Sign in to follow this  
I Love Fernando Derveld

If not Hughton, then who?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Of the suggestions so far, i''d take Mackay and Biesla and RDM

There are plenty of managers out there.[/quote]All at once! A managerial dream team (wage bill might be quite high though)Seriously though - Bielsa is a non starter for me - I think he is looking for another (highly paid) international job to come up, and if he does decide to go back into club management I can''t see him taking on a mid-table/relegation struggling team in a non-Spanish speaking part of the world. Before you say ''Pochetinno'' - he had everything to prove as a manager, Bielsa has nothing to prove. I would love to be proved wrong as I''m sure he''d be great for us, but he isn''t a ''realistic'' target as far as I''m concerned.I don''t get the love for RDM - I don''t see how he''s an upgrade on Hughton - he got lucky and won 2 cups with a very, very good Chelsea team, but ultimately their league form was poor and he was sacked. West Brom got rid as they didn''t feel he would keep them up, and he didn''t really do that much at MK Dons before that. He is also currently being paid nearly £100 grand a week from Chelsea until the end of the season which he would lose if he took another job - which is why I believe he was offered the Sunderland job but turned them down.Mackay - I can''t see him coming here - if he was going to walk at Cardiff cos of the owner he''d have done it by now, and Cardiff can''t really sack him after their start to the season can they? If he leaves Cardiff I think it would be for a ''bigger'' club. (which I''m afraid we are not.)

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]All those of you who want ''Hughton Out'' - please give me a name you want in. While I too feel the season so far has been a disappointment, I don''t know who else we could realistically get in who would do a better job?
[/quote]

Its not our job to do that, its what our CEO is paid ruddy well to do, he knows what budget and managers are available better than we do.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]All those of you who want ''Hughton Out'' - please give me a name you want in. While I too feel the season so far has been a disappointment, I don''t know who else we could realistically get in who would do a better job?[/quote]

Its not our job to do that, its what our CEO is paid ruddy well to do, he knows what budget and managers are available better than we do.

[/quote]And he obviously thinks Hughton is the best man for the job - and you''ve just admitted he knows more than you! :)

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]All those of you who want ''Hughton Out'' - please give me a name you want in. While I too feel the season so far has been a disappointment, I don''t know who else we could realistically get in who would do a better job?[/quote]

[/quote]
Agree.
Not that i specifically want Hughton out right now - but a good CEO should in theory have a plan B at the ready (which if Hughton had, we might not even be talking about him getting the sack)

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"]All those of you who want ''Hughton Out'' - please give me a name you want in. While I too feel the season so far has been a disappointment, I don''t know who else we could realistically get in who would do a better job?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well it''s better than suggesting Holloway I suppose.

But it''s revealing that someone who has been opposed to Hughton (off and on) for ages, isn''t even putting forward suggestions for alternatives.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But it''s revealing that someone who has been opposed to Hughton (off and on) for ages, isn''t even putting forward suggestions for alternatives.

[/quote]

No its not, its a stone cold, million pound fact.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Its Character Forming"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No its not, its a stone cold, million pound fact.

[/quote]A ''million pond fact'' what is that? But thats the point of me starting the thread, it''d easy to criticise Hughton, McNally et, but give me some names who would do a better job than them. You can''t. Point made

The OP is right. There isn''t a manager or coach on the planet right now, who we could bring in, who would do a better job. No one. Absolutely nobody. So let''s just accept chris hughton is clearly and unquestionably the best man for the job. OK!?

[quote user="Keith Scott"]The OP is right. There isn''t a manager or coach on the planet right now, who we could bring in, who would do a better job. No one. Absolutely nobody. So let''s just accept chris hughton is clearly and unquestionably the best man for the job. OK!?[/quote]

Enjoy relegation then.

That is the only valid question. never mind comparing Hughton to Lambert. You might as well compare him to Mourinho for all the relevance it would have to City''s future

Who would succeed Hughton and could he do a better job for longer than the alleged new manager bounce? I have not heard a single viable suggestion worth the expense and risk of sacking Hughton yet though I liked Bury Yellow''s left field suggestion of Steve Pressley. A very risky option though.

Love the irony!

I''ve put this on other threads but my proposal is:

Darren Ferguson (manager)

Mike Phelan (coach)

Neil Adams (assistant manager)

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Love the irony! I''ve put this on other threads but my proposal is: Darren Ferguson (manager) Mike Phelan (coach) Neil Adams (assistant manager)[/quote]

This could grow on me.

Darren Ferguson??   What has he done to deserve a premiership chance?   He showed his mettle when he went to Preston.   Out of his depth.  A league one/championship one club wonder - who isn''t that wonderful.Next......

[quote user="lake district canary"]Darren Ferguson??   What has he done to deserve a premiership chance?   He showed his mettle when he went to Preston.   Out of his depth.  A league one/championship one club wonder - who isn''t that wonderful.

Next......

[/quote]

Remember a certain Mr Lambert Lakey?

Problem as i see it is that any Manager coming in has an incredibly hard short term goal to turn this rot around and instil some belief in the team, but they''ve got to do it without going out and getting hammered in the process, and the fans have got to be 100% behind them.

Following on from that we need someone who will control things going forwards.

It seems to be that we need a cream of the crop manager to perform both roles, primarily a man manager who can work with what we have mentally right now, but is tactically astute and clinical in decisions to take us forwards. Honestly, who''s out there that would a. join us, and b. fulfil that role? We''re talking big time managers here.

So, as bad as this sounds, i think McNally should be looking purely on a short term basis right now, that''s the immediate issue that needs sorting.

I think getting rid of Hughton and replacing with Adams as interim is, not only dangerous, but a hugely attractive proposition for me, and see how things shape up after that. I''m sure he has respect around the club, the players know him. If somehow, he instils that short term belief then maybe McNally can be left to fill the role of bringing someone in more long term and thank Adams for his work with a sizeable bonus.

I just feel that moving forward in that way gives us a chance to assess things more clearly, because right now honestly, we don''t know if it''s an issue of mentality, the managers tactics, quality of squad or or just a massive rut that we find ourselves in. An interim manager who has the players trust would uncover that via a process of elimination.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Darren Ferguson??   What has he done to deserve a premiership chance?   He showed his mettle when he went to Preston.   Out of his depth.  A league one/championship one club wonder - who isn''t that wonderful.Next......

[/quote]

[/quote]Who went from one league 1 club to another. Ferguson has been shown to be out of his depth at Championship level with Posh, if you really do think he is a better option than Hughton, then you do need help, I just thought you were an attention seeking loner finding company on the internet, but it seems you may well be truly unhinged

[quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Darren Ferguson??   What has he done to deserve a premiership chance?   He showed his mettle when he went to Preston.   Out of his depth.  A league one/championship one club wonder - who isn''t that wonderful.

Next......

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who went from one league 1 club to another. Ferguson has been shown to be out of his depth at Championship level with Posh, if you really do think he is a better option than Hughton, then you do need help, I just thought you were an attention seeking loner finding company on the internet, but it seems you may well be truly unhinged
[/quote]

Look at our resources compared to Posh.............and you call me unhinged, jeez.[:S]

Quite honestly after Saturdays pathetic performance and lack of any attempt by our failed managers playing coaches, and our very good coach imposing as a manager to change it about before the 89th minute, then I am at the point where i would take just about anyone now, but to throw some names out there RDM, Zola, Hoddle, in fact f it, even Gary Neville sounds like he may be able to do a job. Or there must be options abroad we dont know of, remember this chap called Wenger? Arsenal got him from japan didnt they?I''m sick of watching the shite served up by Hughton and it''s got to the point where I don''t look forward to going any more.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="I Love Fernando Derveld"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Darren Ferguson??   What has he done to deserve a premiership chance?   He showed his mettle when he went to Preston.   Out of his depth.  A league one/championship one club wonder - who isn''t that wonderful.Next......

[/quote]

[/quote]Who went from one league 1 club to another. Ferguson has been shown to be out of his depth at Championship level with Posh, if you really do think he is a better option than Hughton, then you do need help, I just thought you were an attention seeking loner finding company on the internet, but it seems you may well be truly unhinged[/quote]

Look at our resources compared to Posh.............and you call me unhinged, jeez.[:S]

[/quote]Look at Posh''s resources compared to most league 1 clubs - success in that division for them is a given. Now look at Ferguson''s record with Posh and Preston in the Championship.. he hasn''t stepped up to that level yet.

[quote user="JF"]Quite honestly after Saturdays pathetic performance and lack of any attempt by our failed managers playing coaches, and our very good coach imposing as a manager to change it about before the 89th minute, then I am at the point where i would take just about anyone now, but to throw some names out there RDM, Zola, Hoddle, in fact f it, even Gary Neville sounds like he may be able to do a job. Or there must be options abroad we dont know of, remember this chap called Wenger? Arsenal got him from japan didnt they?I''m sick of watching the shite served up by Hughton and it''s got to the point where I don''t look forward to going any more.[/quote]Hoddle? Hoddle? The man who hasn''t managed anyone for nearly 10 years since he failed in the championship on a big budget with Wolves. I thought Darren Ferguson was a laughable choice, but that really takes the biscuit.

As far as I''m aware the clubs policy in appointing new managers is PL experience but not just the EPL and one who they consider to be "best in class" which I loosely interperate as the best from the pond in which they can fish. So unless there''s a rethink many of the names suggested here wouldn''t even get an interview.

You may be right but a fail to see how he could be worse than Hughton! Hoddle was the vest England manager of the last 20 years so he mist have something about him? Whats hughton ever done? There was a reason Newcastle sacked him amd now most of us can see it.

What level of experience does a new manager need though? Is Premier League experience absolutely mandatory? Does it guarantee success? (Have teams that have been relegated been managed exclusively by managers who were Premier League managers? Have new managers always fallen on their face?)

I would perosnally consider Zola or Gary Neville good shouts. I know Neville has zero experience, and that he may not even be interested or qualified to be a manager. But he is a winner, he has the right attitude, and his knowledge is top drawer. He COULD become a great manager. Or he could become a Roy Keane

[quote user="JF"]You may be right but a fail to see how he could be worse than Hughton! Hoddle was the vest England manager of the last 20 years so he mist have something about him? Whats hughton ever done? There was a reason Newcastle sacked him amd now most of us can see it.[/quote]Hughton took Newcastle back up and got them to a level they are currently at - I''m not sure Pardew was much of an imporovement, He then went to Brum and took them into the play-offs, despite losing several players at the start of the season and having to compete in the Europa League as well (look how that has affected Wigan''s season so far to see what a good job he did). Then he took us to our highest league finish in 19 years.Pretty good credentials for me

So he is a good Championship manager then? That''s good for us because that is exactly where he is taking us. Even Gunn could have got that Newcastle team promoted and they were so impressed with him they sacked him as soon as they saw he couldnt make the step up.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

What level of experience does a new manager need though? Is Premier League experience absolutely mandatory? Does it guarantee success? (Have teams that have been relegated been managed exclusively by managers who were Premier League managers? Have new managers always fallen on their face?)

I would perosnally consider Zola or Gary Neville good shouts. I know Neville has zero experience, and that he may not even be interested or qualified to be a manager. But he is a winner, he has the right attitude, and his knowledge is top drawer. He COULD become a great manager. Or he could become a Roy Keane

[/quote]

Nothing guarantees success. If it did all the clubs would win the league at once. I just stated what I remember was said by the board last time. If they have a change of policy they could take a gamble from lower leagues or even someone like Gunn who had never been a manager. In fact I think someone on here reckoned that Gunn was better than Hughton so there''s a thought...