Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Reminds me of 2004-05

Getting hammered away from home and struggling to get anything at home, we felt like we were beaten before we kicked off until the little revival in March. Then we nearly got out of it until the Fulham collapse.

Too many signals from the team that they are in a similar mess. Losing Malky and Iwan then is the same as losing Holty this time so we have no leaders who can actually do it on the pitch. Russell Martin tries, but isn''t up to it. Ruddy and Bassong, two of our solid 8 out of 10 players every week, are turning in 5''s and 6''s. Bradley Johnson is just a shadow of what he was.

Couple of bright spots in Howson and Fer, but all the heads are down.

Mr McNally - I think it''s time for a change.

Glen Hoddle for me. Good, attacking coach who can also set up a defence. Plus he would attract some quality players.

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 2013-11-23 8:02 PM:

sgncfc wrote:

Glen Hoddle for me.

Alleluia to that!

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="sgncfc"]

Glen Hoddle for me.

[/quote]jesus Christ!!!![/quote] i can''t see Jesus wanting the job[/quote]
Apparently he performed the odd miracle or too though. Gets my vote [;)]

If Jas the barclay thinks it''s a bad idea then it''s probably a good one.

Absolutely nothing like 2004/5.We couldn''t buy a win at this stage of the season and were already well on the way to being cut adrift without a single team looking poorer than us.At the moment there are at least half a dozen teams that are no better and at least 3 who look worse.

But the attitude to away matches is the same Ricardo and it does put tremendous pressure on your home fixtures. I remember a point at St Andrews in that 2004/5 season being celebrated like we had won the European Cup. Our mind-set really has to change because the way things are going I could see us failing to win away all season like we did in 2004/5. Ultimately that cost us dearly that season amongst a multitude of other things. Turning just one or two of those games into victories would have saved us.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]

But the attitude to away matches is the same Ricardo and it does put tremendous pressure on your home fixtures. I remember a point at St Andrews in that 2004/5 season being celebrated like we had won the European Cup. Our mind-set really has to change because the way things are going I could see us failing to win away all season like we did in 2004/5. Ultimately that cost us dearly that season amongst a multitude of other things. Turning just one or two of those games into victories would have saved us.

[/quote]Except for the fact that we already have won away from home.Stoke 0 Norwich 1 The only game where we haven''t conceded the first goal away from home.

[quote user="ricardo"]Absolutely nothing like 2004/5.We couldn''t buy a win at this stage of the season and were already well on the way to being cut adrift without a single team looking poorer than us.At the moment there are at least half a dozen teams that are no better and at least 3 who look worse.[/quote]I dont think we''re better than 3 other teams! Our form has been terrible.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="ricardo"]Absolutely nothing like 2004/5.We couldn''t buy a win at this stage of the season and were already well on the way to being cut adrift without a single team looking poorer than us.At the moment there are at least half a dozen teams that are no better and at least 3 who look worse.[/quote]I dont think we''re better than 3 other teams! Our form has been terrible.

[/quote]look at the table and the fact that our next run of games looks far less difficult.There''s a table somewhere that takes into account the strength of the opposition but I forget where to find it.According to that our opening dozen games was one of the hardest.At Christmas time it will be a little more obvious.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]

Apart from a speculative shot from young master Redmond v Southampton we didnt look like scoring.Didnt deserve to beat West Ham- that first half was one of the worst I''ve seen this year and I went to Hull/Spurs/Arsenal away.I didnt go Cardiff at home so cant comment.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]
Do you think playing a 19 game season is enough to attain survival then?

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]
[/quote]Way to misrepresent me!I quoted the OP because I don''t think we do "struggle to get anything at home".  I didn''t say we set out to not try in our away games, which is what a 19 game season (rather childishly) implies.I agree that we are disappointingly poor away from home, but I don''t think our strategy is to go out and lose.  Our display at Stoke showed that much.  Thankfully after Liverpool we have some easier away games and I think we''ll pick up a few points on our travels.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]

Apart from a speculative shot from young master Redmond v Southampton we didnt look like scoring.Didnt deserve to beat West Ham- that first half was one of the worst I''ve seen this year and I went to Hull/Spurs/Arsenal away.I didnt go Cardiff at home so cant comment.

[/quote]Swings and roundabouts mate, didn''t deserve to lose to Chelsea or Villa and unlucky not to beat Cardiff out of sight.Not playing well and still winning is a very good sign. Far better than playing well and losing. At the end of the season it''s points that keep you up, not a report on how well you played in defeat.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]
[/quote]If you averaged 2 points a game from them it would more likely than not be quite enough.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]

[/quote]Well, and I hate to break this to you, life isn''t fair.If you want an alternative league table where we took 1 point from Southampton and West Ham rather than 6 points, then feel free to create one.  Just don''t crayon it on the bedroom wall as Mummy and Daddy will be cross with you.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]
[/quote]Way to misrepresent me!I quoted the OP because I don''t think we do "struggle to get anything at home".  I didn''t say we set out to not try in our away games, which is what a 19 game season (rather childishly) implies.I agree that we are disappointingly poor away from home, but I don''t think our strategy is to go out and lose.  Our display at Stoke showed that much.  Thankfully after Liverpool we have some easier away games and I think we''ll pick up a few points on our travels.[/quote]
Apologies. I didn''t mean to make it seem like i was putting words in your mouth. Just I''ve always hated the home and away debate. I feel like some use our home form as a reason to ignore the away games and their results. I think we were unlucky in most games except Spurs, Hull and the Manchester games. That said, it wasn''t because we performed well, just the opposite and that we let the opposition play and come at us.
Cardiff could have been a loss as much as a win. Villa could have been a draw, and a loss for Everton. But equally so could the Southampton game been a draw.
There is not one game this season I feel besides Stoke that I thought we were comfortable. So I think the whole focusing on the home form is a bad approach. All those games win lose or draw were decided on a knife edge, and more often than not, watching the other team dictate the play and hoping we hold on.

Doesn''t remind me of that season, we look capable of taking on most at home. However no Escaping the away form is nothing short of shocking, at a guess were likely to need 15ish points away from home to stay up currently I can''t see where they are going to come from.

All this "I would rather play badly & win rather than play well & lose" stuff is a logical absurdity.

You can do nothing better than play well. Nothing. What you cannot do is change the other factors influencing the game.

Like it or not, luck (referees, injuries, balls ricocheting into the net) plays a huge role in football. That''s one of the things making it such an absorbing & infuriating game.

All I ask is that the team, & manager, do their best. Please God our luck averages out over the season. Of this there is unfortunately no guarantee.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]

[/quote]Well, and I hate to break this to you, life isn''t fair.If you want an alternative league table where we took 1 point from Southampton and West Ham rather than 6 points, then feel free to create one.  Just don''t crayon it on the bedroom wall as Mummy and Daddy will be cross with you.

[/quote]Yep. Start throwing the insults just because someone dares to disagree with you.[:D]

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]

[/quote]Yep. Start throwing the insults just because someone dares to disagree with you.[:D][/quote]Oh God, now I don''t know if I''m trying to have a sarcastic battle with someone who''s already outsarcasmed me without my noticing.Damn you to hell!

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote]
[/quote]Way to misrepresent me!I quoted the OP because I don''t think we do "struggle to get anything at home".  I didn''t say we set out to not try in our away games, which is what a 19 game season (rather childishly) implies.I agree that we are disappointingly poor away from home, but I don''t think our strategy is to go out and lose.  Our display at Stoke showed that much.  Thankfully after Liverpool we have some easier away games and I think we''ll pick up a few points on our travels.[/quote]
Apologies. I didn''t mean to make it seem like i was putting words in your mouth. Just I''ve always hated the home and away debate. I feel like some use our home form as a reason to ignore the away games and their results. I think we were unlucky in most games except Spurs, Hull and the Manchester games. That said, it wasn''t because we performed well, just the opposite and that we let the opposition play and come at us.
Cardiff could have been a loss as much as a win. Villa could have been a draw, and a loss for Everton. But equally so could the Southampton game been a draw.
There is not one game this season I feel besides Stoke that I thought we were comfortable. So I think the whole focusing on the home form is a bad approach. All those games win lose or draw were decided on a knife edge, and more often than not, watching the other team dictate the play and hoping we hold on.
[/quote]Yeah, that''s fair enough and closer to where I''m coming from.  I don''t think we ever looked like losing against Southampton, but we didn''t look much like we were going to easily win either.  West Ham and Cardiff and Everton were battling performances but we weren''t exactly "comfortable" in any of them.  So we are some way short of our potential, and it would be nice to see us win comfortably in the PL for once, but I think we have better times ahead once we get Liverpool (A) out of the way.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Are we "struggling to get anything at home" when we beat Southampton and West Ham and drew with Everton and Cardiff?[/quote] I would say we were struggling yes - a very fortunate point against Everton; a win against West Ham who completely outplayed us for 65 minutes and a draw against Cardiff was a poor result. You also forgot to mention the defeat against a very poor Villa team.

How was our point against Everton fortunate? We beat West ham, in the end we beat them well, you''re going to have to live with it. We didn''t score against Cardiff so I have to live with it. Trying to add or subtract points we''ve won serves no purpose whatsoever.