Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

The Baby Faced Assassin.

I have had the name Ole Gunnar Solskjaer running round my head for a few weeks now as a possible next manager for Norwich City. Everything just seems a good fit to me. Great playing career at Man Utd followed by spells involved in their academy and managing Man Utd Reserves for a couple of seasons.Has taken his home town club Molde to levels they have never before attained including winning their league. Has the qualifications necessary and his network of contacts both here and abroad surely is most impressive. His contract at Molde runs out in 2014 which must leave the door open to approaches. Good command of the English language so no obstacles there to overcome.

I am really struggling to find any negatives about the guy but will wait to be shot down.

I might have my wires crossed with someone else, but I thought he''d said he wasn''t leaving Norway until his kids had finished school or something similar. Also, just because someone was a good player doesn''t mean they''ll be a good manager.

I am not in the group that believes the fault lies purely with CH and so at this stage I am not thinking in terms of "next manager." Solskjaer manages a team ranked 325th in the world (compared to our 164th) and Molde has a squad value similar to Barnsley, Birmingham and Millwall. The stadium capacity is under 12,000. This season, they are currently in sixth place. All the teams above them - with the exception of Rosenberg, which has a similar squad value of £16m, are working with far less resources. Great player and great guy that he is, I do not think his management CV is strong enough and I cannot imagine him applying the hairdryer treatment which, in my opinion, is currently necessity.

" I cannot imagine him applying the hairdryer treatment which, in my opinion, is currently necessity."

You might be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9VQH9akwk

Won the Norwegian Cup today as well, put 4 past Rosenberg. Though I don''t want him as our next manager.

Mustard Matters,

We have already been through this - you and me.

Going on some website which makes up transfer value figures and then using those figures in an argument is moronic.

So is going on football manager to find out how much players earn. It is the same thing.

In the real world the likes of Barnsley and Millwall would not be able to afford to purchase the likes of Martin Linnes, Vergard Forren, and Jo Inge Berget.

Molde have 7 Norweigen internationals under the age of 25.

According to your stupid website source which generates random transfer values Mats Møller Dæhli is worth £100k.

I will bet you as much as you like in pound sterling that when Mats Møller Dæhli moves club, the 18 year old wonderkid who is one of the greatest Norweigen talents in their history and a player that Manchester United didn''t want to lose, it will be for well into 7 figures.

Please list the 18 year olds that Barnsley and Millwall have who are as good as that.

The current Norway squad contains the following Molde players:

Orjan Nyland (Age 23)

Martin Linnes (Age 22)

Vegard Forren (Age 25)

Mats Møller Dæhli (Age 18)

Jo Inge Berget (Age 23)

According to your stupid website source those five players have a transfer value of somewhere around £3m. At least two of those players would require that sort of outlaw ALONE.

Please get it into your head that players cannot be valued like real estate and no website can know the value of a player.

Jo Inge Berget has been chased by Newcastle and various top Italian teams. He isn''t a Millwall or Barnsley player.

Transfermarkt values Connor Wickham as more valuable than all but 5 members of our squad, what more proof do you need?

Would you sell Nathan Redmond for £2.6m and then buy Connor Wickham for £4.4m? No? Then stop quoting treating their ridiculous figures like they are gospel.

[quote user="christophedugarry"]" I cannot imagine him applying the hairdryer treatment which, in my opinion, is currently necessity."

You might be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9VQH9akwk

Won the Norwegian Cup today as well, put 4 past Rosenberg. Though I don''t want him as our next manager.[/quote]

You certainly did surprise me. Perhaps he witnessed the "boot throwing" incident.

Le JugeNorway are 47th in the FIFA World Rankings - between Iceland and Tunisia.I do not debate with you. In too many posts you are too strident and personal for my liking, and, in my view, illogical and off topic on too many occasions.. Alas, I do not indulge in Football Manager and its ilk. I also do not bet with anybody unless I know they can cover the stakes. You have been busy with all you posts - that I patronisingly applaud.  

Very good reader of the game. As a regular sub he would be one of the only ones studying the game looking for strengths and weaknesses.

Risky appointment but aren''t they all.

I think he would be an excellent choice and would like to see a partnership between him and Phelan. Rumour has it that he was approached for the Villa job a couple of years ago but turned it down because he wanted to remain in Norway.

It would be a risk but I don''t think it would be any greater than going for anyone else.

He''s said on several occassions that he is in no rush to manage outside of Norway - apparently he wants to stay there until his kids finish school (with one of the best educational systems in the world you can''t really blame him).

He is also already fantastically wealthy and there have been questions in Norway about his determination and ambition - he seems much happier to have a comfortable life than really push himself. Can''t say I blame him personally as that is the route I''d take, but not sure that is the attitude I''d like in a manager.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

He''s said on several occassions that he is in no rush to manage outside of Norway - apparently he wants to stay there until his kids finish school (with one of the best educational systems in the world you can''t really blame him).

He is also already fantastically wealthy and there have been questions in Norway about his determination and ambition - he seems much happier to have a comfortable life than really push himself. Can''t say I blame him personally as that is the route I''d take, but not sure that is the attitude I''d like in a manager.

[/quote]

I suspect that is true. That was the reason I turned the job down when Delia offered it to me after Lambert left.

He''s been my first choice for a while too (whenever it is that CH leaves). I remember Alex Ferguson saying of him that he was such an effective ''super sub'' as he''d sit and analyse the game from the dug out and knew exactly what to do when he got on the pitch. I think someone with that kind of tactical awareness can only make a good manager.It''s great that he is learning his trade in Norway rather than going straight in at one of the big boys over here, and at least he has a lot of experience here as a player. It''d certainly no more of a risk than Laudrup, although appreciate Mallorca is a bigger club than Molde.

OGS name has been mooted for awhile. Also my first choice replacement but I reckon if we aim for him we need to put Messi on the shopping list as well :-/