Sign in to follow this  
Irn Bru Canary

Henry Winter in the Telegraph

"Some managers are popular with referees. Chris Hughton is respected for being one of the most civil to deal with"

Do we like this or would we prefer a Fergie who tried to influence referees with his histrionics? Do we get more decisions with this reputation or not?

Could go either way, depends on the ref''s character. Some might respect him for being civil and may be inclined to award more 50/50''s to us against a team who is managed by a disrespectful manager for example. While others will think of him as more of a push over and would rather have to deal with his reaction to a poor decision than someone like Lambert/Moyes. Especially if they''re in the mood to see themselves featured on MOTD later...

Personally I prefer the way Hughton deals with referees, the ones in the first category seem to be the better ref''s like Howard Webb while the second category seems to be filled with attention/controversy seeking refs like Clattenburg and Friend.

oooooooooooh young man isnt he soooooo niiiiiice

talk about clutching at straws, its irrelevant, he can slap them all and call them Whitney for all i care as long as we win games

[quote user="iron_stan"]oooooooooooh young man isnt he soooooo niiiiiicetalk about clutching at straws, its irrelevant, he can slap them all and call them Whitney for all i care as long as we win games [/quote]

For once I agree with you.   Niceness or nastiness is irrelevant.

"Nice" is a word that doesn''t mean much anyway.   I see Hughton as honest, business like and respectful and people appreciate that.   

Results are what matters.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="iron_stan"]oooooooooooh young man isnt he soooooo niiiiiicetalk about clutching at straws, its irrelevant, he can slap them all and call them Whitney for all i care as long as we win games [/quote]

"Nice" is a word that doesn''t mean much anyway.   I see Hughton as honest, business like and respectful and people appreciate that.   

[/quote]

They are indeed, Lakey.

They are indeed.........

There was an interesting article in the Torygraph earlier this week, I think by Henry Winter too, about why Spurs have such trouble scoring goals.

It seems they are playing 4-2-3-1. Two holding midfielders, both defensive. And in the three behind the isolated loan forward, they''re playing the wingers on the "wrong" side. Which means they always cut inside onto their stronger foot. Thus denying the team width, and meaning crosses curl in to the keeper, not away from him. And they have spent money on a continental forward, who doesn''t really want crosses being rained in.

All of which sounded strangely familiar.

He suggested that the lack of penetration endemic to 4-2-3-1 system (when played with wingers on the "wrong" side) was evident from the fact that only one team in the Premiership has been caught off side as little as Tottenham. Which (being caught off side) he said wasn''t positive, because what the lack of being offsides demonstrates is the lack of any attempt to penetrate, because no one is playing through balls, and no one is attempting to run beyond the last defender. So, no one gets caught offside, because no one is even trying to get behind the defence.

The only other team to have been caught off side as little (and therefore trying to get in behind the last defender as little)? You''ve guessed it......

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="iron_stan"]oooooooooooh young man isnt he soooooo niiiiiice
talk about clutching at straws, its irrelevant, he can slap them all and call them Whitney for all i care as long as we win games

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly!

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]There was an interesting article in the Torygraph earlier this week, I think by Henry Winter too, about why Spurs have such trouble scoring goals.

It seems they are playing 4-2-3-1. Two holding midfielders, both defensive. And in the three behind the isolated loan forward, they''re playing the wingers on the "wrong" side. Which means they always cut inside onto their stronger foot. Thus denying the team width, and meaning crosses curl in to the keeper, not away from him. And they have spent money on a continental forward, who doesn''t really want crosses being rained in.

All of which sounded strangely familiar.

He suggested that the lack of penetration endemic to 4-2-3-1 system (when played with wingers on the "wrong" side) was evident from the fact that only one team in the Premiership has been caught off side as little as Tottenham. Which (being caught off side) he said wasn''t positive, because what the lack of being offsides demonstrates is the lack of any attempt to penetrate, because no one is playing through balls, and no one is attempting to run beyond the last defender. So, no one gets caught offside, because no one is even trying to get behind the defence.

The only other team to have been caught off side as little (and therefore trying to get in behind the last defender as little)? You''ve guessed it......[/quote]

That is interesting.  So why do AVB and Hughton play this way?  Why would you persist with a system that doesn''t work offensively?   Spurs are historically an attack minded team as are we.    So is it the the manager''s tactics at fault, or the players not functioning in the system how the manager wants them to?   AVB is supposed to be a top coach?  Hughton is supposed to be a great coach too.   So is it the managers or the players? 

Well, it''s a reasonable question, Lakey, but you kind of answer it yourself.

Whichever way you look at it, CH has to take a large lump of the responsibility . One assumes that the coaching, tactics is his call, and Calderwood and Trollope basically carry out his instructions.

The players? Well, increasingly, the squad is made up of people CH has recruited. Less and less is he lumbered with ex-Lambert players. If the players are not good enough, unable or unwilling to follow what he says, then whose fault is that ?

Football is a business. And in business, the buck ultimately stops with the boss.