short term, but I wonder if we''ve lost momentum? Sure Colney must have been a happier place since last Saturday, but wouldnt it have been nice to try to follow-up West Ham with another good result in quick succession. Think its given the players and the staff a bit of a break from the pressure, but wonder if the momentum has gone? Think we should be delighted with a point against Newcastle. Question is, how will people react to a defeat? Play badly and its all doom and gloom. Play well, its further evidence that we cant win games even when playing well. Think a defeat would bring it all back. Palace at home is the big game. Fail to win that and I think Hughtons position would become untenable with the fans - a victory in that game seems to be the minimum level of competence expected by most fans

[quote user="Salopian"]

while we struggled to beat the Palace until we were gifted a goal.

[/quote]

proof at last we have time travellers in our midst, do you mind sharing a few more future results Salopian ?

My expectation for Saturday is that I''ll be hacked off because I can''t get to the game. 

If we win, I will be very glad but still annoyed at missing the game because I''ve had 2 visits there now, both of which we lost.  If we draw, I''ll be fairly happy that we''ve avoided defeat and it will make it not so bad that I couldn''t go.  If we lose I''ll be depressed as usual, but at least I will have avoided the trek up to the north east.

Does anyone know how many of Newcastle''s french legion will be involved in their play off against Ukraine tonight? A couple of knocks/injuries to say Remy and Cabaye, extra-time and a demoralising, energy sapping exit to Ukraine will defo be a good thing for us come 3 o clock on saturday.. I think we''ll get a point - Newcastle usually do well against the top 6, its the games against lesser lights such as ourselves that they often struggle in

Some positive football with a few chances created and a point on the road would do just nicely.

Then we can stuff Palace at home and put to bed all this bogey team talk.

Of course i''d love an away win, but i''d be happy with 1 pt and a good performance, to keep us tickin over till we beat palace. then we''d have my hoped for 7 from 9, and everyone can get on with supporting the Club...not just the team.

My predictions are......a thumping great defeat and Wiz all over this messageboard like measles or a decent display picking up at least a point and about 3 threads from LDC telling us how we should be viewing things. [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]My predictions are......a thumping great defeat and Wiz all over this messageboard like measles or a decent display picking up at least a point and about 3 threads from LDC telling us how we should be viewing things. [;)][/quote]

How about we save time and I''ll just do it now.   We should imo be viewing things dependent on the performance, not the result.  Any kind of result for us, whether a draw or win, would be great.   However, after our last two abject away performances and on top of a lot of dismal away performances going back into last season, I think we need a good performance to give supporters a boost.   We all want to see some signs of ongoing development and the last two performances away pushed the patience of even the most ardent Hughton supporter. 

So although  the  HO''s will still complain with even a spirited defeat, the rest of us can take any positives there may be from a spirited display.   A dour 0-0 would be acceptable as it means a point, but for me, I want to start seeing us score more goals whether away or home, so a good performance would be the main thing - and be happy with whatever results from that.

we will do what we have done since hughton took overplay for the drawprobably lose 1-0 or draw 0-0 whilst putting everyone to sleep

I am not necessarily expecting a result from the weekend. A win would be a delightful surprise, a draw would be a positive platform for the win i expect (without any concession) of us the following weekend, and a loss (under certain conditions) i''d find excusable.What isn''t excusable, and what i most definitely expect of the side, is that they perform well. If the side were to fail in this department, and simultaneously gather a negative result, i''d of lost faith in Hughtons impact on the side. Hughton has been afforded as much the quantity as the variety of poor performances for this portion of the season already - in my view, there''s little, if any room, to add to these before January if Hughton can expect to keep his job for the time being. If he fails to maintain the positive attitude brought about by our breakthrough against West Ham after that first (and in truth, rather fortuitous) goal, it''ll prove this upturn to be no more than an ephemeron with little owing to Hughton but luck.

Snodgrass is back. The players have found their mojo. They should be approaching this game expecting at very least a point.

They need to attack from the opening whistle like at Stoke, and now they''ve regained their scoring touch, look to score at least a couple and concede less.

[quote user="iron_stan"]we will do what we have done since hughton took over

play for the draw

probably lose 1-0 or draw 0-0 whilst putting everyone to sleep
[/quote]

You haven''t been to many games this season, have you ?

It''s not so much about the result, though a point or better would be fantastic, but the set up, the player effort and commitment to ensure we don''t get tonked again!

I won''t be too disapointed with a close defeat but anythin bigger than a couple goals and I would be a dissapointed.

I just want to see the secondhalf reaction taken into this game!

We will see on on Saturday, but I think we might get away with a 1-1 draw which would make me a happy little bunny.

Remember these are a good side, they can hurt you as they have good players who can knock it about a bit. They have had a couple of good results, so we need to be vigilant, and they are a premiership side who we need to take seriously and do the basics right.

Sorry that was a preview of the CH pre match briefing. Seriously though I hope for evidence of this much vaunted more expansive style, I too am less concerned about the result but the performance. I''d like us to not concede 60% possession, sit deep and come away with 1 shot on target, but to go out and harry them, get some men forward from the midfield and stick in some decent balls for whoever is up front.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]No, it will be 2-2!!![/quote]SaturdayA Few pintsNice Italian1-0 LossNice CurryMore PintsFroch-GrovesSundayStinking Hangover, Empty Wallet

Trouble is, Mark, questions of this type are becoming increasingly difficult to reply to with any sort of conviction.

Basicaly, it all depends on which Norwich City turn up at Sid James'' at 3 pm today. If it''s the NCFC of the first half v West Ham and the vast majority of the away fixtures this year, I cannot see anything less than another good thumping with Remy filling his boots and Krul having the afternoon off.

On the other hand ,if it''s the NCFC of the West Ham second half and the Britannia Stadium, then we''re perfectly capable of getting at least a point.

Answers on a postcard......

If we lose it will be because of Hughton.

If we win it will be in spite of Hughton.

If we draw it will be because of Hughtons boring tactics.

Same as it ever was........