Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Subs

Dreadful decisions again by Hughton. At 2-0 down we had 2 subs available but he makes no changes.At 2-1 down after 80 minutes he still makes no changes but then brings on 2 subs in the 89th minute - why wait 9 minutes FFS.Can''t fathom the man out at all - there''s just no logic in his substitutions

not sure why he didn’t act earlier, shouldn’t have taken redmond off..Perhaps taking a full back off (I think Olsson because Russ is better in the air) and replacing him with either becchio or Muphy and going 3-4-3 might have worked?Newcastle would have had to drop a midfielder back to counter and lost some of a goal threat?all speculation now.

Do you believe that he made the right decisions Nutty?

Did Elmander (a forced sub) directly affect us scoring, or would it have happened anyway?

Was it right to wait until 89 minutes to bring on two creative players?

Charlie Nicholas, stated when Shelvey came on for Swansea today that Great Managers are able to know when to change it to create a positive affect and twist a game in their favour.

Do you think Hughton does this?

Snake

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But surely his decisions when we were 2-0 down saw us get back into the game?

[/quote]
What decisions? We have good players with a strong team bond who won''t give up, that''s what got us back into the game.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]But surely his decisions when we were 2-0 down saw us get back into the game? [/quote]So if he thought it was right to keep with the same players between 80 & 88 minutes when we were at 2-1, what changed in the 89th minute to convince him that Hoolahan & Murphy we''re a better option than the 11 already on the pitch.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Do you believe that he made the right decisions Nutty?

Did Elmander (a forced sub) directly affect us scoring, or would it have happened anyway?

Was it right to wait until 89 minutes to bring on two creative players?

Charlie Nicholas, stated when Shelvey came on for Swansea today that Great Managers are able to know when to change it to create a positive affect and twist a game in their favour.

Do you think Hughton does this?

Snake

[/quote]

I was replying to the opening post Snake. There can be no doubt that at 2-0 we got back into the game. You can choose to say this was in spite of Hughton. You can add flip-flops or player''s rebellions if you want but we got back into the game and Hughton was the manager. I said nothing about the substitutions in the last few minutes. I have no idea of the circumatances under which they were made. What i do know is that poor defensive lapses cost us today. It was going to be tough enough without giving them a goal start. If ever5y decision Hughton makes is wrong then I think you have to ask serious questions of the people keeping him at the club. But then again I don''t think everything he does is wrong.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="nutty nigel"]But surely his decisions when we were 2-0 down saw us get back into the game? [/quote]
So if he thought it was right to keep with the same players between 80 & 88 minutes when we were at 2-1, what changed in the 89th minute to convince him that Hoolahan & Murphy we''re a better option than the 11 already on the pitch.

[/quote]

No. That isn''t what I said. I said the decisions he made, and leaving it is a decision BTW, got us back into the game. You''d obviously have changed it earlier. But then can you say with any certainty those changes would have got us back into the game?

You can''t turn everything Hughton does into a negative. It''s getting like it was with Worthy where people were coming on here saying Rossi Jarvis should be starting ahead of Etuhu...

What got us back in the game was Pardew''s decision to have his side sit on a two goal lead and invite us on hoping to hit us on the break. The opposition manager always seems to set the tone in games.

In fairness to Cautious Chris, his game plan wouldn''t have included gifting an early goal. But once that pre-plan goes Chris never seems to be able to adapt.

The beach

Players Rebellions

Other managers

It seems to me we could survive in this league just taking ther points we are given..

Whatever the rights or wrongs of  using/not using subs up until the 80 minute mark, the fact is that once we scored, and Newcastle began to wobble, he should have used every option at his disposal to try & get an equalizer - he didn''t until it was too late. Managers have to at least try & make things happen rather than just standing there hoping that something will happen.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Dreadful decisions again by Hughton.
At 2-0 down we had 2 subs available but he makes no changes.
At 2-1 down after 80 minutes he still makes no changes but then brings on 2 subs in the 89th minute - why wait 9 minutes FFS.
Can''t fathom the man out at all - there''s just no logic in his substitutions

[/quote]

My point is that he did make a decision. He decided to keep what he had because we were getting back into the game. This decision was vindicated. You call it a non decision because you are turning every thing that happens into some anti Hughton crusade. If he was wrong not to change it when we were 2-0 down. Why was he wrong? What changes would you have made? And how would we have got back into the game with your substitutions?

the thing that makes me laugh is the stubborn fool has been doing the same thing since day 1theres definitely a serious lack of imagination, i imagine he probably isnt the most inspiring individual