Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

No new players just new manager

I think that''s the ''problem''

We still have the same mentality as last season, i wanted progression on our 11th placed finish from last season

Just not happening at the moment

The philosophy seems to be that the system and tactics from last season were right and that just an upgrade in the parts would improve results while we stick with the exact same way of playing.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]The philosophy seems to be that the system and tactics from last season were right and that just an upgrade in the parts would improve results while we stick with the exact same way of playing.[/quote]

This I agree with.   Hughton believes in the way he sets his teams up.   The fact it is not working well enough yet is down to the players to get right.  At its best, a Hughton team is an organised team good in defence with good ball holding and passing in midfield leading to better attack.  

I am still confident he can get it right both home and away, he does not seem to be a motivational manager in the same way as Lambert apparently was, so he relies on his players to motivate themselves.  So the players have to step up.  The mistakes on Saturday kyboshed  that, but there have been signs of improvement.    Seven of Saturday''s team were Lambert players, forced by injuries, so the team is still in transition.

New players or new manager?   New players.

So the bloke spends 25M+ and still doesn''t get the players to play to his system ?

In fact despite this investment the team look worse ?

Im amazed he is still here his team cant defend cant hold the ball up and can''t attack and with him at the helm we are going down. Not only that but we will be bored to death in the process.

New Manager and Quick

For a club of Norwich''s resources and stature, CH was given a king''s ransom to spend on new players over the summer.

I think that''s the thing that''s really p!ssed many of us off this season. We were told by the apologists that what we had to endure last season was a "no gain without pain" sort of scenario. Transition, if you like and the 11th place finish was proof that it worked. But , with the purchases over the summer, things were going to be different. We were going to be a good deal more positive. Try to win a few away matches etc etc.

But, in fact what''s happened is that we''ve gone backwards. Not only can we not score, but we now can''t defend either.

Up till recently the happy clappers like Lakey and Nige were suggesting that we were doing just as well this season as last. But their luck has run out. To get anywhere near our 25 pts by Xmas of last year, basically, we''re going to have to win ALL our games between now and then. And the deluded minority who seriously think that''s going to happen are getting fewer by the day.

We perhaps should have spent more on the midfield and/or defence instead of quite as much as we did up front. Holt leaving might have been a factor here, but at the very least we needed an upgrade on Johnson.

KG, £8.8m of that budget has been crocked for a while. Hooper was out for the start of the season.

Lately it seems that as soon as we look like getting going a key player gets injured (Tettey being the prime example).

It really is still a very thin squad as regards quality. Too many players out of form (OOF)at the moment as well - which happens in all teams.

Let''s see:

Ruddy - OOF

Bunn - injured

Martin - OOF

Bassong - OOF/injured

Pilkington - injured

Snodgrass - injured

E Bennett - injured

RvW - injured

Tettey - injured

That''s at least 6 of our best players not performing. A lot of the back up is still Champs standard.

Better luck. And Quick.

We need new players. The main problem is that transfers tend to cost more in January than in the summer. Even if we splash everything we have we can''t really improve the squad in more than one or two positions. If we try to sign three or four we can hardly improve the quality level.

We all hoped that although we had players from the time in Div.1 and the Championship, and also bought cheaply once in the Premiership, somehow by sheer spirit and fan support we could overcome teams who had been spending millions every year for several years. I suspect that Lambert knew this wasn''t on, and Hughton is demonstrating that it is very unlikely.

I have to say that if something bordering on a miracle is to happen, it will not be under the present management. If we could find a new manager who has vision, a clear method, imagination and also the ability to motivate players, - a big ask, then something could still be made of this season. I can''t see a top half finish in any event.

We need new players, no more than one or two to promise good quality. I would suggest a centre back and a midfield holding player. What further injuries await us we can''t know, but those two positions seem the most obvious at the moment.

We also need a new management. It has taken me a long while to come to this conclusion. Saturday''s performance finally convinced me - a spineless. dispirited first half littered with errors, and end of second half substitutions which defy understanding.

Hang on a bit, Ron . What you''ve written would be perfectly fair and just if we were just talking about the last couple of weeks.

But it''s not, is it ? All the players you mention have not been injured or out of form all season. And, with a few notable exceptions, the fare served up since day one has been dire.

In fairness to CH, he''s not resorted to the self pity of "we''ve been very unlucky with injuries" route ...YET.

Where I do agree with you is over the thinness of our squad. I''ve said for some time that people like Martin, Bunn, Johnson and Wes are basically Champ standard; good enough for cameo Prem roles, but no more.

I''ve a horrible suspicion that unless the injury situation improves rapidly, this , along with CH''s unadventurous tactics will come back to bite us on the bum.

Reggie, you are right, in that things were not as bad earlier on - but it definitely seems that the injury/form issue is deteriorating. Now it strikes me as possible that Hughton was failing to get the team right at the beginning of the season but, just as he was starting to find some form of working formation (of which Tettey was an integral part) injuries & loss of form (Ruddy in particular) really kicked in.

It''s impossible to extricate all the factors however. Part of the fascination of the game! How much is loss of form down to the manager? Or depression about other injuries? Or personal problems??

Yup, the players you mention are not quite there (although I think poor old Wes has simply given up the unequal struggle!) & quite a few others wouldn''t find other clubs rushing for their signature.

This season''s going to be our trickiest yet.