Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

A striker & centre back in January

I think the Johan Elmander signing was an error. At the time, I thought it looked good business, but looking at him and his play up to now - it seems like poor business. Ricky VW and Gary Hooper we need to give more time to because they are our players, but I think we need to sign another striker in January because right now, we effectively have two, with Becchio never ever given a chance and Elmander offering us nothing.

I suppose if 1 up front is how we will play the rest of the season then signing another striker seems a bit silly, but I don''t think Hughton will last the season, so I think signing a striker in Jan who can score and play with RVW and/or Hooper, would be a good idea. Maybe Fabio :-)

I also feel like we should''ve signed a centre back in the summer and was stunned when we didn''t. I felt Steven Caulker was a bad miss for us. £8m was a good price for him. A player who I think will be a future England centre back. He and Ryan Bennett would have made a great pairing. I''ve never been a huge Bassong fan and I think Turner is prone to errors and just looks uneasy at times whereas Ryan Bennett looks so much more assured.

We have tried to get Caulker in the past  but lost out to Swansea at the time, that was under Lambert of course. Ended up paying over the odds for Bennett in the next window.

As well as another expensive striker, perhaps we could also ask Santa for a formation/style of play that actually involves us passing the ball to the aforementioned striker when he is in goal scoring positions. Seriously even Suarezor Aguero on current form would struggle to score goals in our side.

It only seems we paid over the odds for Bennett because he hasn''t played much. I don''t think Bennett has been nurtured correctly. He''s a better player than Turner and Bassong yet often loses out to Turner and Bassong, albeit not lately.

Caulker would''ve made a great signing for us. A really top signing. Shame we missed the boat there.

Caulker has played for England already, so he''s a present england centre back.

Elmander hasn''t been great, but if we''re sticking with 4-5-1 then what''s the point bringing another guy in. I hope Hooper and RVW can be tried out together next week. Looking forward to seeing how they do.

I think that coveted number ten is still the man we need, someone who can count as either the 5th man in the middle or as a second striker. The glue that sticks the attack together.

Hopefully Bassong will be back on his game soon and tried out with Bennett.

@Louis Cyphre - perhaps you''re right. Just saying, the strikers we have aren''t scoring, one never plays so clearly isn''t fancied at all, the other is a loan player who lacks interest and effort. I don''t think signing another striker would be a bad thing.

@ Jimmy Smith - didn''t realise Caulker had played for England. I obviously missed the game he played. However, I more meant a future established England centre back with several caps under his belt. Was surprised and disappointed when he signed for Cardiff.

We spent an average of about £7m each for our two main strikers, who have scored two league goals between so far. If we are to buy yet another we would have to fork out considerably more, especially because it''s in the window when players cost more. Can you honestly see us paying £20m for a better striker?

If we do, how are we to obtain a centre back. We need not a skilful young player but an experienced player who can shout the defence into defending properly. Unless Bassong can find what he has lost, whether commitment, energy or mobility, then I fear a centre back is absolutely essential. We have a good LB in Olsson, but I am not greatly impressed by the remainder, and even Ruddy is showing signs that he is not at his best.

We conceded two bad goals at Newcastle. The first should never have been allowed to travel right across the six yard area for an easy chance, and the second came when Ruddy spilled and no-one else was awake or quick enough. We have begun to gift goals, and this requires immediate and drastic treatment! We need someone who can defend and also organise and encourage the defence.

Yellow Nets,I share your frustration, but the issue runs much deeper than the quality of oru strikers. Both Hooper and RVW are natural gaolscorers with good pedigrees. Why is it that they have suddenly stopped scoring? This problem is not confined to us - MOTD 2 ran a simialr discussion about how Spurs have turned the prolific Soldado who scoreds virtually all of his goals in the box in to a player that rarely gets into the box.

We dont need a striker !!!!!!! Cant supply the 1s weve we got ! Need a centre half, holding midfielder and a number 10.

Didn''t Hughton and McNally say that Norwich tried to get a centreback in the summer but could get a deal for a player they felt was good enough, basically because Alderwiereld wasn''t interested in coming to Norwich. Wouldn''t be surprised to see this addressed in Jan as well as some cover for Tettey and Pilkington who are both proving to be very injury prone.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]

It only seems we paid over the odds for Bennett because he hasn''t played much.

I don''t think Bennett has been nurtured correctly. He''s a better player than Turner and Bassong yet often loses out to Turner and Bassong, albeit not lately.

Caulker would''ve made a great signing for us. A really top signing. Shame we missed the boat there.[/quote]

He hasn''t played much because he isn''t good enough to get in the team. At the moment you''d struggle to find anyone who would pay us back what we paid for him.

He''s alright to have in the squad as backup but we''re lacking someone who can comfortably play on the left side of CB when Bassong isn''t fit.

Caulker would have been good but Cardiff have paid a massive fee for him and would he offer enough improvement (if any) on the Bassong/Turner partnership to justify spending that kind of money when it could be more beneficial to spend it elsewhere?

I agree we need another centreback, though in my opinion it''s to have someone better than Martin/Bennett, How many good players are going to want to come in and be backup? And if you want someone in the first team that offers a big improvement on Bassong/Turner it''s probably going to cost a lot of money to make it happen.

Generally I think people have been a bit too harsh on Bassong, a bit too quick to write him off. He proved last season he''s a quality player and he needs people to get behind him when he gets back in the team - which will hopefully be soon.

At the end of the day (cliché time) there''s a reason why Basssong was POTS and Turner was PPOTS.

be better using any transfer money to pay off hughton, trollope and calderwoods contracts and a new manager + staff in

we really dont need another striker.

i can only see loan deals being made, the sort of quality we should be getting is not going to want to permanently join a team deep in a relegation fight

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Didn''t Hughton and McNally say that Norwich tried to get a centreback in the summer but could get a deal for a player they felt was good enough, basically because Alderwiereld wasn''t interested in coming to Norwich. Wouldn''t be surprised to see this addressed in Jan as well as some cover for Tettey and Pilkington who are both proving to be very injury prone.

[/quote]

Agreed Beth. We definitely need cover for Tettey and that would be my first target.

We don''t need a number 10 or a striker. We need an attacking formation that creates enough space for anyone playing ''number 10'' to be able to feed any one of our two expensive strikers.

Without doubt Leroy Fer is as good a midfield player as we have had for a while but his frustration has been clear in recent matches when he has been presented with no options from midfield.

The inverted wingers we have create nothing. If either winger comes inside they drag their full back in with them and continually run into a congested penalty area.

Alan Shearer''s analysis of Spur''s lack of attacking opportunities last night could have been directed at us. Not even he, in his prime, could score goals in the attacking formation we are using.

No, we need pace and wingers who can deliver crosses behind a defence and supply opportunities to show how good the strikers we have really are.

A change of system is far more important than a change of players.