Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Mike Phelan ?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Parasitic journalism.  No substance, repeating what they have seen on twatter or even on here. 

That said, he may or may not be a good manager.  It would be a gamble.   

[/quote]

Any new manager would be a gamble. IMO its a gamble we should take, if what he says about managing manure for the last couple of years, we could do worse

[quote user="Vanwink"]Any change is a gamble LDC.

Your beginning to sound like a Luddite![/quote]

Any change would be a gamble, agreed, but would the board take an untried assistant manager - shades of Peter Grant maybe?

[quote user="yoda"]The question is can he do any worse ?[/quote]

Why don''t you tell us that if your supposed to be a Jedi master?

The answer you seek is No - he couldn''t do any worse. The force is strong with this one!

Herman wrote the following post at 27/11/2013 8:29 PM:

How many games would you give him?

How many games would you give Hughton Herman ?

Got to say I am warming up to the idea of Phelan. Ask me again after this Saturday...

He''s probably seen it all, but could he DO it himself ? Has he ever expressed any wish to manage his own club? Some people prefer to be influential followers.

He has a good past relationship with us, and is in the Hall of Fame. 

One thing that is often overlooked - he will be very well connected, this could open up many doors for getting in other players and coaches and staff, who may want to play / work with him.

We could do a whole lot worse.

[quote user="Feed the Wolf"][quote user="yoda"]The question is can he do any worse ?[/quote] Why don''t you tell us that if your supposed to be a Jedi master? The answer you seek is No - he couldn''t do any worse. The force is strong with this one![/quote]

I do remember when Peter Grant could do no worse than Worthy. It didn''t take long...

Depends on results Herman!

Don''t want us to be the sort of club that knee jerks and replaces managers, as you know the current situation is far from that.

Not you again...I thought I could smell the pungent aroma of BS. Now who is being negative? I guess you are going to tell us all about how long you have been around to see it all. Yawn!

Well.. last season we finished 11th in the prem. Our highest finish for 20 years. How confident are you on a scale of 1/10 that he couldn''t do worse?

As others have said it would all be a gamble...but for me, sticking with CH is a bigger gamble. Last season is a long way off now. CH had a good spell at NU but they could see where it was heading...it wasn''t going to last. He did well for a time last year but the final two results masked things. Anyone who didn''t think Man City were on the beach...well look at what happened this year.

A long way off is in fact 12 games. And at this 12 game point we are 4 points from 10th and bettering last season''s finish. So how is appointing someone with zero managerial experience less of a gamble than keeping the one who is already here and doing it?

Oh and I''d love Phelan at the club again but I''ll warn you Mike Phelan is one of the nicest guys you''ll ever meet. If you think Hughton''s nice....

So how confident are you that we will equal last year''s position? I have made my opinion known and said I would admit if I were wrong at the end of the season...and from giving my opinion in an earlier post you intimated the wolf was "a chicken". How about if you''re wrong and things don''t turn out...sorry, I forgot, you just accept it. Wow, that''s pretty intimidating behaviour.

So much anger.. no wonder the little pigs were scared.

I think we''ll finish around mid-table and will continue to do so until we are finally relegated. I am not confident that we''ll do so if we sack the manager. Those words "anyone would be better" and "couldn''t do worse" haunt me. I heard them so much during Worthy''s later years but it took until Lambert to get one better. That''s why I see it as more of a gamble to change.

When a club is relegated from the Premier League it''s rarely the manager that''s the real cause. For these clubs, like Wolves, changing the manager just makes things worse. From where I am now I think it''s much safer to hold our nerve. But even that is a gamble.

Appointing Phelan would be a case of HOPING things would get better. I can''t see where he has done anything to suggest he would be an improvement.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think we''ll finish around mid-table and will continue to do so until we are finally relegated. I am not confident that we''ll do so if we sack the manager. Those words "anyone would be better" and "couldn''t do worse" haunt me. I heard them so much during Worthy''s later years but it took until Lambert to get one better. That''s why I see it as more of a gamble to change. When a club is relegated from the Premier League it''s rarely the manager that''s the real cause. For these clubs, like Wolves, changing the manager just makes things worse. From where I am now I think it''s much safer to hold our nerve. But even that is a gamble. [/quote]

Couldn''t agree more with the above post.  Once you get on that treadmill where the team, the supporters, the board lose their nerve, then the downward spiral is almost inevitable.   Football goes in cycles.   We will almost certainly be relegated again at some stage, whether its this year, five years or ten years.     What we do have in our favour at the moment is a strong board and financial well being.   We also have some good players - and, I believe, a manager who can grow and learn alongside his team in developing the football club.   What is at risk is the good work done in getting us to this point in time where things are not looking as good as we would all like.   But the facts remain - we are still only one good result away from safer ground, we are not in the bottom three, we have had a lot of injuries and there have been signs of improvements in some games.  

Holding the nerve is key.   If Hughton and the players can get through this difficult spell by holding their nerve and pulling together, they will be stronger for it - and will make for a much better rest of the season.   Its all speculation, I know, but as Nutty says, the  gamble on an unknown quantity is quite likely to be the worse gamble than sticking with what we''ve got.    That is why I am still for Hughton staying.   Some of you think he is not capable of developing the team or indeed capable of learning and developing his performance as manager.   But part of anything worthwhile is working through the harder times, learning about yourself and what you are capable of - and trying to improve what you do and the way you do it.  I trust he is in that process right now and he will get it right sometimes and wrong at others.    But you can only learn by experience and the learning experience in the premier league is the most pressurised place to do it.   So I say cut him a little slack.   Give credit where credit is due and criticise where criticism is due, but most of all get behind him and the team.   The alternative is the club spiralling downward in a sea of negativity as we have seen in the past.   Norwich fans are fantastic.   We are one of the friendliest clubs around and probably the most patient fans.   But sometimes we  fans spoil it with this kind of nonsense of trying to hound out a manager still trying to get his team fit and playing how he wants them to.  

We all know its not working as well as it could.  But nerve is the key.   If some fans can''t hold their nerve - and I admit it was hard to after the two Manchester matches - then it is up to the team the manager and the board to hold theirs and see us through this situation in the best way - on the field - without the lottery and upheaval of starting again with someone else at the helm.   After all, if a new manager had a poor start, how long would it take for the vultures to start circling again..............and that is the story of our club since Worthy.  Down and down and down, finances up the creek, managers unable to stop the rot, fans calling for everybody''s head and before you know it you''re in that downward spiral that the club can''t get out of. 

Be careful what you wish for.

Haven''t we already tried the Mike Phelan route back in the 90s? He''d be about as successful as long term no. 2 Brian Kidd when he moved to Blackburn Rovers as manager outright! He didn''t last long.

No no no no no did you lot not learn anything from the Gunn debacle? He''s blowing his own trumpet and you lot are dancing to the tune. And if by some horrible mistake he did replace Hoots then I will remind Wheeze of Lowestoft of that post in 6 months time with great gusto over and over again. Better the devil you know.