Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Things you've done to watch a City game

Let me take you back to Feb 19th 1983 City v Ipswich in F.A.Cup. Game clashed with my sister''s wedding so............

2pm - Lowestoft Registry Office - 2:45 taxi to Carrow Road, got in in time to see Keith Bertchin''s third lap of honour after scoring the only goal, left a few minutes before the end - 5pm arrived at Bungay Three Tuns in time for Wedding Reception. Job done.

Anybody beat that ?

I''ve travelled some long distances, but nothing like skipping the boring part of a wedding!  I was actually a Best Man at a wedding in Swansea the day we played our first match against them at the then new Liberty Stadium, but couldn''t really get out of that one as it was a 3pm wedding!More recently, for the Villa home game with the early kick-off, I managed to work my flights back from our North Carolina office to arrive into Heathrow with just enough time to dash to Colchester to get on a train to the Fine City in time for kick-off.

1st Feb 2012

I contrived a meeting in Newcastle driving up from Southampton 650 mile round trip.

Went to visit a friend in Darlington, as I was about to set off for the SOL found that both my rear light bulbs had blown, managed to get them done at Halfords just before they closed.

Raced off towards Sunderland missed my turning off the A19 turning too late I hit a kerb smashing my wheel (very expensive) had to put the half width tyre on in the middle of the overpass (very dangerous) then drive (at max 50 mph) the remaining 50 miles.

By the time i arrived we were already 2-0 down.

Not a great day.

When we played Leeds at home in League 1 I raced back from Heathrow airport after a week in New York. Left the States at about half 2 US time, (if i remember correctly) on the saturday morning  and made it to Carrow Road just as the game was kicking off.

1993 - missed the Club coaches down to Dover for our first European game (at Vitesse Arnhem) Drove from Norwich to Dover in 2 hours 15 mins (Sorry Kathy, but at least we got there!)

The Coach drivers face was a picture, at Dover, when I knocked on his door and told him I was supposed to have boarded this in Norwich.

5th Jan 1985 away to Birmingham City FA Cup 3rd round.

Spur of the moment decision on an icy, foggy morning to drive to Birmingham in my Opel Manta which I knew to be firing intermittently on 3 cylinders.

Cost me a fortune in petrol and a late night home.

Match went to 3 further replays.

My little girl was born 21/1/12 the day city played Chelsea. The game was a 1230 ko and nobody wanted my season ticket.

Little un was born at 545am, I was at Carrow rd by 1230. She said yes with a little help from gas and air.

The final score. 0-0!

Stand in a queue that ended past the river bridge and around the corner and missed school to get tickets for the semi final league cup clash with Chelsea at home that ended early due to fog !