Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

What's Villa's Secret?

Paul Lambert has a worse record at Villa over the same period as Hughton''s record here. Theirs include an 8-0 PL defeat. Are these records much like we should realistically expect in this league?

Is this the time to mention that Lambert''s record against us is 3 wins and a draw since he took over at Villa and Hughton came here ?

We could do. Or mention Hughton''s victories over Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal. But mentioning neither will change the overall picture.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We could do. Or mention Hughton''s victories over Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal. But mentioning neither will change the overall picture.

[/quote]

Villa have beaten Man City and Arsenal THIS season whereas we have lost against them shipping a mere eleven goals.[:P]

We get it NN, the PL is a hard league to get points in. Maybe the Villa fans have been entertained more than we have with some forward thinking football and attacking subs though? As i have said before I expect us to be roughly where we are in the league, but i also expected the football to be a lot more progressive.

But with Benteke they haven''t matched our record without him...

[/quote]

I don''t think Lambert has done a great job at villa , the signing of Benteke IMO has stopped it looking even worse. However I also don''t think Hughton has done a great job with us either.

Yes but Hughton''s disgraceful record over 50 games is still better than Lambert''s. If you guys really want to make comparisons to show Hughton in a poorer light you''d be better using Man Utd.

What''s Villa''s Secret?.....a bit more strength in depth, and christian benteke, but he wont be there for long ,even after signing improved contract. if they win tonite they are up to 10th., 17 pts.

Personally i think the difference is Lamberts ''go for it '' attitude, sure, they''ll lose a few, but draws can get turned into wins. if you draw every game, getting 38 pts ,often isnt enough to stay up. but if you win 14 and lose the rest , you''ll probably stay up on 42, now , neither of these scenarios is realistic but they do demonstrate how going for the win may well increase your points tally. I know it didnt save blackpool but i''m sure y''all get my drift.

But they are below us in the table...

Both this season and last...

[/quote]

This from the poster who hates people posting untruths. [:$]

Yes but Hughton''s disgraceful record over 50 games is still better than Lambert''s. If you guys really want to make comparisons to show Hughton in a poorer light you''d be better using Man Utd.

[/quote]

I personally don''t judge Hughton on what''s going on at other clubs, it''s about what going on with us and how I personally don''t like our approach to matches.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

But they are below us in the table...

Both this season and last...

[/quote]

This from the poster who hates people posting untruths. [:$]

[/quote]

I think you''ll find that I corrected that nearly half an hour before you posted which just goes to show that accurate posting is important to me...

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nutty talks drivel why bother arguing with him? Either that or he just posts drivel to extend the threads endlessly[/quote]

Great contribution Bury. Good to see your living up to the half-witted reputation you have on here...

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]What''s Villa''s Secret?.....a bit more strength in depth, and christian benteke, but he wont be there for long ,even after signing improved contract. if they win tonite they are up to 10th., 17 pts. Personally i think the difference is Lamberts ''go for it '' attitude, sure, they''ll lose a few, but draws can get turned into wins. if you draw every game, getting 38 pts ,often isnt enough to stay up. but if you win 14 and lose the rest , you''ll probably stay up on 42, now , neither of these scenarios is realistic but they do demonstrate how going for the win may well increase your points tally. I know it didnt save blackpool but i''m sure y''all get my drift.[/quote]

Thanks buddy. That''s a good reply. But I think Lambert "going for it" is a bit of a myth now. I think a lot of it is fond memories of what he achieved here in lower leagues. The Villa fans think so anyway.

It''s interesting that in season 11/12 under Lambert our goal record in the last 10 mins of games was F8 A13 while last season under Hughton it was F7 A10.

[8]Oh those misty watercolor memories of the way we were....

I actually think Lambert is struggling tactically at Villa. He has a team filled with pace and for that reason they play quick football on the counter-attack whatever the opposition. This invites a lot of pressure but is also exciting to watch your team counter quickly and effectively. This was not a tactic he deployed at NCFC fortunately. 
Under Hughton we have seen plenty of the ball this season and i think i saw a stat which indicated we have had more possession in the final third than any other team, our problem is we are unable to break defenses down considering every team knows we look to get the ball wide before getting crosses into the box.
They are two completely different styles and i don''t think either have been particularly effective.

Lambert has a far better tactical awareness then Hughton. The Villa WestBrom game is proof of that.

Exactly the same situation. 2-0 down away from home. Hughton does not make any tactical changes until it is far too late and we limp to a loss. Lambert makes three subs on 66 mins and as it stands at the moment Vills get 2 goals and look like getting the win.

[quote user="Brightside"]Lambert has a far better tactical awareness then Hughton. The Villa WestBrom game is proof of that.

Exactly the same situation. 2-0 down away from home. Hughton does not make any tactical changes until it is far too late and we limp to a loss. Lambert makes three subs on 66 mins and as it stands at the moment Vills get 2 goals and look like getting the win.[/quote]

I don''t think Lambert is that tactically aware what he is IMO is flexible to change and willing to be brave and roll the dice. Hughton on the other hand has one tactic and it doesn''t change regardless of the situation apart from a token gesture usually in the last few minutes when it''s blatantly to late.

You can''t just compare the managers like that. It''s not black and white.

Lambert was never scared of taking a chance and certainly for us it mostly worked. Like the time he went 3 at the back with only 10 men and we still beat Brentford 1-0. Great stuff but I doubt we will ever see another one like him.

[quote user="christophedugarry"]You can''t just compare the managers like that. It''s not black and white.[/quote]

Of course it''s not black and white but it shows that in the same situation as Villa were in tonight we would not have been anywhere near as proactive and would not have got the point.

If Lambert has such a huge tactical edge over Hughton then tactics can''t have any importance in winning points. I think it''s more likely that they each have different qualities which are equally effective.Or perhaps people really do believe that we win points in spite of Hughton rather than because of Hughton.

If Lambert has such a huge tactical edge over Hughton then tactics can''t have any importance in winning points. I think it''s more likely that they each have different qualities which are equally effective.Or perhaps people really do believe that we win points in spite of Hughton rather than because of Hughton.

[/quote]

Lambert does have a tactical edge over Hughton, but not necessarily in football terms (stay with me Nutty!).

His ''edge'' so to speak, is that his tactics and style are much more exciting and appeasing for the fans. Villa have a relatively good if not young squad that so far Lambert hasn''t got the consistency they maybe should be aiming for at the moment. But when you''re 2-0 down, bring on 3 subs, get a goal back and the fans on-side and end up drawing...who''s complaining? Not many!

But when you''re 2-0 down, there''s no changes made and you bring on a striker to fill a right wing slot rather than dare alter the formation - with no real look of desire or action to suggest a desperation to get back into the game - there''s lots complaining.

You''re completely right in points-terms, so far they have been equally effective. But giving the fans something to get behind and believe in? That''s where Lambert wins comfortably (which is quite a feat as Hughton seems a really nice bloke who most would want to succeed)