Sign in to follow this  
Nicko

Does Redmond need shooting practice?

My thoughts are that I''m sick of him cutting inside and ballooning chances over the bar or slicing them out for a throw-in.

Why pick on him - he has at least scored this season? I agree that he needs to concentrate and use better technique, rather than blazing away. The same could be said of other forwards - on Saturday Hooper sliced a good opportunity wide, and Fer miss at least one good chance before scoring. We had 10 shots directed towards the goal, or vaguely in that direction, and only two were actually on target. We are used to Johnson blazing the ball hard almost anywhere, but others should do better.

This can''t be blamed solely on the manager, as the strikers are all well-paid players, with good reputations. Why does technique desert them. Is it panic, here''s a good chance, so lash out before you''re tackled. Are they trying to hit it too hard, rather than placing it. Watch the great scorers from the top teams in the EPL. Often their goals are exquisite, beautifully placed. The hard long-distance shots are as often from midfielders as from strikers.

I am not sure what a manager does about it, except to keep ramming home the rudiments of technique and having practice at shooting at particular segments of the goal to produce accuracy.

Nicko wrote the following post at 25/11/2013 10:54 AM:

My thoughts are that I''m sick of him cutting inside and ballooning chances over the bar or slicing them out for a throw-in.

But doesn''t every one of our wingers cut inside, close the game up, and then shoot?

This must be tactical!

If we agree he''s not supposed to be ''crossing to the big man'', then he''s doing what he is supposed to by cutting in and having a shot. He looks dangerous when he does, Im sure he''ll find his shooting boots again. Snodgrass by comparison rarely shoots (bar that one pearler he had against Southampton I think it was) maninly because he realises he doesnt have that powerful a shot on him so usually tries to pass. If the idea of one up front and wingers isnt crossing it, as playing inverted wingers suggests, then he''s doing exactly what he should. We''ve been crying out for someone who can do what Junior Hoilett did to us multiple times. He''s been off target of late, but he looks like our best goal threat in my opinion

At least Snodgrass gets a decent cross in every now and then. I feel frustrated at Redmond because he''s clearly got the ability to glide past players. When it comes to pulling the trigger he lets himself down and often the shot is wild.

Hoilett, what ever happened to him since he rejected Bayern Munich for QPR?

I remember really hoping we''d get him.

Redmond does need a bit of practice but i''d put most of it down to inexperience and pressure, the crowd will be starting to get hostile with the players and this can effect them.

I think he needs to look and pass more though.

Both a benefit and a negative when you have a player like Redmond in your team - its if you think the positives outweigh the negatives.
He''s young and relatively inexperienced, it also makes him quite unpredictable. That in itself is a bonus and a drawback at the same time.
His ability to beat a player is unquestionable - it comes naturally to him. Finishing and final balls often are the making and breaking of top, top wingers.
Thankfully, he has some time yet.