Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Youngsters or square pegs in round holes ???

Everyone on here must admire Southamptons academy and the way they churn out quality player after player but part of that is down to the manager having the balls to blood these youngsters at tender ages of 17 or 18, so to my point.

Is now the time to try Josh Murphy and Cameron McGeehan in place of the injured Pilks and the woeful Johnson.

Should we persist with a dreadful Johnson and if Snodgrass isnt fit play someone out of position on the wing??

Surely with the home crowd behind these two lads, and lets be honest they would get tremendous backing, is it not worth a try to see if these youth cup winning gems can fill these holes, proving money spent on our academy is money well spent ??

Personally id be delighted to see both start, no i dont think they are too young, and worse than Johnson, is that possible??

Money will always be well spent on our Academy regardless on whether a player makes the first team or not.

There are some academies who are purely setup for the development then sale of players.

On the subject of Murphy and McGeehan both would have to be ''ready'' to play, Murphy is being bought into the team gradually and I actually think given our injury problems may even get a start next week.

McGeehan hasn''t even made the bench yet (has he?) and I think strength would be an issue, whilst Johnson has appeared to have been dreadful if you stuck McGeehan in there in his place he would get bullied.

It''s easy to get carried away with our youngsters after their triumphs last year but the most important thing is developing players mentally and physically...something Norwich City are getting right.

The time was League Cup games. Hopefully they''ll get some first team experience in the FA 3rd round. Regular season might be too risky unless we''re either well safe or firmly entrenched in the bottom 3.

Of course, seeing how they compete in practice might change my mind. If they look comfortable running with the bulls, it''s worth a shot. If nothing else, it might be the kick in the butt those being dropped from the squad need to improve.

He must be 18 or 19 now and fairly well developed, do you think he would get bullied or relish the chance?

Maybe Palace at home would be an ideal opportunity as opposed to Liverpool away

I think that the job you are asking him to do would mean he would almost definitely get bullied...

McGeehan would need to go out on loan to a lower league club before even being considered for a starting place in our squad, surely?

I could be wrong but i know loaning out is quite a common practice, however im pretty sure that Southampton havent been loaning theirs out but usually blooding them at home.

Would you rather see us persist in using Johnson in Tetteys absence or switch to 4-4-2?

I think if we''re using Southampton as an example you have to look at Luke Shaw who is an exceptional talent...and James Ward-Prowse who is equally as good.

One is a full back and one is a right midfielder, I think in this case you can ''blood them at home'' because ok they might struggle physically but they will not cause any real damage but I don''t think you can ask someone to do the job of a battling midfielder as they would get bullied.

I challenge you to find someone of Cameron McGeehan''s ability and age (18 by the way) who has been asked to play as a defensive midfielder in a Premiership side.

I think we probably saw the solution yesterday, I would play Fer and Howson just behind Hoolahan. Yes Hoolahan has been lacking this season but surely deserves another chance and if not, Elmander should surely get the nod. When is RVW back?

I see your point, wasnt Henderson 17 or 18 when Sunderland played him before his big money move to Liverpool, also Morrison at West Ham only 19 i think ( could be wrong, tin hat on )

And the Hoolahan option against Palace is indeed a fair point tho not a long term solution.

I think it highlights the need for 3 quality additions in January, a quality centre half, a battling midfielder ( who can pass) and a winger who can cross ( and stay fit )

Yeah can''t disagree with any of that and Hoolahan is definitely not the answer long term.

RE: Henderson - admittedly I had to search this but he went on loan to Coventry after playing in a 5-0 drubbing at Chelsea then one game in the Cup.

Morrison is an attacking player not a defensive player and also spent time on loan at Birmingham City last season.

Ha ha u got me there, cant beat a bit of google research, its nice to have a reasoned debate with someone sensible than some of the name calling that goes on if an opinion differs on here.

Out of interest would you risk McGeehan for the first 45 minutes if Johnson and Hoolahan were on the bench?

And would people respect Hughton a bit more for risking a youngster and showing he isnt quite so predictable ?

Completely agree, this site is relatively tame compared to some of the fourms on Facebook at the moment for NCFC!

RE: McGeehan, first 45 minutes, Definitely not - I think that would be a sure fire way to dent the lads confidence.

The best thing for McGeehan would be to get some first team experience in League One or the Championship.

I think the respect for Hughton would come from his results itself rather than how he achieves the results. If he perceives McGeehan and Murphy to be ready then they will be in the squad.

All fair points, ive no idea what the answers are, i dont rate Hughton but then again who is available, its not much fun being a Norwich fan at the moment i know that !!!

I don''t proclaim to know the answers either, I''m not sure anyone knows to be honest other than those at the football club itself.

Discussed on another thread, if we do remove Hughton then I believe we need a complete change of direction and mentality, someone along the lines of Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche.

I think should Jol get the sack as I think he will then he should also be considered.

Mmm have always liked Jol but he seems to have a talented team at Fulham but not clicking for some reason.

Id be tempted to go down the Swansea/Southampton route personally

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]its not much fun being a Norwich fan at the moment i know that !!![/quote]Seriously?  If you can''t get enjoyment out of watching your side playing and holding their own against some of the best teams and players in the world, then perhaps football isn''t for you. We would all like us to win more games but did anyone REALLY believe we would have done better then we have done when we were promoted?

Firstly football is the only sport and i dont need some stranger telling me whether its for me or not.

Ive followed Norwich home and away since the seventies and know all about good times and bad, its all about the money now, Ive always had the philosophy that if we have tried and given it a good go i can stomach a defeat.

Do you think that some of the dire performances can warrant a " we gave it a go" under Hughton?

We got promoted with Swansea (automatically) and Southampton a year after us, was it unreasonable to expect a similar progress or effort as two smaller clubs than us??

Can you do a reasoned response Lappinitup or will it be more insults ??

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Can you do a reasoned response Lappinitup or will it be more insults ??[/quote]I certainly didn''t intend to insult you Tim as I''m well aware of your support over the years. I was just a bit surprised you weren''t enjoying your football at the moment. Of course we all get disappointed with poor performances and when results don''t go our way but just to compare the situation now with past era''s, I would have thought Grant, Roeder and Gunn''s teams would have been a much less enjoyable experience. And going right back, some of the stuff served up by Willie Reid and Lol Morgan for example was awful. When you compare where we are and where we''ve come from, what is there not to like. Of course, we''d all like to see more attacking football, more wins and a higher league placing but it''s always going to be about scrapping for points in this division. And for that reason, I still find the football absorbing, intriguing....and enjoyable.

Wow - an intelligent thread containing debate and opinion without the ''Hughton ( with 14 spelling variations) in/out'' stuff

I agree with ref - McGeehan can''t be asked to pay that physically demanding role in the prem yet - actually I was wondering last week when some of our U21s were going to be loaned out - they need some experience of ''professionalism'' and that is a tough league - and surely would be better for their development than yesterday''s win at Fakenham for the U21s?

I still enjoy my football at CR but I haven''t been away since Wigan last year. I think games at home are generally entertaining football matches, it''s the away setup that grates with me a bit.

Apologies Lappinitup, ive been grounded by flu this weekend and had to miss the game ( saw dodgy link), so im a bit of a grumpybum, 46 years old and a defeat still ruins my weekend !!

You are right in a lot of respects, perhaps one of the better squads we have ever had, yet they dont appear to play like a team, now im not sure if its Hughtons tactics but im not enjoying away games at all, he sets us up not to lose but with no plan B.

Id love to see a couple of youngsters come thru, something ive loved to see over the years, Gordon, Fox, Donowa,Sutton,Bellamy to name just a few, maybe just maybe now is the time ....