Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Hughton lost us that today - the negative setup is sufforcating us

Time to go i''m afraid, our players showed today in the last 20 minutes that they can play.

4-5-1 with Johnson in the team was absolute suicide. Elmander and Hooper had to start.

Time to get a manager in who has a bit of spontineity and a bit of excitement, we have a few players who with the right guidance can provide that, Hughton clearly isn''t the man.

There is no way back for him now.  Too many fundamental problems to recover from.

sorry but I can''t go along with that. If we could ever get to half time without being behind we might have a chance.

I think it was terrible defending which lost us the game, but that is an altogether different conversation...

... because we hear that he has "improved us defensively", and we get Adrian Forbes telling us that they all work on defending every week in training, and he is a former defender. We failed to bring in a centre back this summer, and in my opinion our best right back doesn''t get picked.

Our defending has been Championship standard in recent weeks. We can''t even fall back on "at least he has improved our defence" argument, because well.... we are getting ripped to shreds most weeks.

"Purely out of interest who managed the team today during the last twenty minutes?"

The same man who got it wrong for the first 70 minutes.

Players like to play with a bit of freedom. To be trusted to be able to show what they can do.

Hughton''s methods and approach are very restrictive.

[quote user="The Sensational Zak Cartman"]Purely out of interest who managed the team today during the last twenty minutes?[/quote]

Hughton, but the problem was, it was too late, Newcastle were home and dry. If we stopped giving the opposition so much respect and actually spent the first half getting under their skin instead of conceding sloppy goals due to being camped in our own half, then we might actually pick some points up on the road. Teams must love playing us at home, we turn up waving the white flag.

[quote user="ricardo"]sorry but I can''t go along with that. If we could ever get to half time without being behind we might have a chance.
[/quote]

How many more first half performances should he have before you see the light

Not going to happen i''m afraid, i really think he has the boards backing and that he will take us down.

My point is Ricardo, that his negative tactics are the reason we concede so early, the pressure on the defence is overwhelming and inevitably, mistakes are made.

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="ricardo"]sorry but I can''t go along with that. If we could ever get to half time without being behind we might have a chance.[/quote]

How many more first half performances should he have before you see the light

[/quote]If you can''t get to halftime away from home without being behind then there is very likely to be no light at all.

We can''t play Hooper on his own up front, did he even touch the ball today? The second I looked at that line up I was feeling uneasy.We have got to stop being so afraid of the opposition, our one away win against Stoke we harried and hassled them all over the pitch and they didn''t cause us one problem. After that game I though Hughton had cracked it. But ever since we drop off give the opposition all the time they need.The very latest those subs should have been made was the second after Fer scored, but we all know they should have been made at halftime, or at least ten/15 minutes in to the second half.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]My point is Ricardo, that his negative tactics are the reason we concede so early, the pressure on the defence is overwhelming and inevitably, mistakes are made.[/quote]I didn''t realise that giving away a needless corner was part of the tactics Jimmy. I thought Martin was very poor for both goals and has not been his old self this season.

We play better with Whittaker in the team but keep playing Martin. You don''t play your best players you''re not going anywhere. Same with Bassong/Bennett.

The first goal was a defensive nightmare and the second not much better. That has nothing to do with the way the team is set up.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"Purely out of interest who managed the team today during the last twenty minutes?"

The same man who got it wrong for the first 70 minutes.[/quote]
Tek a boo son! [;)]

Can''t agree im afraid.

I thought we played well today, yes two blunders allowed the goals but they are individual errors.

I thought our shape was good and we bounced back well from the early setback and had a go.

We seemed to move the ball a bit quicker for me today as well.

Thought we deserved a point.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The first goal was a defensive nightmare and the second not much better. That has nothing to do with the way the team is set up.

[/quote]People continue to parrot this "set up" nonsense without really understanding what they are talking about. We have not got to halftime without being behind in any away game this season except Stoke, and that''s the only game we got points from.

Sack Ruddy and keep Hughton then RTB?

Poor defending, slow build up and no real creativity. (Until it was too late).

Great performance!

[quote user="clarkey1972"]Can''t agree im afraid.

I thought we played well today, yes two blunders allowed the goals but they are individual errors.

I thought our shape was good and we bounced back well from the early setback and had a go.

We seemed to move the ball a bit quicker for me today as well.

Thought we deserved a point.[/quote]
If you were watching the same game, I think you might be in a very small minority of one that saw the game like that today.
We were terrible, and looked entirely toothless. The only reason we "had a go" was Newcastle took their foot off the gas second half. Even then, our version of "having a go" consisted of creating pretty much nothing in terms of chances, and just watching Newcastle clear it comfortably every time we got within 30 yards.
We really zipped it around along our back line but as soon as we got near the centre circle it was more of the same plodding away doing nothing with the ball.
I don''t think we deserved a point or anything close to it. We got exactly what we deserved and the scoreline flattered us if anything.