Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

How poor has it been this season - really?

Everton - an entertaining game against a very good team and a creditable drawHull -  a poor performance against an unknown quantity Tottenham - missed this game, but wasn''t it a better performance than Hull?Southampton - a win against a very strong team on formVilla - a narrow loss, not great, but could easily have won itStoke -  any complaints at an away win?Chelsea -  A difficult match by any standards.  Arsenal away - again a top team in formCardiff - a much improved attacking performance. Not too many complaints, a bit of luck needed.ManCity - a big loss, but put into perspective by Spurs losing there by 6 alsoWest Ham - a good response by everyone in the second half.Newcastle - narrow loss, not great maybe, but stayed in the match.

Imo - One really poor performance - HullThree uninspiring matches - Tott, Villa, Newcastle.Three very difficult matches - Chelsea MC and ArsnlFive good performances -  Southampton, Everton, Stoke, Cardiff,  West Ham (are you telling me the second half and result weren''t good?)

So, taking into consideration all factors, has it really been so poor?

I can see your point LDC and perhaps could subscribe to it, but...  

This season we have spent alot of money investing in the team and on paper arguably have the strongest team we have ever had. This season has been poor because after 12 games we are yet to see this transfered onto the pitch. Yes we have had injuries but this is why we have a sqaud. IMO the sqaud has not been used to it''s strengths. Hughton appears to just stick by what is safe and seems to be affraid of looking at all possibilities. Bechio for example will not be used by Hughton because he believes that what we have is already good enough. Just how many goals have our other strikers scored??

There have been so many occasions where we not only could have but should have got a result. This season has been poor because we have not got the results we should have in several games. The  Hull, Villa,  Cardiff, Newcastle games are all games where we should have got a better result. Come the end of the season it''s games like these that will be looked back on as examples where we should have done better to avoid relegation.

So far our season has been poor because we have not lived up to our potential. I don''t expect us to win every game and be anywhere near the top six but it really frustrates me when we willingly throw away opportunities due to poor managerial decisions.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Everton - an entertaining game against a very good team and a creditable draw
Hull -  a poor performance against an unknown quantity
Tottenham - missed this game, but wasn''t it a better performance than Hull?
Southampton - a win against a very strong team on form
Villa - a narrow loss, not great, but could easily have won it
Stoke -  any complaints at an away win?
Chelsea -  A difficult match by any standards. 
Arsenal away - again a top team in form
Cardiff - a much improved attacking performance. Not too many complaints, a bit of luck needed.
ManCity - a big loss, but put into perspective by Spurs losing there by 6 also
West Ham - a good response by everyone in the second half.
Newcastle - narrow loss, not great maybe, but stayed in the match.

Imo -
One really poor performance - Hull
Three uninspiring matches - Tott, Villa, Newcastle.
Three very difficult matches - Chelsea MC and Arsnl
Five good performances -  Southampton, Everton, Stoke, Cardiff,  West Ham (are you telling me the second half and result weren''t good?)

[/quote]

13 wins out of 50 games, shove that up your fu*cking a.rse Lakey.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Everton - an entertaining game against a very good team and a creditable drawHull -  a poor performance against an unknown quantity Tottenham - missed this game, but wasn''t it a better performance than Hull?Southampton - a win against a very strong team on formVilla - a narrow loss, not great, but could easily have won itStoke -  any complaints at an away win?Chelsea -  A difficult match by any standards.  Arsenal away - again a top team in formCardiff - a much improved attacking performance. Not too many complaints, a bit of luck needed.ManCity - a big loss, but put into perspective by Spurs losing there by 6 alsoWest Ham - a good response by everyone in the second half.Newcastle - narrow loss, not great maybe, but stayed in the match.

Imo - One really poor performance - HullThree uninspiring matches - Tott, Villa, Newcastle.Three very difficult matches - Chelsea MC and ArsnlFive good performances -  Southampton, Everton, Stoke, Cardiff,  West Ham (are you telling me the second half and result weren''t good?)

[/quote]

McNally provided the answer to your question last night. The games he quoted as ones where supposedly we were unlucky were both from last season. He didn''t use one example from this season.

---

PS. Am I the only one having problems with the quote function?

It''s been as poor\boring as reading one of your posts, yawnnnnnn, btw I didn''t read anything but the title as your boring boring boring. Go for a wander round windermere and WAKE THE F*CK UP!! Your the kind of person who''s misses would come home and say " John I''ve been sleeping with all six of our neighbours"..... "oh have you darling, but they are nice people so I forgive you dear, do u want me to lick your chuff now dear" "oh ok john of you don''t mind" "of course I don''t dearest" BORK!!!!!

It has been disappointing because of the failure to reproduce our best form, - fluid, quick passing  movement and passing, in each match and in the whole of each match. We should, with a little luck, have won one or two more, but we didn''t, and Spurs let us off lightly.

There have been a series of injuries. Did I read that Turner is the only (outfield) player to have played in every league game? This certainly causes problems, but they all train together and should be learning each other''s games.

For me, the main disappointment has been our finishing. The two main strikers and also Elmander have missed so many chances, or have hit straight at the keeper. Unless we can reverse this, however well we play in the outfield we are not going to win many games.

LDC- I like the approach and not an unreasonable way to look at things. I have added some thoughts and given a mark out of 10 for each game, we''ll obviously have some differences on those but I have tried to be fair. I have also assumed that 5s and 6s would get you just enough points to survive. On this basis we are at an average of 4.8 which is below par but not by much. It suggests that we are capable of doing OK, and I know we disagree about the manager so no point in raking coals on that here, but continuing this form and we will be in big trouble at the end of the season. It is noticeable that we have had very few inspiring performances.

Everton - an entertaining game against a very good team and a creditable draw. Agreed. 7

Hull - a poor performance against an unknown quantity. Agreed, exacerbated as they were down to 10 men. 3

Tottenham - missed this game, but wasn''t it a better performance than Hull? I don''t think so, a colleague who has an ST at Spurs said we were very poor and never in the game. 3

Southampton - a win against a very strong team on form. Agreed though we were a bit lucky Lallana hit the post and Johnson didn''t concede a pen. 6

Villa - a narrow loss, not great, but could easily have won it. Not sure we could have, looked toothless to me. Villa far more dangerous. 4

Stoke - any complaints at an away win? No, although we allowed Stoke to come onto to us a bit more in the second half. 7

Chelsea - A difficult match by any standards. Agreed, but we did well for 20 minutes in second half but gave them too much space and time. 5

Arsenal away - again a top team in form. Agreed, too stand offish but again we did OK for a short spell before Howson''s goal. 5

Cardiff - a much improved attacking performance. Not too many complaints, a bit of luck needed. Agreed, but we should have won so marked down as this is the sort of game we must win. 6

ManCity - a big loss, but put into perspective by Spurs losing there by 6 also. Yes, but Spurs made us look rubbish too. There can be no excuses for a 0-7. 1 (as it wasn''t double figures)

West Ham - a good response by everyone in the second half. Difficult one, I give 6 as we were inept before the penalty but the result was terrific.

Newcastle - narrow loss, not great maybe, but stayed in the match. Agreed largely, but we were poor for much of the game. 4

[quote user="Paris Lees Missing Tackle"]It''s been as poor\boring as reading one of your posts, yawnnnnnn, btw I didn''t read anything but the title as your boring boring boring. Go for a wander round windermere and WAKE THE F*CK UP!! Your the kind of person who''s misses would come home and say " John I''ve been sleeping with all six of our neighbours"..... "oh have you darling, but they are nice people so I forgive you dear, do u want me to lick your chuff now dear" "oh ok john of you don''t mind" "of course I don''t dearest" BORK!!!!![/quote]

Well my trolling friend,  if you didn''t read the post, then you won''t have seen that on balance there has been some good, some not so good and some bad this season.   So on balance,  things are not as black as you and your foul mouthed friend are making out.

OMG you racist, what has the colour of my skin got to do with this debate??? I''m disgusted just because I''m off afro-carribean decent, you feel you can use that as a stick to hit me with. This is new depths even for you!!!!

LDC is on a wind up. Has to be. Either that or something illegal...

You remind me of a poster on here a few years back called the Marshmallow Man. Posts full of uber-positive bullsh*t when everybody else can clearly see we are struggling. You may even be the same guy. All I know is you are either an attention seeker or just have no idea about our current situation, as to suggest this season hasn''t been poor is quite the piss-take. It is beyond poor, it is embarrassing. I''ve never supported a Norwich side with such good potential but so weak on the pitch, toothless in away games and not much better at home. Going into every away game knowing we''ve already lost is hardly ideal. And I wouldn''t bet against Ipswich''s 9-0 record going before the end of the season...

I have to be honest, Alex, and increasingly, I have begun to wonder much the same thing, but until you raised it, been too polite to suggest such.

I have , at times thought that the Happy Clappers have fooled us and we are all victims of some huge practical joke. I must say that , if so, they are very good at it. A good example being the "facts" they dress up and the negatives they thus turn into positives .

Perhaps we''ve finally rumbled them ?

Maybe I don''t make myself clear, or maybe people only read into things what they want to read into them.  I never said we were brilliant.  I have repeatedly said we need to improve and Hughton needs to improve.   We have been poor on several occasions either through lack of confidence or bad tactics or injuries or a mixture of those  things.   I am not uber positive.    I simply try to see things as they are without having them dressed up in some egotistical "In" or "Out",  black or white scenario.   If we were bottom and cut off from the rest  I would be calling for change.  But we are not. 

Now off out but I will be back about 3pm when this should be on page 4 with 10 more posts from LDC. [;)]

It''s your final two sentences that I have the real trouble with Lakey.

Please explain to me the logic of waiting till we are cut adrift at the bottom, and all hope is lost before considering a rethink .

To my mind, the time for reappraisal is when the writing is on the wall. Or to use another cliché/ similie, nip the problem in the bud, before it gets out of hand.

If you are driving your car and see a 6 metre pothole approaching, don''t you change direction to avoid it, rather than heading into it and having to repair the broken axle later ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Now off out but I will be back about 3pm when this should be on page 4 with 10 more posts from LDC. [;)][/quote]

Yes, I''ll continue to discuss things with people, especially when points are made towards or about me.  Now I think that is what a message board is for........

I agree lakey dont think its been that bad overall.

Give hoots until xmas, if things are no better with the run of games we have then he has to go I think.

Lets not forget hes been without one of his strikers most of the season ie hooper at the start then just as he come back Ricky is out, the add in all the other injuries tettey, snoddy, Bennett, pilks several times, bassong and then bassong s loss of form.

We don''t have a squad yet that can take that level of injuries

Great idea Clarkey...

Fire the manager during the first week of the New Year. Then spend about 2 weeks recruiting a replacement.

And leave the new boss about 3 days before the transfer window shuts to assemble his own team.

Genius.

My take (for what it''s worth)

Everton - missed this one due to illness, so can''t really comment.  decent result though.
Hull - looked very short of ideas, especially once Hull had the man sent off and set up the barracades.
Tottenham - didn''t get into the game at all.  outplayed by a better team, but the lack of fight and co-ordination was notable.
Southampton - poor game where we sneaked a win.  not a great performance, but at least looked organised.
Villa - bright points but overall another directionless performance.  didn''t deserve anything from the game, really.
Stoke - the other game i''ve missed this season - by all accounts our best performance and an excellent result.
Chelsea - bit slow out of the blocks against a very good side.  really took the game to them in the 2nd half and on another day would''ve grabbed a point.
Arsenal away - i thought this was another very average performance - not as bad as spurs, but we certainly didn''t deserve a point as some have suggested.  beaten by the better team, and that''s fair enough.
Cardiff - much more attacking but again lacking co-ordination and any real sense of direction in the final 3rd.  unlucky not to get 3 points despite that.
ManCity - dreadful, fight-less performance.  heads went down at 1-0, final scoreline was no surprise.
West Ham - even worse than the man city performance in the first half, used the momentum gained by the penalty well to over-run the hammers.
Newcastle - pretty much the same as the west ham game, except we never really got that momentum until 80 minutes in.

has this season been poor so far?  i''d say yes.  though i missed two of our better displays (Everton/Stoke) the only time i think i''ve seen us look like a committed, co-ordinated TEAM is the second half against Chelsea (though even then our approach might be considered naive) and the second half against West Ham.  Even the Cardiff game, where we dominated midfield showed a lack of organisation/chemistry/*call it what you will* between our attackers.  That added to a heads-down attitude after falling behind in some games (Man City, Spurs, Newcastle) means that we''ve been set up to fail in the majority of games.

Seems to me that we need a spark to ignite our season - the goals against Chelsea, West Ham and (less so) Newcastle brought about a sudden and genuine sense of belief in the players that anyone in the ground could see... but in all of those games the goals came once we were already behind.  We need that spark to be there from the first minute of every match, in every training session, at every press conference - to build positivity, belief and momentum around the club as a whole.  That is a big part of the manager''s job.  Not to turn this into another Hughton in/out thread, but i personally wonder if CH is capable of engendering the spirit that we seem to be lacking.  I hope he is, as i''m sure once that spark arrives everything else will fall into place tactically, and results-wise.

I remember coming out of the Barclay after the West Ham game and wanting to believe that the half-time turnaround in that game would be the turning point in our season.  On the evidence of Newcastle, it seems that I was jumping the gun, and we''re back to square one.  The current injury ''crisis'' couldn''t have come at a worse time. 

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Everton - an entertaining game against a very good team and a creditable drawHull -  a poor performance against an unknown quantity Tottenham - missed this game, but wasn''t it a better performance than Hull?Southampton - a win against a very strong team on formVilla - a narrow loss, not great, but could easily have won itStoke -  any complaints at an away win?Chelsea -  A difficult match by any standards.  Arsenal away - again a top team in formCardiff - a much improved attacking performance. Not too many complaints, a bit of luck needed.ManCity - a big loss, but put into perspective by Spurs losing there by 6 alsoWest Ham - a good response by everyone in the second half.Newcastle - narrow loss, not great maybe, but stayed in the match.

[/quote]

13 wins out of 50 games, shove that up your fu*cking a.rse Lakey.

[/quote]Post of the Year! [:D]

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]LDC is on a wind up. Has to be. Either that or something illegal... You remind me of a poster on here a few years back called the Marshmallow Man. Posts full of uber-positive bullsh*t when everybody else can clearly see we are struggling. You may even be the same guy. All I know is you are either an attention seeker or just have no idea about our current situation, as to suggest this season hasn''t been poor is quite the piss-take. It is beyond poor, it is embarrassing. I''ve never supported a Norwich side with such good potential but so weak on the pitch, toothless in away games and not much better at home. Going into every away game knowing we''ve already lost is hardly ideal. And I wouldn''t bet against Ipswich''s 9-0 record going before the end of the season...[/quote]

Alex.. I find it exremely interesting that your spells posting coincide with difficult times for the club. I do have to wonder if it is in fact you on the wind? How important is that 9-0 being beaten......

I''d rate our season so far as 4 out of 10. Poor but it could indeed be worse, I do believe if we carry on in this vein, we''ll be relegated.

There is usually around 8 teams doing rubbish at this stage, we were one of them last season too.

What you tend to find is that half of them manage a good run at some point and pull away before more rubbish, but the points accrued in that time keep them comfortably away. The rest don''t improve and get involved in the dog fight at the end of the season at which point most of them get relegated.

6 points minimum needed before the end of the year for me.

Yes, 4/10 for me too Jim.

In fairness, at this stage last term we were not doing rubbish. We were in a 10 match unbeaten run. Which was clearly going to come to an end at some stage.

What none of us bargained for is that , when it did finish, we''d go on such a poor run, with only a rather lucky win v Everton and another v a relegated Reading to show for our efforts. I guess that''s what most of the realistic fans find so galling. Of course we accept that there will be good spells and poor spells. The problem this season is that there has been no good spell, and that''s one third of the season gone. The fact that all home games are now being presented as "must win" affairs is testament to how desperate the situation is becoming.

The optimists will no doubt say that the good run is just around the corner, and, hey, they may be right, but some of us need a little more convincing than by a jam tomorrow promise.

A statistician writes:

We are currently picking up 0.916 points per game. If that continues we will finish on 35 points (a rounded up figure) and probably be relegated.

To reach the supposed safety mark of 40 points we will need to improve to 1.115 points per game. Very similar to our overall figure last season of 1.15 points per game.

What we need to do is improve our points per game now to a bit over 1.0, so that - say - we gain nine points by the end of December. That would make it feasible to get to 40 points, because we would only need then to keep up that recent form.

But if we carry on as we are until the end of December then it will require an unlikely improvement over the last 19 games to reach safety.

I probably should stop coming on here (it only makes me angry)

Yes of course this season has been really poor , I have seen every game and would say that I cannot accept that we have had what I would consider a good game all season.

Everton/Stoke/Southampton being the only games I could even class as acceptable, even in these games we created very little and hot to rely on some very lucky long range finishing to get the points.

I honestly cannot recall a clear cut chance being created and spurned by anyone, many 30 yd hit and hopes (they really don''t keep you up)

Hull and Cardiff were the particular low points for me games we should have got more from but again we didn''t have a clue once we crossed the halfway line.

Villa and Newcastle we defended poorly but could have got something out of both games if we could actually create a chance.

Spurs, Man City We just didn''t turn up full stop.

The Chelsea and Arsenal game we actually passed the ball well and looked good (until we got into the final 3rd of the pitch) and the question has to be asked which particular gear were they in when they eventually swept us aside ?

The West Ham game proved nothing they could easily have been out of sight by the time we got our lucky break.

Hughton clearly has no idea how to actually utilise a striker and relies on all our goals to be scored from long range by midfielders, I can accept it may take time to get the players to link up and I can also accept that things can go wrong when you try new things. What I cant accept is the fact that this was the case at the beginning of last season and I have seen no sign whatsoever of anyone trying to address this clear floor in our team play.

If in fact over 16 months the situation has only got worse despite investing 25M on players why would anyone think he can turn this around.

The thing that makes it so much worse is the fact I am certain we have the players we just have a manager without a clue as to how to use them.