Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Stick or twist

As was obvious after the West Ham game, people aren''t enjoying their football. There were faces like slapped arses because we won.

This is the biggest problem the board have. They didn''t learn when Worthy lost the fans and it turned even more nasty. I believe Munby acknowledged this mistake and referred to it when sacking Roeder.

Hughton will never be popular here. If het gets a good result people will move heaven and earth to put the credit elsewhere. From the boards point of view he''s been quite succesful. And has continued to pick up points this season despite a horrendous injury list.

I doubt we''d get relegated this season if we keep him and I''ve seen many Hughton outers agree with that. Yet they are willing to risk it to have a new manager in. Perhaps in the forlorn hope that man will be another Paul Lambert when the odds are stacked heavily against that being the case.

So with many fans, both happy clappers and gutless whingers believing Hughton will keep us up this year should the board stick or twist? Probable safety versus the unknown.....

But of course Mcnally could view finishing 11th last season as success because that was a fact. He could also believe that being out of the bottom three with our injury list is a success.

has to be twist.....style of football is rubbish....cant play defensive with the players in this team.....Would love to see Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as the next manager....pls pls pls

[quote user="nutty nigel"]As was obvious after the West Ham game, people aren''t enjoying their football. There were faces like slapped arses because we won. .[/quote]

Maybe because despite the fact we won (and I''m personally delighted we did) the first half was incredibly poor and prehaps some people think the win papered over the cracks so to speak? The cracks being a dreadfully poor first half and the run of form previously.

Indulge me, Nutty, as I attempt an analogy of how I look at things in order to answer your question.

When I look at my assets, whether it is property that I own or my investment portfolio, I do my very best to nurture my investments so that they remain consistent with my overall objectives of what I hope to achieve over the short and longer term. Within that approach, I realize that there are things I can control and others that I cannot. I cannot determine the up and down timing of the real estate or stock markets. What I can control is ensuring that what I have invested in are still fundamentally sound even if market tides go against the preferred direction. I can ensure my properties are well maintained rather than run down. I also realize that, as I make my choices over time, some ( hopefully not many ) will turn out to be poor choices. When it becomes apparent I have made a poor choice I hope that I am smart enough to be willing to cut my losses rather than stubbornly holding on to an investment in the ( forlorn ) hope that I may recover my investment before getting out.

Now, with respect to your question, I don''t feel I ( or most other posters for that matter ) have enough information to decide whether we should stick or twist with Chris Hughton and his team. I would need to be a NCFC board member to even venture an educated vote on that. What I would know hopefully, if I were a board member, is what my short versus longer term objectives are with respect to the assets we have invested in and whether those assets are fundamentally sound when it comes to the management/coaching staff as well as the squad of players on board. If there were weaknesses on any front because of what the level of performance is versus expectation, then hopefully I would have already had sufficient time to make certain judgments as to where we are sound versus weak. This would include allowances for temporary setbacks ( injuries ), as well as any previously determined further investment to ensure we enhance existing player investments. What I would not want to do is to stubbornly hold on to an investment that I now viewed as weak, thereby jeopardizing the return of my other investments, either by performance on the pitch or resale value should that opportunity arise.

While I have concerns at some of what is on display on the pitch I have faith that the board is assessing all the information at hand and will act in a manner of nurturing their investments consistent with the overall objectives of what the club is seeking to achieve in both the short and longer term. That is what is important for the club. Anything else posted on here as to "stick or twist" is for fun only.      

I wish I had your faith Nigel that we won''t get relegated. I cannot see where the points will come from. If we get 10 points away it will be an absolute miracle. But I suppose I will be told again that other sides are worse than us..can''t see it myself.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]I wish I had your faith Nigel that we won''t get relegated. I cannot see where the points will come from. If we get 10 points away it will be an absolute miracle. But I suppose I will be told again that other sides are worse than us..can''t see it myself.[/quote]Look at the table, there''s four there for a start and we still haven''t played three of them. Oh, and the other one we beat 3-1.

twist

I think we will be relegated if we keep him, of course we may still be relegated if we change him, but we might see some entertainment at carrow rd, and more importantly away from home,I am bored ( for the most part)with what we have seen since he has been here

Re: Stick or twistthe Hughton lovers insisted he would make us stronger in deffence.

Well not only is tht not the case. We are playing terrible football, have two multi million pound strikers who couldnt hit a barn door with a bandjo, yet STILL he has the odd few backing him !!

Why ? What has he done to the team to warrent any kind of support ? He has turned us into a joke, we cant score, and sure as shit cant deffend !!

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Is a deffend anything like a bellend ?[/quote]

One that can''t hear I think. Maybe one posts on here....

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]I wish I had your faith Nigel that we won''t get relegated. I cannot see where the points will come from. If we get 10 points away it will be an absolute miracle. But I suppose I will be told again that other sides are worse than us..can''t see it myself.[/quote]

Well, like I said some people who want Hughton replaced have openly said they don''t believe we''ll get relegated if we keep him. You do think he''d relegate us so for you the gamble is different but still a gamble. You and I have seen a lot jumping on and off the managerial merry-go-round over the last 20 years. History has taught me that we have about a 1 in10 chance of getting one as good as Lambert and a 1 in 5 chance of getting one as good as Worthy or Hughton. So your gamble is probably a little more than 5/1 where as the ones who don''t think Hughton will relegate us are looking for a 10/1 shot.

I mentioned Roeder earlier and there are many who feel had we kept Roeder we would not have been relegated leaving the way clear to appoint a proper manager in the summer. I don''t know about that but I would think he''d have stood more chance than Gunn. Regardless the gamble was lost and we were relegated. Norwich sacking the manager hoping for better kind of reminds me of someone who runs into a wall and gets hurt. After a while they forget it hurts and a few years later and run into it again only to find it hurts again.

I''m still at a point where I think the safest gamble is keeping Hughton. But as Yankee pointed out much better than me the board are in the position to know.