Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

That's the difference between lambert and houghton

[quote user="yellow old boy"]Putting subs on at the right team , we should have done all we can to have kept lambert[/quote]

Not sure we could have kept him but the way he has managed his team tonight clearly shows why having a plan b is essential. In the same situation as was proven on Saturday Hughton will limp to a pathetic loss where as Lambert will do something positive and get a well deserved point. It''s points like this that will keep Villa up and put us down.

Prepared to have a go, doesn''t accept defeat as inevitable, able to see where things are going wrong & make effective changes, acts quickly and generally shows a bit of bottle

[quote user="Making Plans"]Prepared to have a go, doesn''t accept defeat as inevitable, able to see where things are going wrong & make effective changes, acts quickly and generally shows a bit of bottle[/quote]Yes, he was always brave and for us it mostly came off. Thats why I said he would be at a top club one day and I didn''t mean Villa.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]We should never have sacked him.[/quote]We didn''t, he decided to buggar off to a bigger club.Just like he did when he left Wycombe and then Colchester and just like he will when he leaves Villa.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Prepared to have a go, doesn''t accept defeat as inevitable, able to see where things are going wrong & make effective changes, acts quickly and generally shows a bit of bottle
[/quote]

Precisely. Its what is known as good management !!!!

The difference between PL and Ch is immense. I suspect our board now realise how good Lambert is and increasingly how Hughton isn''t.

Hughton Out. Still.

I was going to start a thread regarding this but there''s one here already...Was listening to BBC West Mids this evening, as I''m in that part of the country. The commentators were really criticising Lambert, saying that last season his tactics were somewhat naiive but this year they''ve been just plain wrong. Many of the post match callers too are deeply unimpressed with him, as are the Villa fans who are in my office. It''s easy to put rose-tinted specs on but he''s gone, he ain''t coming back and the Villa fans don''t think he''s all that anyway.

Lambert has not worked that many miracles at Villa , they are not that much better now than when he took over . However if you want to compare him to Chris Hughton then its like comparing Alex Ferguson  with Bryan Gunn ,we have the worst manager in the top flight bar none and that is why next season we will be returning to the Championship .

There is not just one difference....other differences between Lambert and Hughton...

He is Scottish, Hughton is not

He wears glasses, Hughton doesnt

He is scruffy, Hughton is smart

He is not Norwich City''s Manager, Hughton is

Anyone else want to play spot the difference?  

1. Lambert had nothing to lose when he came to Norwich as we couldn''t have been in a worse state.  Hughton had everything to lose because we were already a mid table side when he came here.

2. Lambert had two years in the lower leagues to build a side and momentum.  Hughton had no time at all.

3. Lambert finished 12th    Hughton finished 11th.

4. Lambert "had a go"- that''s  the only way he knows.   Hughton does not do "had a go" - he wants something more reliable.  

5. Finally, the difference between the two now is very small.   Both are struggling to get their clubs going.  I wonder why?.............

Villa fans still see themselves as a top 6 side. I don''t think Lambert will ever make them that with his inability to manage big name players.Villa fans seem resigned to Benteke leaving in January or next summer.

This little discourse is all very interesting, chaps, but the only difference between PL and CH that I''m interested in is that the team that Paul Lambert manages has 4 more points on the board than the one that Chris Hughton manages.

Call me picky, but, especially come mid-May, that might be rather important.

Paul Lambert was brilliant for us with back to back promotions and 3 years of excitement. He was always going to be an impossible act to follow. I know some Villa fans are still not impressed but I think he will eventually succeed with them and move on to an even bigger club.

Lambert got a point out of nothing last night by being brave & decisive. We got nothing at Newcastle by dithering and doing nothing to try & to get a result even though we had nothing to lose.That to me says everything about the 2 managers in question and clearly demonstrates why the vast majority of City supporters, including me, want him gone.I just hope Hughton was watching & if the penny might have dropped at around the 57 minute mark - but I doubt it.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[quote user="yellow old boy"]Putting subs on at the right team , we should have done all we can to have kept lambert[/quote]

We did.  It''s over and it''s time to move on.

[/quote]

I refuse to accept that, in fact, imo, McNally inflamed the whole situation.

Perhaps though such analysis enters the realm of the unquantifiable, as a case in point I''d look all the way back to Clough at Leeds.

Despite all that he achieved elsewhere the fourty four days at our least favourite club in Yorkshire is something of blemish on a fantastic career that requires no further explanation.

Somehow in years to come I wonder if Lambert''s move to Villa will be a similar blemish on an otherwise impressive CV?

Like many of us I thought he was mad going to such a flea ridden mongrel of a club like Villa, his talents were surely better off in more verdant pastures and if he was sacked today I''m very sure he''d thrive elsewhere.

They say never go back and perhaps that is true but for me at least I felt he''d at least have a go, even if he knew we were going to take a hiding he would at least try and trade some blows.

That''s the difference, despite the vast inequalities that exist in the Prem we went to games with our gloves on and ready for a scrap even if we all knew we were going to take a footballing hiding. This suited the Norfolf mindset I think, the players followed him, we followed him and we had a good ol'' go

Nice Guy Chris is a lovely bloke but we just don''t turn up at games ready for a scrap. Game after game after game he seems happy to defend a two nil reverse and this smacks of ''Little ol'' Norwich'', something we''d ditched and something we never wanted back.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Lambert got a point out of nothing last night by being brave & decisive. We got nothing at Newcastle by dithering and doing nothing to try & to get a result even though we had nothing to lose.That to me says everything about the 2 managers in question and clearly demonstrates why the vast majority of City supporters, including me, want him gone.I just hope Hughton was watching & if the penny might have dropped at around the 57 minute mark - but I doubt it.[/quote]

This is the central point is it not?

The whole basis of this argument is that Hughton does not do what Lambert does. He is not Lambert. Therefore he should go.

As a comparison, that is correct. Lambert has many good qualities that Hughton does not share. He also has some undesirable ones that Hughton does not share.

However, once we all agree that, where does it take us?

If you loved driving your Golf, switched to a Laguna but prefer the Golf, you can switch back. If your new girlfriend is less keen on football and curry than the girl who dumped you, you can''t swop back again. Yet, the majority of fans (allegedly, though how anyone can say either way is beyond me), want Hughton gone because he is not doing things as Lambert did.

Comparing Hughton with Lambert is meaningless because Lambert is not an option. Your new girlfriend may be better with the kids and let you play golf. It is about making the best of whatever situation you are in.

This is why the question of who you replace Hughton with is the better one. We are not replacing Hughton with Lambert so that is a false comparison. You could quite sensibly say that you want to replace Hughton with a Lambert type manager. But like who?

The only valid comparator at the moment for Hughton is with his successor. It won''t be Lambert or Ancellotti so who? Then you must ask whether that person would be better than Hughton and why?

The three subs that Lambert put on last night?Delph - Weimann - Agbonlahor.All three of them would walk into our current side, no problem.Compare those alternatives to our bench warmers and you might appreciate Hughton''s dilemma.