Sign in to follow this  
Farmer Canary

Glenn Hoddle or Martin Jol

With so many of you coming up with various names of who you would want to see replace hughton if he was sacked, i have decided to name two of my own. If Martin Jol is to be sacked, which is looking rather likely then I feel he would be a good replacement and possibly would be a great mentor to both RVW and Leroy Fer. My number one choice though would be Glenn Hoddle, this guy is so highly rated still after all these years and ive heard lots of football pundits claiming he is probably a better manager nowadays than he ever was. Supposedly brilliant with youth and I feel he has a lot to prove having been out of management for a while, the one down side would probably be his wage demands which could be high!

Glenn Hoddle is a Tw@t!It just hasnt worked for Jol at Fulham though.. he knows the game inside out and i''d be happy with him.

I''m on similar lines to Jas, regarding Hoddle. It''s a ''No'' from me.

Jol? Not an upgrade on what we have. Also I can''t believe that''s the same person that used to run West Brom''s midfield all those years ago. he must have had a hard paper round in the meantime.

[quote user="Farmer Canary"]With so many of you coming up with various names of who you would want to see replace hughton if he was sacked, i have decided to name two of my own. If Martin Jol is to be sacked, which is looking rather likely then I feel he would be a good replacement and possibly would be a great mentor to both RVW and Leroy Fer. My number one choice though would be Glenn Hoddle, this guy is so highly rated still after all these years and ive heard lots of football pundits claiming he is probably a better manager nowadays than he ever was. Supposedly brilliant with youth and I feel he has a lot to prove having been out of management for a while, the one down side would probably be his wage demands which could be high![/quote]

Nice try binner

I''d be interested to see what Hoddle could do at a club now. He clearly really, really knows his football. Talks a lot of sense.

Probably the last good manager that England had too.

Let''s swap a defensive negative manager who plays 4-5-1 with an isolated striker with another defensive manager who plays 4-5-1 with an isolated striker.

Because clearly Jol can get that system spot on, which is why he finished below us last season and his team are currently in the relegation zone.

What a terrible suggestion. To think I got ridiculed for Warnock, at least he would have new ideas.

glenn hoddle would be a great choice, the reason he hasnt been given another top flight job was because of his "karma" comments in regards to disabilities and the fact the press would drag it all up again at the smallest opportunitywhich is a massive shame given theres people involved in the game which have done a hell of a lot worse

martin jol is pretty average, appointing a sacked manager whos club are in the same position as city would be a bit daft, hardly inspiring

phelans gagging for a new job, city is ideal for him

[quote user="iron_stan"]glenn hoddle would be a great choice, the reason he hasnt been given another top flight job was because of his "karma" comments in regards to disabilities and the fact the press would drag it all up again at the smallest opportunity

which is a massive shame given theres people involved in the game which have done a hell of a lot worse

martin jol is pretty average, appointing a sacked manager whos club are in the same position as city would be a bit daft, hardly inspiring

phelans gagging for a new job, city is ideal for him
[/quote]

As would I and no doubt the supporters in our Community Stand Stan, he caused a lot of grief to a vunerable section of Society with all that.

i cant even remember the full story tbh, one thing i do know is the press arent the most accurate nor reliable members of society and quite often have their own agenda, so i take most of what i read with a pinch of "might just be bull5h1t". Given what has been revealed about the activities of newspapers in this country in recent years i think anyone who doesnt question the papers is a bit naive. Its far from black and white

im not condoning it by any means, but when you consider theres people like marlon king, and MANY others in the game which have caused physical damage to others then hoddle is hardly the worst of them

I suggested Hoddle some weeks ago amongst others and took some stick......but, we could do a lot lot worse and just because he has not managed a club that recently should not exclude him. Should we need a new Manager at some time, then he would certainly be a relatively high risk choice, but yes, from what I have seen from his many pundit appearances over here, he is absolutely first class in respect of his knowledge for the game and in particularly when he talks tactics, really very impressive plus I would think he would know how to manage the types of players we now have in our squad. As for Jol, isnt he doing a really rubbish job at Fulham right now and with a better squad than we have.    

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I suggested Hoddle some weeks ago amongst others and took some stick......but, we could do a lot lot worse and just because he has not managed a club that recently should not exclude him. Should we need a new Manager at some time, then he would certainly be a relatively high risk choice, but yes, from what I have seen from his many pundit appearances over here, he is absolutely first class in respect of his knowledge for the game and in particularly when he talks tactics, really very impressive plus I would think he would know how to manage the types of players we now have in our squad. As for Jol, isnt he doing a really rubbish job at Fulham right now and with a better squad than we have.    [/quote]

Sorry Mark, he crossed a line with me that day with his heartless remarks on the disabled, there''s no forgiving that, sorry.

I thought Fulham had a dreadful attitude when they came to Norwich last season.    Talk about negative.....

I too think Hoddle still has something to offer a premiership team, but he has other commitments for now.   

[quote user="iron_stan"]i cant even remember the full story tbh, one thing i do know is the press arent the most accurate nor reliable members of society and quite often have their own agenda, so i take most of what i read with a pinch of "might just be bull5h1t". Given what has been revealed about the activities of newspapers in this country in recent years i think anyone who doesnt question the papers is a bit naive. Its far from black and white

im not condoning it by any means, but when you consider theres people like marlon king, and MANY others in the game which have caused physical damage to others then hoddle is hardly the worst of them[/quote]

Well thanks for that lecture.... perhaps I could be the one to inform you that he said it on TV, in an interview, broadcast to the nation.

This is from wikipedia,not the most reliable of sources, but sums it up and includes some balanced comments from some interesting people who''s opinions I feel most people would respect........(and some I certainly wouldnt, but let''s put the politician''s to one side),   

On 30 January 1999, with the England team preparing for Euro 2000, and amidst the fall-out from the previous season''s World Cup, Hoddle gave an interview to Matt Dickinson of The Times newspaper in an attempt to defend himself against his critics (over issues such as Eileen Drewery and his faith[13]) and show a strong front for the remainder of the qualifiers.

Dickinson''s interview revealed that Hoddle had a "controversial belief that the disabled, and others, are being punished for sins in a former life."[12] Hoddle''s comments were criticised by several politicians including Sports Minister Tony Banks and Prime Minister Tony Blair.[14] Public opinion, based upon the immediate media furore resulted in (according to one BBC poll) 90% of respondents believing Hoddle should not continue as English manager.[15] However, the BBC survey showed that while many considered his comments insensitive to disabled people, others defended his right to express his religious beliefs by claiming that to sack him would constitute religious discrimination.[16]

Hoddle stated that he was not prepared to resign and claimed his words were misinterpreted and pointed out his contributions and commitment to organisations helping disabled people.[17][18] The Football Association terminated Hoddle''s contract on 2 February 1999,[19] which was welcomed by representatives of disabled groups.[20] The disabled rights campaigner Lord Ashley however, while criticising Hoddle''s views, defended his right to express them, likening the campaign against Hoddle to a "witchhunt" and considered Hoddle''s dismissal "a sad day for British tolerance and freedom of speech"[20][21] a view which was shared by the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail[22] and in several foreign newspapers.[16][23] Some writers considered the remarks were used as a pretext to get rid of him.[24] Hoddle apologised for the offence that had been caused, stating it had never been his intention[19] and continued to fundraise for disabled groups after being dismissed.[25] Much later criticism was made of Hoddle''s dismissal on the grounds that he had been forced out for non-footballing reasons.[26]

Simon Weston, the Falklands war veteran, also referred to Hoddle''s dismissal as a witchhunt and many people believed that the Football Association had simply caved in to Press pressure

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

This is from wikipedia,not the most reliable of sources, but sums it up and includes some balanced comments from some interesting people who''s opinions I feel most people would respect........(and some I certainly wouldnt, but let''s put the politician''s to one side),   

On 30 January 1999, with the England team preparing for Euro 2000, and amidst the fall-out from the previous season''s World Cup, Hoddle gave an interview to Matt Dickinson of The Times newspaper in an attempt to defend himself against his critics (over issues such as Eileen Drewery and his faith[13]) and show a strong front for the remainder of the qualifiers.

Dickinson''s interview revealed that Hoddle had a "controversial belief that the disabled, and others, are being punished for sins in a former life."[12] Hoddle''s comments were criticised by several politicians including Sports Minister Tony Banks and Prime Minister Tony Blair.[14] Public opinion, based upon the immediate media furore resulted in (according to one BBC poll) 90% of respondents believing Hoddle should not continue as English manager.[15] However, the BBC survey showed that while many considered his comments insensitive to disabled people, others defended his right to express his religious beliefs by claiming that to sack him would constitute religious discrimination.[16]

Hoddle stated that he was not prepared to resign and claimed his words were misinterpreted and pointed out his contributions and commitment to organisations helping disabled people.[17][18] The Football Association terminated Hoddle''s contract on 2 February 1999,[19] which was welcomed by representatives of disabled groups.[20] The disabled rights campaigner Lord Ashley however, while criticising Hoddle''s views, defended his right to express them, likening the campaign against Hoddle to a "witchhunt" and considered Hoddle''s dismissal "a sad day for British tolerance and freedom of speech"[20][21] a view which was shared by the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail[22] and in several foreign newspapers.[16][23] Some writers considered the remarks were used as a pretext to get rid of him.[24] Hoddle apologised for the offence that had been caused, stating it had never been his intention[19] and continued to fundraise for disabled groups after being dismissed.[25] Much later criticism was made of Hoddle''s dismissal on the grounds that he had been forced out for non-footballing reasons.[26]

Simon Weston, the Falklands war veteran, also referred to Hoddle''s dismissal as a witchhunt and many people believed that the Football Association had simply caved in to Press pressure

[/quote]

Cuts no ice with me Mark, imagine if his warped beliefs included gays or black people too, no one would even be discussing this.

But hey, its only a few cripples so who cares?

[quote user="Wiz"]

Cuts no ice with me Mark, imagine if his warped beliefs included gays or black people too, no one would even be discussing this.

But hey, its only a few cripples so who cares?

[/quote]What about cripples who are gay and/or black?

Martin Jol? He''s not doing wonders at Fulham so what on earth makes you think he will be any better than Hughton? Replacing a bad performing manager with another bad performing manager is counter productive.

Hoddle is a grade A tw@t but that aside I think he is a bloody good manager and if it comes to it could keep us up. Listening to his punditry he clearly knows the game even ten years out of management. I doubt very much Hoddle will manage again because of his stupid karma comments.

[quote user="Brightside"]Martin Jol? He''s not doing wonders at Fulham so what on earth makes you think he will be any better than Hughton? Replacing a bad performing manager with another bad performing manager is counter productive.

Hoddle is a grade A tw@t but that aside I think he is a bloody good manager and if it comes to it could keep us up. Listening to his punditry he clearly knows the game even ten years out of management. I doubt very much Hoddle will manage again because of his stupid karma comments.[/quote]

Are you forgetting the 3 clubs he has managed since he made those comments?   He made a mistake, he paid for it with his job.  Get over it and leave it in 1999.   I think hes a great shout.  Has a decent record wherever he has been and clearly knows his onions.

Martin Jol - No.

Hoddle = Marquee signing for NCFC.

Big in the Game.

Not ''Little ''Ol Norwich'' for a while.

He knows his football and we are a football club.

I can easily forget the other nonsense if we manage to really become established at the top level. I think GH capable of achieving this.

Jol I like as a manager, and I think he can and will do much better at his next club than he has at Fulham who are just a strange team all round and have been for a while. But I agree he is no upgrade on CH and wouldnt be worth replacing him.

Hoddle, besides his disgusting and indefensible comments towards the disabled, had some ridiculous ''managerial techniques'' - Remember the faith healer stupidity? Can you imagine Pilks, Snodgrass, Benno sitting in the treatment room expecting to actually get treated by a professional and Hoddle sends in some witch doctor? Not something we want anywhere near our club IMHO.

Add to that the fact that the last two jobs Hoddle has had - now the best part of a decade ago - resulted in him leading a decent Spurs team to absolute mediocrity, and failing to get a Wolves side who should have been automatic promotion contenders even into the playoffs... I really don''t see what he would bring to the club. Given his academy work, then as a coach, perhaps he''s got plenty to offer - but as manager? no thanks.

[quote user="iron_stan"]glenn hoddle would be a great choice, the reason he hasnt been given another top flight job was because of his "karma" comments in regards to disabilities and the fact the press would drag it all up again at the smallest opportunitywhich is a massive shame given theres people involved in the game which have done a hell of a lot worse

phelans gagging for a new job, city is ideal for him[/quote]Err... except he managed Southampton, Spurs and Wolves after that (with little success), and hasn''t had a proper job in football for 8 years

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Hoddle = Marquee signing for NCFC.

Big in the Game.

Not ''Little ''Ol Norwich'' for a while.

He knows his football and we are a football club.

I can easily forget the other nonsense if we manage to really become established at the top level. I think GH capable of achieving this.[/quote]''Marquee signing'' - do me a favour!If we sacked Hughton tomorrow he''d be in far greater demand as a coach or manager than Hoddle - FACT