Sign in to follow this  
Felixfan

Interesting AGM on Tuesday

the AGM will be attended by shareholders...the ones that get to ask the questions will be the "known" share holders.. those least likely to Rock the boat...now the supporters forums.. they are different...

[quote user="Felixfan"]Will the managers chair be empty?[/quote]

Does the manager always attend? Either way I would imagine the body language and actual language of the directors will be interesting. At the unveiling of the accounts in October Alan Bowkett made some bold statements about aims for the season, specifically linked to Hughton, which won''t have been forgotten by attending shareholders:

“We budget to finish 16th financially, so any money above that is a bonus,” said the City chairman. “The continuous improvement objective for this football club is to improve from an 11th-placed finish in the Premier League, and that means we’re looking for a top-10 finish.Financially with our forecasting, we budgeted last year to be 16th and then we did far better, which meant had more revenue and we could invest more in the club’s ‘software’ – in the players, staff, Colney. So we’ve always sensibly budgeted for staying in the Premier League at a modest level."But the ambition of the football club – and Chris knows this – is continuous improvement. So 12th, 11th... What does that mean? It means a top-10 finish.”

I didn''t know Bowkett said that Purple. Very interesting. I think its great he came out and said that, its what every club should look to do. Doesn''t mean its going to happen, but its what we should be aiming for, and at the moment we are way off.

I don''t think Bowkett, McNally or any of the shareholders will be too pleased at the moment. We got lucky against West Ham in many respects, have very little clue away from home, not much more at home and we simply cannot place very highly in the table playing like we are for much more of the season. I think Hughton is in a very precarious position. The decision has to be made, do we let him beat Palace and keep himself in the job for a couple more weeks, quite probably suffering a couple more away defeats? Liverpool away is about a certain a win for Liverpool as you can get, with our current performance level and our recent record against them.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I didn''t know Bowkett said that Purple. Very interesting. I think its great he came out and said that, its what every club should look to do. Doesn''t mean its going to happen, but its what we should be aiming for, and at the moment we are way off.

I don''t think Bowkett, McNally or any of the shareholders will be too pleased at the moment. We got lucky against West Ham in many respects, have very little clue away from home, not much more at home and we simply cannot place very highly in the table playing like we are for much more of the season. I think Hughton is in a very precarious position. The decision has to be made, do we let him beat Palace and keep himself in the job for a couple more weeks, quite probably suffering a couple more away defeats? Liverpool away is about a certain a win for Liverpool as you can get, with our current performance level and our recent record against them.[/quote]

Quite, GP. I think you have to factor in a bit of hyperbole for public consumption. Whether Bowkett privately really was expecting a top-10 finish is questionable. But at the moment (roughly a third of the way through the season) we are in terms of points per game well below our final figures for 2011-12 and 2012-13. Whatever Bowkett was privately expecting I very much doubt he was expecting that.

PC wrote:

Quite, GP. I think you have to factor in a bit of hyperbole for public consumption. Whether Bowkett privately really was expecting a top-10 finish is questionable. But at the moment (roughly a third of the way through the season) we are in terms of points per game well below our final figures for 2011-12 and 2012-13. Whatever Bowkett was privately expecting I very much doubt he was expecting that.

So why would the Chairman state such a fact to shareholders if he wasn''t expecting it? In fact if you are not expecting it, why say anything! He has every right to expect improvement after letting the manager spend the biggest transfer budget in our history, who openly stated that he had done so to address the lack of goals scored in the previous season. I think shareholders will find out exactly how Mr Bowkett feels about things come Tuesday!

[quote user="Felixfan"]Will the managers chair be empty?[/quote]

I suppose at the start of the Meeting I could propose that the meeting be ajourned to another place and another time when the Managers chair be occupied by a man more competent and likely to achieve the Chairman''s express wishes as detailed at last years AGM.

That should put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Bobert wrote the following post at 2013-11-23 11:52 PM:

Felixfan wrote:

Will the managers chair be empty?

I suppose at the start of the Meeting I could propose that the meeting be ajourned to another place and another time when the Managers chair be occupied by a man more competent and likely to achieve the Chairman''s express wishes as detailed at last years AGM.

That should put the cat amongst the pigeons.

PLEASE, PLEASE DO!

The managers chair will be occupied and knowbody at the AGM will have the balls to challenge that so i wouldn''t get too excited.

[quote user="City 2nd"]PC wrote:

So why would the Chairman state such a fact to shareholders if he wasn''t expecting it? In fact if you are not expecting it, why say anything! He has every right to expect improvement after letting the manager spend the biggest transfer budget in our history, who openly stated that he had done so to address the lack of goals scored in the previous season. I think shareholders will find out exactly how Mr Bowkett feels about things come Tuesday![/quote]

These are deep and complicated waters, especially for a Saturday night, but there is potentially a difference between how much exact reliance - in terms of future performance - one should place on what the chairman of a listed plc says to the shareholders and what the chairman of  an unlisted plc (which is what we are) says.

[quote user="InchY_Van_Cureton."]The managers chair will be occupied and knowbody at the AGM will have the balls to challenge that so i wouldn''t get too excited.[/quote]

Well of course one would need a seconder to the proposal but its not like last time when Delia''s choice of Chairman was on the line. This time it is McNalley who would stand to loose his million a pound a year job and if Delia has now got her money back she might not care if he moved on. Delia was once very happy to wave to the Barclay.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]the AGM will be attended by shareholders...

the ones that get to ask the questions will be the "known" share holders.. those least likely to Rock the boat...

now the supporters forums.. they are different...
[/quote]

I suggest you have attended neither Jas.

What John said ^If you go, and you put your hand up to ask a question you''ll generally be awarded the opportunity of asking it at either event."Known shareholders" is a myth. Sadly it''s just sometimes only the same characters who dare speak.But hey, let''s perpetuate the myth if we can, eh?

The current set up have wised up to the 3 stooges who used to hold court in the days of Munby and Doomcaster to the extent that one of them David Batley was verbally shot down last year by Mr.Bowkett before he had hardly got to his feet.

As Lisa says if you hold your hand up you will be given a chance to ask any question you like. Nutty and I will be in attendance on Tuesday evening as will Ricardo I am sure. Anybody else intending to go ?

The board are usually very good at dealing with reasonable questions. They are not obliged at a Plc AGM to have a. Q&A session after the formal business but they like to give the shareholder supporters a platform recognising that this is a football club and not a footsie 100 business.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

The current set up have wised up to the 3 stooges who used to hold court in the days of Munby and Doomcaster to the extent that one of them David Batley was verbally shot down last year by Mr.Bowkett before he had hardly got to his feet.

As Lisa says if you hold your hand up you will be given a chance to ask any question you like. Nutty and I will be in attendance on Tuesday evening as will Ricardo I am sure. Anybody else intending to go ?

[/quote]I expect I will do a report for those unable to attend.

Will the axe fall before tomorrow night? If not will the board announce their support of Hughton. I can''t believe the question won''t be asked.

Unless of course it''s announced that questions about the manager won''t be answered. But can that be done at a shareholders meeting?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Will the axe fall before tomorrow night? If not will the board announce their support of Hughton. I can''t believe the question won''t be asked.

Unless of course it''s announced that questions about the manager won''t be answered. But can that be done at a shareholders meeting?

[/quote]

An AGM is to discuss the financial report for the year gone and to hear about the current year, and to vote on reappointing directors, accountants and the like. Since Hughton isn''t a director and isn''t primarly concerned with the finances then the board could declare him out of bounds as a subject.It might, though, look rather odd, or even suspicious.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

An AGM is to discuss the financial report for the year gone and to hear about the current year, and to vote on reappointing directors, accountants and the like. Since Hughton isn''t a director and isn''t primarly concerned with the finances then the board could declare him out of bounds as a subject.It might, though, look rather odd, or even suspicious.

[/quote]Seems unlikely to me. I have never seen them refuse to answer a legitimate question.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
The question could be asked as to whether there is financial provision for replacing the manager. Obviously a tongue in cheek question and I doubt if it will get an answer but it might be a way in.
Not sure the board announcing their support for the manager will tell us much. A bit like the old dreaded chairman''s vote of confidence - which normally meant they were gone within the month, but not always!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Seems unlikely to me. I have never seen them refuse to answer a legitimate question. [/quote]

I am only saying what they could do. Strictly speaking, they could rule that the safety or otherwise of the manager''s position is not a relevant subject for an AGM. I have no opinion as to what they might do.

If the recent forum is anything to go by, and it probably isn''t because we are talking about a meeting between the club''s owners, they asked that all questioners showed respect. Shouldn''t need to ask for that really though...

In most businesses it would be reasonable to ask whether a succession plan is in place for certain key appointments. Since the manager has such a fundamental impact on the health of the business it is a legitimate question to ask whether in the view of the Board his appointment has been a success and what Plan B consists of should the answer to that question be or become "no". Regrettably we won''t get a straight answer in this forum but it would be interesting to hear the strength of support and observe the body language. But they will be well briefed and prepped as it is the thing on everyone''s mind at the moment.

There have been plenty of AGM''s where the managers head has been requested, I can''t honestly remember when It was that Rodent did his famous:

"When were you last England manager?"

Of course who can forget

"You tell us what to do?"

Of course since the arrival of Mr Bridger and McNasty things have gotten altogether more businesslike but be assured that through the Chairmans most mellifluous presentation there will, I''m sure, be a Cameron Newark type shareholder ready to pose the question

"Mr Chairman, how long has the manager got?, I''ve been supporting this club since 1911 and.............."

It''ll happen, of that you can be sure.

Wasn''t there a point in time with the old board and in the last Worthy years when if someone even dared to pipe up with a question about the manager they would get shhh''d by conveniently placed shareholders who would never let them speak and just rubbish their remarks/told to shut up? Have a vague memory of reading many posts on here about it. I think this was the AGM. I hope these days are gone and people are indeed given the chance to speak...

You''re right, how easily I forget.

The Artful Roger would be prowling the room with his microphone taking questions off of the faithful, I recall one of our own tribe spending an entire evening with his hand aloft waiting to get a shot off at one of our managerial superstars.

Doomcaster sat there like some bloody great stuffed dummy doing his impersonation of a rabbit caught in the headlights, thank The Lord those days have gone.

There''s one bloke, looks like he works for HMRC who without fail got more than one question, always backed the board and manger and perched his creeping backside right in front of them.

Peter someone or other, this joker even thought Sutch was a good player back in olden times.

I love a good old AGM, I must sharpen my pitchfork

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Wasn''t there a point in time with the old board and in the last Worthy years when if someone even dared to pipe up with a question about the manager they would get shhh''d by conveniently placed shareholders who would never let them speak and just rubbish their remarks/told to shut up? Have a vague memory of reading many posts on here about it. I think this was the AGM. I hope these days are gone and people are indeed given the chance to speak...[/quote]

I can honestly refute any suggestion that I have ever been a "conveniently placed shareholder".[:D]

Cancel that. I''ve just found it in the "to do " pile. As I am roundly sick of the A11 I will await Ricardo''s report. Last time I went it was a pile of staged managed nonsense, but that was back in the Dark Days of Mr Rodent.   

[quote user="Bury Green"] There''s one bloke, looks like he works for HMRC who without fail got more than one question, always backed the board and manger and perched his creeping backside right in front of them. Peter someone or other, this joker even thought Sutch was a good player back in olden times.

[/quote]

Peter Wolsey,a retired Barclays Bank manager. Always manages to get in that he has been a supporter since 1946.