Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal II

What would you do different to Hughon if it was you?

I have heard a lot of people lately saying. I''m not sure what else CH could do differently. This got me thinking about what i would of done and how CH can improve. for me the big things i would change are.

1. Attack, sounds simple yet we don''t seem to grasp that other teams know we will sit and defend try to nick a 1-0,and if they put pressure on us we will make a mistake and concede.

2. If we must insist on play a 5 man midfield one of those HAS to be Hoolahan. I get its hard to fit him in a 442 but with two other CM''s you can allow him to be the link that has been missing so often this season.

3. If your original game plan isn''t working be flexible. Make changes do not wait until the 80 plus minutes to try and make a meaningful substitution to effect the game.

4. Make the most of the squad at my disposal and try not to isolate players you may need in the future i.e Becchio it does not make for a happy dressing room

• I would endeavour to find out what is wrong with Bassong. Has he lost enthusiasm, has the condition which prompted treatment during the summer left him less mobile, and has the captaincy overburdened him? He seems a much reduced player this season, and the defence is struggling without his influence.

•  I would instil more competition for players - drop those who are not performing up to standard. Martin did not play well against the Toon.     Right back is one of the few positions where we have two relatively equal players, and I would encourage competition between them. With RvW out still, Hooper has no competition, but I think it sad that Elmander becomes his partner, rather than Becchio. Has the latter upset the staff? I can''t believe that he is worse than the Swede. Why not give him a chance?

• Until Tettey returns, why not look to the U21 set up for someone to replace Johnson, who seems to have gone off? McGeahan is now 19 or nearly, and is a big lad. He ought to be on the bench. Josh seems to have caught the manager''s eye. Now that we have both Pilks and Snoddy injured, as well as Benno, it looks possible that Josh and Nathan may be our wingers next match. Why not introduce Jacob Murphy as well? Why not so0me of the U21 defence/ They can be no slower than our present bunch, apart from Olsson, and they may even have more concentration!

• Hold extra practice sessions, with intervals for discussion, to encourage midfield and strikers to learn each other''s games, and improve their connections at speed.

1) Play our best players in their best positions. Martin, as much as i love the bloke, hasn''t looked himself for weeks now. Whittaker in at RB
2) If we''re 2-0 down at half time with very little inspiration and confidence running low, i''d make an attack-minded substitution at half time. I''d have brought on Becchio and given himself a chance to prove himself and another target to aim at.
3) I''d make sure for the start of the second half Becchio acts as a link up between the strikers and midfield and instruct him to help out defending the midfield (i''d have taken Johnson off, so we''d only have the 2 CM''s).
4) If after 70 minutes we''re still not creating enough - i''d bring on Hoolahan, a player who can create.
5) If we lost 3-0, 3-1 i''d feel that i at least done everything i can after the players messed up for 2 goals to try and get them back in it - and hopefully gave the fans some brief moments of excitement since they travelled 4.5hours to get here.
Now, i''m just referring to the Newcastle match but you can probably apply it to most games this season

[quote user="Wiz"]Resign![/quote]^^^play two strikers, redmond on the right, sell snodgrass and sign a genuine pacey left footed left winger, send the ball down the flanks and barrage teams with balls into the box for strikers and fer to feed offto do that we also need a much more technically imroved and disciplined version of tettey, someone like nzonzi or yann mvilla (not going to happen) to sit and protect allowing fer to support the front two

Id stick two fingers up to the football world and tell my boys what the plan was. My plan would be play two up front and play traditional wingers. I wouldnt play through the middle. I would tell Olsson to attack as much as possible and the left winger to try to get to the byline and cross as much as possible. I would also charge the right winger with getting to the byline and crossing as much as possible. And I would play 4-4-2. Im not saying this is the way forward, Im just saying give the team a clear gameplan which we know will see the strikers getting on the end of crosses. Im sorry if this is an unsophisticated approach and upsets the gods of the beautiful game, but I want to see the strikers getting on the end of crosses, and crosses raining in from the wings.

Give a bit more consideration to how to cause the opposition problems - and therefore a bit less worrying about how they can hurt us.

Not play Johnson because he doesn''t give you enough to worry the opposition. He''s reasonably easy to play around (at this level) and offers very little in terms of attacking play. Might as well play Hoolahan and give yourself a chance of creating a bit more, even though he hasn''t been at his best.

Find a way of fixing the weak area between Turner and Martin - starting with not playing Martin.

Bring Bassong back alongside Turner (as long as he''s fit and sharp).

Not play Gary Hooper on his own upfront.

Encourage more support to the forwards. Even though the wingers often hold a fairly high line there can still be a massive gap between the forwards and the rest of the team. Which obviously makes us quite easy to defend against.