Sign in to follow this  
I Love Fernando Derveld

If not Hughton, then who?

Actually Cambridge Yellow it wasn''t me that suggested Steve Pressley but I did contribute to that thread.

I was suggesting Uwe Rossler of Brentford. I should add that my chums taunt me relentlessly for my silliness. Shame really as I think he will make it at as a Prem manager. He is Lambertesque in his approach, had a tough upbringing in East Germany and is impressive with the media.

My alarm is going so I''ll have to get up soon.

You all seem to forget one thing, CH is the boards choice and from everything we hear at fans forums and AGM,s they believe that he is the best in class manager. Only getting cut adrift or CR turning into Worthy/Burnley type of bloodletting arena will change that.

It might happen but I think it''s still odds on that he will still be here next year. Only a bad result Saturday will force me to change that opinion.

That''s the way I see it Rickyyyy. But there''s so much pressure involved on that Palace game just as there was the West Ham one. I''d lay money that McNally will have a private contingency plan to offer to the board if the worst happens. They may not have discussed it at board level but he will have a plan. Because if the board wield the axe he''s going to be asked to provide an alternative pronnto. Unless of course they go back to the application / interview process that appeared to be dumped for the last two managerial appointments.

[quote user="ricardo"]You all seem to forget one thing, CH is the boards choice and from everything we hear at fans forums and AGM,s they believe that he is the best in class manager. Only getting cut adrift or CR turning into Worthy/Burnley type of bloodletting arena will change that.

It might happen but I think it''s still odds on that he will still be here next year. Only a bad result Saturday will force me to change that opinion.[/quote]

He was their choice then. And the directors are hardly going to use a fans'' forum to start publicly drawing back from that, although the mood music/body language at the AGM tonight might be a bit of a pointer. But this is a very unleaky board of directors that does not share its true feelings with journalists, either local or national. I don''t think it has been possible so far to draw any conclusions about whether Hughton is safe for the season or about to be chopped.

There was some reaction to my suggestion of Darren Ferguson. I have explained my thinking on other threads. But its is why I placed him in a team with Mike Phelan and Neil Adams. One thing that many believe is lacking is fight, spirit, belief, confidence, and in "old fashioned" speak getting in the opponents faces etc. Of the realistic options I believe DF would be ideal to instill this but with no Prem experience will need serious back up. Hence Phelan with Adams'' knowledge of the players and success at youth level to feed them through successfully. Only Wiz seems to have understood this as a package.

I had also mentioned Uwe Rosler last season when this topic flared up again after the home defeat to Villa so I am glad that someone else sees the potential.

[quote user="JF"]So he is a good Championship manager then? That''s good for us because that is exactly where he is taking us. Even Gunn could have got that Newcastle team promoted and they were so impressed with him they sacked him as soon as they saw he couldnt make the step up.[/quote]So Newcastle sacked him when they were a mid table prem team, and where have they got to since?

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"][quote user="JF"]So he is a good Championship manager then? That''s good for us because that is exactly where he is taking us. Even Gunn could have got that Newcastle team promoted and they were so impressed with him they sacked him as soon as they saw he couldnt make the step up.[/quote]So Newcastle sacked him when they were a mid table prem team, and where have they got to since? [/quote]In fact this was his Newcastle record for 2010-11 before he got sacked:

August
16 Aug, 20:00

Manchester United

3 - 0

Newcastle United

Premier League
22 Aug, 13:30

Newcastle United

6 - 0

Aston Villa

Premier League
25 Aug, 19:45

Accrington Stanley

2 - 3

Newcastle United

Carling Cup
28 Aug, 15:00

Wolverhampton Wanderers

1 - 1

Newcastle United

Premier League

September
11 Sep, 15:00

Newcastle United

0 - 2

Blackpool

18 Sep, 15:00

Everton

0 - 1

Newcastle United

22 Sep, 19:45

Chelsea

3 - 4

Newcastle United

Carling Cup
26 Sep, 16:10

Newcastle United

1 - 2

Stoke City

Premier League

October
3 Oct, 13:30

Manchester City

2 - 1

Newcastle United

Premier League
16 Oct, 15:00

Newcastle United

2 - 2

Wigan Athletic

Premier League
23 Oct, 17:30

West Ham United

1 - 2

Newcastle United

Premier League
27 Oct, 19:45

Newcastle United

0 - 4

Arsenal

Carling Cup
31 Oct, 13:30

Newcastle United

5 - 1

Sunderland

Premier League

November
7 Nov, 13:30

Arsenal

0 - 1

Newcastle United

Premier League
10 Nov, 19:45

Newcastle United

1 - 2

Blackburn Rovers

Premier League
13 Nov, 15:00

Newcastle United

0 - 0

Fulham

Premier League
20 Nov, 15:00

Bolton Wanderers

5 - 1

Newcastle United

Premier League
28 Nov, 13:30

Newcastle United

1 - 1

Chelsea

Premier League

December
5 Dec, 13:30

West Bromwich Albion

3 - 1

Newcastle United

Premier League
(sorry for the bad cut and paste job) - Please show me where he was ''out of his depth''

Why did they sack him then? It wasn''t for no reason was it?

[quote user="JF"]Why did they sack him then? It wasn''t for no reason was it?[/quote]I have no idea, but my point was that they haven''t improved that much/at all by sacking him, and I don''t think we would either. In fact I think by sacking him, we would actually do worse.

Fair enough that is your opinion and if we stick with him i hope you are right. I myself am not convinced by that but we will have to see how it plays out.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s the way I see it Rickyyyy. But there''s so much pressure involved on that Palace game just as there was the West Ham one. I''d lay money that McNally will have a private contingency plan to offer to the board if the worst happens. They may not have discussed it at board level but he will have a plan. Because if the board wield the axe he''s going to be asked to provide an alternative pronnto. Unless of course they go back to the application / interview process that appeared to be dumped for the last two managerial appointments.

[/quote]

I really wonder how much this parallels the Gunn situation and how much its completely different. Gunn was the only thime this current board have sacked a manager. And they did that pretty ruthlessly. Important distinctions being that they were implementing regime change and Gunn was a carry-over from previous. Very plausible they never wanted him and were delighted to have such an easy excuse to make a change so early on. Hughton was their man, I imagine it must be totally different, so I doubt we would see the same steel as before, even if they felt a change was necessary. Id imagine they felt no loyalty to Gunn (the new board members), which cant be a factor in considering Hughtons position. Also the compensation issue is a very big one in this scenario

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]There was some reaction to my suggestion of Darren Ferguson. I have explained my thinking on other threads. But its is why I placed him in a team with Mike Phelan and Neil Adams. One thing that many believe is lacking is fight, spirit, belief, confidence, and in "old fashioned" speak getting in the opponents faces etc. Of the realistic options I believe DF would be ideal to instill this but with no Prem experience will need serious back up. Hence Phelan with Adams'' knowledge of the players and success at youth level to feed them through successfully. Only Wiz seems to have understood this as a package.

I had also mentioned Uwe Rosler last season when this topic flared up again after the home defeat to Villa so I am glad that someone else sees the potential.[/quote]Much rather Rosler than Ferguson for this reason:- Ferguson has had a crack at a bigger club than Posh (Preston) and failed miserably. He has also failed to establish Posh in the championship despite having, on paper, a pretty decent squad at that level.Rosler is doing a cracking job on a very small budget at Brentford.But for me, IF we are to replace Hughton (and I think that would be a huge mistake), surely it should be for someone with a proven track record in the top division (either in this country or abroad) if we want to become an ''established Premier League team''As an aside - Phelen''s odds on being our next manager tumbled yesterday after that article on him really ''managing'' Man U for the last 5 years was published. This would be a big no no for me too - looking at all of Fergie''s assistants over the years, only Quiroz (who was a manager in his own right before working with Ferguson) and McClaren have had any sort of success. In giving that interview yesterday he seemed to be setting his stall out to be considered as a ''manager'' rather than a ''coach'', so I can''t see him coming as an assistant, especially not to Darren Ferguson (I expect Ferguson senior was not too happy about that article!!)

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]How about Sami Hypia as another name in the hat.

Seems to be doing a cracking job in Germany.

Would probably relish a go in the English Prem to show what he can do and played in this league for a number of years with Liverpool.[/quote]You really think he''d leave a team currently sitting second in the Bundesliga and in the Champions League for a lower mid table club.Talk about an unrealistic target!!

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]How about Sami Hypia as another name in the hat. Seems to be doing a cracking job in Germany. Would probably relish a go in the English Prem to show what he can do and played in this league for a number of years with Liverpool.[/quote]

Manage the third/fouth biggest club in Germany and probably make the Champions'' League again next season or manage Norwich...

I think I know what his choice might be.

No I''m not saying I''m no expert in football, but some of the suggestions on this thread are laughable. League 1 managers with no experience of working at the top level, people who have been out of the game 8 years, and now a manager working in the top level with Leverkusen. Give me a REALISTIC name who would do a BETTER job than Hughton and I might agree he should go.

[quote user="hazza9"]Ole gunnar Solskjaer (manager) Mike Phelan (Assistant) Neil Adams (Coach)[/quote]

Solskjaer - doesn''t want to leave Norway yet

Phelan - doesn''t want to be an assistant again

Also, never a good idea for a board to pick a manager''s assistants, that should always be done by the manager himself.

I''m sure I heard Solskjaer saying that if the right premier league club came in for him, he would consider it.

Yeah I appreciate your comment about club picking assistants but I feel this combination could work.

If Phelan won''t accept the Assistant role, maybe someone like Gary Neville with Solskjaer.