Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Little ol' Norwich

I''ve seen this mentioned a lot on here but have found it difficult to debate because it seems to mean different things for different people. What is little ol'' Norwich?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''ve seen this mentioned a lot on here but have found it difficult to debate because it seems to mean different things for different people. What is little ol'' Norwich?

[/quote]

Delia bloody Smith.[:@]

I don''t think any two people have the same understanding of what "little ol'' Norwich" is. I have come to the conclusion that it''s just something to include in a rant for effect.

"little ol'' Norwich"  or otherwise known as "country cousins".   Out on a limb away from the mainstream, with little resources, happy to be involved, but not aspiring to anything great.    The attitude that seems to be shown by those that would prefer us to play open attacking football against clubs that have multi-million pound playing power, thus ensuring, inevitably, that we play entertaining football that will see us back in the Championship as quickly as you can say the word  "Blackpool".  

Or.....we can aspire to be a grown up club, part of the main stream as we were in the late eighties, developing a style of football that stands the test of time at the top level.  

[quote user="Paris Lees Missing Tackle"]Next to the words " little ''ol Norwich" should be a picture of L.D.C and that sums it up perfectly for most I would of thought.[/quote]

Maybe we should have a picture of you against the words  "Waah! I want it and I want it now!". 

On second thoughts, there''s no point as it would be censored  under the child protection act.....................

[quote user="Paris Lees Missing Tackle"]Dear oh dead oh dear, looks like another predator has found something to do while he uploads his filth[/quote]

You show so little understanding of anything written down it is quite amazing.   Suggest you enroll on a course of English language lessons so that you can follow what is being said to you a little better.  

[quote user="Paris Lees Missing Tackle"]Jesus christ are you offering 1 on 1 tuition now, ffs my mum warned me about dirty old men like you lol[/quote]

[:)] If I could teach, I would give you lessons in football supporting...................

You mean while we''re sinking to the depths of the championsh1t, you''d have me clapping all the way down. Your a joke L.D.C an utter joke. You post positivity in the same vain as wiz posts negativity....... FOR ATTENTION. what is it? A case of any attentions better than none?? Bless your little cotton socky woks

Little old Norwich is fans not able to grasp the financial reality and thinking they know more about football than a professional manager

[quote user="Paris Lees Missing Tackle"]You mean while we''re sinking to the depths of the championsh1t, you''d have me clapping all the way down. Your a joke L.D.C an utter joke. You post positivity in the same vain as wiz posts negativity....... FOR ATTENTION. what is it? A case of any attentions better than none?? Bless your little cotton socky woks[/quote]

You would know more about attention seeking than me.   I started posting on this board in 2009 because as the only place people who live away from Norwich can have day to day contact with the club,  I was fed up with the total negativity and refusal to see anything good in our club, despite evidence to the contrary.  That negativity has returned since Lambert left - again despite evidence to the contrary.    People have reverted to the easiest way of "supporting" - ie, slag off  everything because it doesn''t fit your view of things.   In my view things are rarely black or white, they are usually a mixture of both - some good things some bad things.   The balance is what we have to judge - does the bad outweigh the good or does the good outweigh the bad.   That involves discussion.   But some on here have been putting out "Hughton out" garbage since pre-season last season!! Entrenched negative views, before a ball was kicked in anger.

Me attention seeking?   Maybe, but as long as I can be bothered I''ll counter anyone that tries to railroad me or anyone else into supporting some self seeking bandwagon.    I am only interested in the football club and I know for sure that too much negativity is bad for the club.   Hughton has to address this - as do the fans imo.  

Getting back on track, "little ol'' Norwichers" means those who would return us to getting yet another manager, without waiting to see whether the present one can fulfil his brief.    We have had too many managers in recent years.  Lambert was an exception.   Some would say that  Roeder would have kept us up if the board had held their nerve.   With McNally  on board, I don''t see this board buckling under the pressure and so Hughton will stay.  So we might as well accept that, get behind him, recognise the good things when they happen as being partly to do with him - as if the bad things are down to him, then anything good is also down to him.  

LDC wrote

"Some would say that Roeder would have kept us up if the board had held their nerve."

There is probably some tribesman in Outer Mongolia who might say that! not sure you would find any City fans saying it though!

[quote user="Paris Lees Missing Tackle"]Hear hear Vanwink just another way that people can see ldc is full of utter 5hite[/quote]

You sound a bit desperate, bw - worried you are losing the argument?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Writing off games before we have even played it. "Oh it''s man utd. "Oh it''s Chelsea."[/quote]

I''ve never seen or heard anyone "write off" a match against the big boys, especially since we did extremely well against a lot of them at home last season.

What I have seen is people pointing out that on paper they are not the games we should be expecting and demanding wins from, but that is just realism. Every fan knows we can upset the odds on a given occasion. Seems to me that a lot of fans have been spoilt over the last few seasons and expect us to be walking over newly promoted teams.

When it doesn''t always happen, the toys go out of the pram and the (passive) aggressive posts appear on here like clockwork. You would think that given our relatively recent history people would realise stability is massively important for any club, especially one at our current stage of progression.

The grass is rarely greener, and considering we have had real and consistent injuries to key men this season it''s not a surprise we have struggled. The lack of progression is definitely a concern, but as we know in football it only takes a couple of positive results to totally overhaul a season, and even if Hughton is not the man to take us forward long-term, there don''t seem to be any real viable alternatives in place. I feel it would be fairly short-sighted to get rid of a manager in these circumstances (QPR anyone?) until it''s clear his position is untenable.

On the other hand, I wish the more vocal detractors of the club would put their money where their collective mouths are and organise some form of real protest to show the club their feelings. After all, Hughton "inners" are apparently in the minority now, so getting numbers and momentum should not be a problem.

Just making bitchy posts against fellow supporters, using an alter-ego on here instead, smacks of "Little Old Norwich" syndrome to me.

1) It''s a bastardisation of the journalistic term of a bygone era - plucky little Norwich (or insert other similarly placed team) who give a good account of themselves against better opposition, usually in the cup.

2) It''s a term coined by disgruntled (probably younger) supporters who think we should be regularly top half of the table and see the reality of what''s happening as having no ambition.

I think you are right Nutty, there is no set definition of what it means.

Only a list of people that use it.

- Fans of other clubs consider to be big or giants eg: Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle . . . . others . . . .

- Our own fans who want to use the team to beat other of our own support who try to understand what limitations the club may have and sympathise with them.

- Some of our own fans who genuinely do believe we aren''t a club of any great standing.

- Wiz.

I would advise that people drop the football bit and see what people further afield think about our city. Many view Norwich as being ''little'' - as far as personal experiences/observations go anyway.

I personally feel that a large part of this is perspective, much like when you see something on the horizon but as you don''t move towards it, or it towards you it never gets any bigger. A lot of people simply have no or little knowledge of our fine city or even it''s mighty football team.

There is no definition. We are certainly not viewed as little ol'' Norwich by are competitors in the PL. Tonight was really good to be with people who looked for positives and could tell us first hand what other people thought of us. One that was particularly satisfying for me was to learn that when our home grown players beat Chelsea''s expensive multi-national superstars in the youth cup final Chelsea had a player on the bench who cost 5m quid. Putting that into perspective it''s more than our record fee paid for a first team player was at that time. Another was the Chelsea chairman asking Bowkett how RVW was getting on because they''d been seriously interested in buying him. Our board and our club are now one of the big boys. Just need some of the supporters to catch up. I guess they''re the ones who are little old Norwich. The ones who would distort anything to put our club down.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty, "little ''ol Norwich" is actually resident on this side of the water in Norwich, Connecticut, a lovely little community today that is struggling to maintain a population north of 40,000. I should mention I have been advised by a reliable source that not a one of them has a season ticket to anything.

Now, not many people know this, Nutty, but little ''ol Norwich arrived on the scene just over 350 years ago when 69 families purchased some land from the Mohegan Indian tribe. The Indians at the time were used to being screwed by giving up their prized assets to Big Whitey for small transfer fees. The bigger tribes in other areas, on the other hand, seemed to do much better and always got a better quality of firewater for their land. This local tribe was there for the taking ( in the eyes of the white newcomers ) because their arrows couldn''t  even come close to the target for the rewards they were seeking but, they were overjoyed when the newcomers showed them how to construct barn doors that they could practice on.

As the next century moved along little ''ol Norwich began to make its mark on the new world.  One of its most famous ( some would say infamous ) sons was born in 1741, Benedict Arnold. Now little Benedict was an industrious young lad who was determined to put himself ( and Norwich ) on the map. He played with the Indians when he was a boy. They used to get him to retrieve their arrows in exchange for Canary yellow corn. One massive warrior, named Chase The Buffalo ( a real big cheese in the Indian world ), could make his bow stretch so taut that apparently his arrows would fly through the air at speeds far beyond what any human could comprehend. One day, Benedict made the mistake of holding on to the feathers of the arrow before Chase The Buffalo released it from the bow. The result was that Benedict had the great fortune ( some would say misfortune ) of flying though the air holding on to the arrow at the speed of lightning, causing him to experience a "Back To The Future" moment in  reverse. He was holding on backwards , you see. Now, once Benedict got a sniff of the future he knew that the colonials were going to be fighting for their independence from their British masters just when Benedict would be in the prime of life, so he decided there and then that, when he grew up he was going to be a master seaman and, ultimately, the leader of the Continental Army in their fight against the British. This, he was sure, would lead to him becoming the very first President of these here United States of America.

Well, we all know that poor little Benedict didn''t go far enough into the future on the arrow because, despite his prowess and success in battle, he was overlooked for the top job by the Continental Congress and others were given credit for his achievements. The top job ultimately went to a no name called  Georgie Washington, a kid of limited background it should be pointed out, who never had any exposure to Canary yellow or Chase The Buffalo for that matter. So poor Benedict, when he was fully grown and no longer flying around on arrows, threw his lot in with the British and became the biggest traitor in the history of these here United States, that is until the recent exploits of Edward Snowden.

Benedict was forced to take his wife and flee to Britain and hobnob with King George 111. During this time he often disappeared from his family home on "little excursions." It was rumored that he enjoyed other ladies in the northern provinces ( of which Norfolk was surely one ) and laid a few seeds to ensure his legacy ( traitor though it was ) would carry on through the centuries. He paid these ladies well to ensure there was always a link back to good old Benedict. The name he wanted carried on through the generations was Chase because he was certain that if he had not been on the end of the arrow from Chase The Buffalo he would have avoided his later misfortunes and greed would not have been part of his makeup.

Now, there you have it Nutty. That is what I think is at the core of this little ''ol Norwich mentality.