Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Piffle!

It''s straw clutching and diversion. What was seen last night, and what has caused the old guard to be gleefully treating themselves to an extra bag of humbugs, was nothing unexpected surely.

A pure facade, a decision made to show confidence and self belief, despite the extreme pressure and inevitable doubts, what else could you really expect?

[quote user="Vanwink"]It''s straw clutching and diversion. What was seen last night, and what has caused the old guard to be gleefully treating themselves to an extra bag of humbugs, was nothing unexpected surely.

A pure facade, a decision made to show confidence and self belief, despite the extreme pressure and inevitable doubts, what else could you really expect?[/quote]

No, its measured responses from a club that is well aware of the situation, they take the emotion out of it because they have to, present a united front and move on to the next game, dignity and composure intact.   What else could you expect? 

You can''t have it both ways.

It''s not right on the one to start bleating that people are harping on about the "season being thankfully is not over a calendar year, but Aug to May", then on the other grumbling that "we wuz robbed at Sunderland" (back in mid March.)

Which is it to be...are we looking at a short term matter, or over a longer period ?

My own personal take on this is to look long term. And, however you dress it up, whether you are Bowkett, Mc Nally, Hughton or, (a lot less importantly), Nigel, the form over the 11 months of 2013 is appalling.

Of course, the directors may be right, that we''ll redress the balance over December and win all our games in the month, thereby obtaining mid table mediocrity.

Alternatively, this may just be whistling in the dark.?

It''s all well and good looking back at last year and how we finished 11th. Whether that was down to Citeh and Brom being on "holiday" is frankly irrelevant at this present time. Those results have no relevance to where we are in the table this season.

I''m astounded by the boards attitude last night, it was boarding on arrogance. Yes it''s good to be positive but there''s positive and then there''s absolute blind foolishness which is closer to the mark. Did Bowket and McNally give any firm explanation as to how exactly we are going to be around mid table come the new year?

As for Hughton''s pathetic explanation for Saturday''s result, it just goes to back up what the majority of us already know. We have a manager who is unable to read the game and make astute tactical changes in good time to improve our game. If he is willing to publicly spout this piffle and stand by his decision then I really fear for our future as a Premiership team.  

The message from the board last night seems to be one of trust in Hughton and results will come. So whatever the result against Palace it loooks as if we will be stuck with Hughton for quite a while. That''s a brave but in my opinion very foolish decision.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]You can''t have it both ways.

It''s not right on the one to start bleating that people are harping on about the "season being thankfully is not over a calendar year, but Aug to May", then on the other grumbling that "we wuz robbed at Sunderland" (back in mid March.)

Which is it to be...are we looking at a short term matter, or over a longer period ?

My own personal take on this is to look long term. And, however you dress it up, whether you are Bowkett, Mc Nally, Hughton or, (a lot less importantly), Nigel, the form over the 11 months of 2013 is appalling.

Of course, the directors may be right, that we''ll redress the balance over December and win all our games in the month, thereby obtaining mid table mediocrity.

Alternatively, this may just be whistling in the dark.?[/quote]

But that is what it appears what some supporters want.   They ignore the good and only see the bad.   The win against West Ham.  Ooh that was so bad wasn''t it.    The win against Stoke? That hardly gets a mention.   The win against Southampton?    The much improved performance against Cardiff?   The ManCity result has been put in perspective by Spurs.  

The board are just doing what everyone else does - choosing their examples according to the message they want to put across.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Oh behave Lakey.

On another thread to have opined (quite correctly) that it''s results that matter..

Now you are saying the opposite.

Which is it to be ?[/quote]

Results.  Yes.   The results that put us one win away from 14th place in the league if results go in our favour.  

The choice of Sunderland from last year is very interesting. McNally is right we were robbed at their place. But I seem to recall that the game at FCR we were coasting at 2-0, conceded just before half time and then got absolutely battered in the second half with Sunderland hitting the bar and missing several excellent chances. So you could, if you wanted to, say we got lucky then and held onto the 3 points. Take all the "luck" out and instead of getting 4 points we may well have had just 3.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Did any shareholder call them out as liars there and then?[/quote]

Warren Bowkett and McNally said something foolish which may well come back to bite them on the @rse but you have called it a lie for some reason. Their current opinion that we will be fine and in  mid table mediocrity is not a lie now is it at this moment.

Piffle.......foolish,futile and nonsense so stop making things up.

The direct quotes are:

Bowkett: “We’ll be fine. We’ll be approaching the top half of the table by the end of the season.”

McNally:: “We’ll be enjoying midtable mediocrity very soon. Last year we finished in the place we deserved and we will do so again this year."

Leaving aside whether those predictions are a bit optimistic (if to be taken seriously at all) there are a far cry from just over a month ago.

Bowkett "The ambition of the football club – and Chris knows this – is continuous improvement. So 12th, 11th... What does that mean? It means a top-10 finish.”

In all fairness, Purple, you''ve got to cut these guys a little slack.

They are hardly going to tip up to an event as important and well-reported as the AGM and say "sorry folks, but it''s a season of struggle...in fact we''re nailed on for relegation. The manager has two games to save his job...." are they ?

If you like, they''ve almost got to put on a public persona of a happy clapper.

So , I really do not set much store by these kind of utterances at meetings.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I get fed up of writing this, but I''m not interested in the verbiage of Mc Nally, Bowkett, Hughton , Lakey or whoever. All I care about are results.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]You can''t have it both ways. It''s not right on the one to start bleating that people are harping on about the "season being thankfully is not over a calendar year, but Aug to May", then on the other grumbling that "we wuz robbed at Sunderland" (back in mid March.) Which is it to be...are we looking at a short term matter, or over a longer period ? My own personal take on this is to look long term. And, however you dress it up, whether you are Bowkett, Mc Nally, Hughton or, (a lot less importantly), Nigel, the form over the 11 months of 2013 is appalling. Of course, the directors may be right, that we''ll redress the balance over December and win all our games in the month, thereby obtaining mid table mediocrity. Alternatively, this may just be whistling in the dark.?[/quote]

That''s why it''s piffle Reggie. Because your personal take is to look long term picking and choosing a period to fit your agenda. McNally''s right. The football season is from August to May. Each season has different challenges. So to choose part of last season added to this season makes no sense. Long term would be all of last season and then this season or his record over the full 50 matches. The flippant remark about the games we wuz robbed was meant to be piffle. Just as teams being on the beach is piffle.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]In all fairness, Purple, you''ve got to cut these guys a little slack.

They are hardly going to tip up to an event as important and well-reported as the AGM and say "sorry folks, but it''s a season of struggle...in fact we''re nailed on for relegation. The manager has two games to save his job...." are they ?

If you like, they''ve almost got to put on a public persona of a happy clapper.

So , I really do not set much store by these kind of utterances at meetings.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I get fed up of writing this, but I''m not interested in the verbiage of Mc Nally, Bowkett, Hughton , Lakey or whoever. All I care about are results.[/quote]

Absolutely, Reggie. Which is why I have said I don''t take that much notice of what is said at these events (although sometimes what is not said can be significant).

That is also why I don''t think, unless you are really in the know inside Carrow Road, you can draw any conclusions at all about how safe or otherwise Hughton''s job is. This is a very unleaky board of directors that doesn''t talk to the media.

says more about our board than our fans bunch of pompous divs imo, cant see whats in front of their noses, support your manager by all means but dont treat the fans like morons. We got lucky last year, stevie wonder can see that, we have spent 25 mill and look a worse team for it, our away form is garbage and i cant see where the next away point is coming from, so lets hope we win a few at home then. I said i would give houghton ten games this year, thats when the leagues usually settle down, dont like what i am seeing.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Warren Hill"]Did any shareholder call them out as liars there and then?[/quote]

Warren Bowkett and McNally said something foolish which may well come back to bite them on the @rse but you have called it a lie for some reason. Their current opinion that we will be fine and in  mid table mediocrity is not a lie now is it at this moment.

Piffle.......foolish,futile and nonsense so stop making things up.

[/quote]

Ok, dress it up how you like, they weren''t lying, just piffling. Except Hughton. Is that better?

Did any shareholder pull them up on this piffling? Did anyone tell them that their suppositions were fooling nobody and that they were just saying that because they had to? Did anyone tell them that what they said was balderdash and made no sense?

Thank God they didn''t start Poppycocking.....

I think maybe because I''m just a simple bog cleaner it''s difficult to get across what actually happened last night. But at no point did the board mention how safe or not Hughton''s job was. The board have aims and plans for the future. Their number one aim is to remain in the PL. Not to remain in the PL with Hughton.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think maybe because I''m just a simple bog cleaner it''s difficult to get across what actually happened last night. But at no point did the board mention how safe or not Hughton''s job was. The board have aims and plans for the future. Their number one aim is to remain in the PL. Not to remain in the PL with Hughton.

[/quote]

So they are sacking him then..?

But what you are overlooking here, Nige, is that no one is going to make utterances re how cr@p the season has been, how we''re going to struggle at best, till May, and how the lmanager is close to the sack, are they ?

Come on, be honest. It''s hardly something that is going to get "a mention" ?

Essentially, these kind of bunfights are for the shareholders, and that''s why so much time ,proportionally, is spent on the accounts. Which are, incidentally one of the few bright spots around the club, at present. And why, as you so rightly say, the number one priority is to stay in the PL.

Absolutely.Last night was a charade played out for public consumption. Anyone that reads anything more into it is deluding themselves.

If it was not a charade and they do actually believe what was said then we really are in trouble.

At least the performance will give the likes of Lakey and Nutty some comfort.

I''m not overlooking anything. How many times have I got to say that the managers future wasn''t even mentioned. No where in the confident rally cries was having Hughton as manager included.

For me it comes down to trusting the board to do what''s right. If you don''t then Hughton is no longer the problem.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Absolutely.Last night was a charade played out for public consumption. Anyone that reads anything more into it is deluding themselves. If it was not a charade and they do actually believe what was said then we really are in trouble. At least the performance will give the likes of Lakey and Nutty some comfort.[/quote]

If you try and look at every comment from the board with an agenda of whether the manager is sacked or not you are either 12 or stupid.

Exactly the point I''m making Nigel. There was not a snowball in hell''s chance of Hughton ''s future being mentioned , one way or the other, last night by any board member.

Apart from that, I''m not really clear what your point is in this. Basically, most of us DO trust the board, but we have little choice but to do so right now !

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Exactly the point I''m making Nigel. There was not a snowball in hell''s chance of Hughton ''s future being mentioned , one way or the other, last night by any board member. Apart from that, I''m not really clear what your point is in this. Basically, most of us DO trust the board, but we have little choice but to do so right now ![/quote]

If that''s the case Reggie why do you manipulate facts to suit an agenda? It''s this tripe that McNally called piffle not concerns about the manager. If the board didn''t have concerns they wouldn''t be fit for purpose.

If you try and look at every comment from the board with an agenda of whether the manager is sacked or not you are either 12 or stupid.

That''s absolutely correct Nigel, but it is you that seems to be raising this?

[quote user="Vanwink"]Absolutely.Last night was a charade played out for public consumption. Anyone that reads anything more into it is deluding themselves. If it was not a charade and they do actually believe what was said then we really are in trouble. At least the performance will give the likes of Lakey and Nutty some comfort.[/quote]

I''m so confused.

The board spoke piffle and acted out a charade designed to mislead shareholders or, at best, masquerade their true feelings and yet NOBODY took them to task?

Oh I give up Nigel.

Yet again, I''ve tried to engage in a constructive , good natured discussion (of your choice) with you, and yet again you resort to the rather pathetic insults and name calling.

Just forget it......