Sign in to follow this  
Who are ya?

Is hughton the problem or is the premier league just boring?

Maybe the Premier League is reaching a point where it won''t need to exist for the top clubs, the new deal for the Champions League TV that BT have signed will see them get even more of the money available, it could lead to a European Super League being set up. In rugby union there''s an interesting case developing where the top clubs have threatened to join a break away competition from the Heineken Cup, with more TV companies (BT, Sky, Al Jazera etc.) trying to get football on their platforms a breakaway football league of Europes top clubs isn''t such a fanciful idea, where would that leave us, some people might argue that we''d be in a more competitive league which might lead to more exciting football.

I think any league where you are not competitive is dreadfully tedious with 2005 being the absolute classic case. If we had stayed up and been served more of the same the following season I would have lost the will to live ((let alone the will to purchase a season ticket)

I don''t think it has to be that way, you need a motivated and focused team punching above its weight and never accepting when its beaten.

Sadly Mr Chris seems to have far too much respect for every other team in the league that the players don''t seem to believe there is any way to beat anyone.

It really couldn''t be duller

I''ve been wondering for the last 10 years whether the top teams would leave for a European super league, but actually I can''t see it happening.  The truth is people aren''t too bothered about the group stages of the Champions League, especially against the lower lights from the rest of Europe.  And would it be better for Man U to be mid-table in a Euro league (which is where they''d probably end up) compared to competing for the title in the Prem every year ?

I read a couple of those football stats books and one of them talked about how we all hark back to the early 70s as a golden age of football (which in many ways it was IMO) but the fact is attendances at games are higher now than they were then.  Now I know that''s a bit of a dodgy argument because the stadiums are much better now and you''re not going to get beaten up going to a game.  But their basic point is that unless crowds start to drop and/or TV companies are not willing to pay as much for the product - neither of which show any sign of happening - why should the people who run football change anything ?

TV companies paying more for the product and a new technology that needed subscribers is what lead to the formation of the Premier League. It''s not beyond a possibility that this couldn''t happen again, think about all the companies that are trying to get part of the home entertainment/TV market combine that with 4G or what ever comes after 4G and a new football product like a Euro Super League.

Would clubs like Man U worry where they were in the league if their revenue steams were not affected?

Maybe instead of the elite teams breaking away fully, we need the Premiership split into 2 leagues. Or even have the top 36 teams split into 3 leagues of 12 teams in each.

We''d then be usually around the second league with an outside chance of the odd season in the super league.

Bring in 3 teams relegated and 3 promoted from each league with the playoffs being for the third spot, i.e. 3rd from bottom and 4th from bottom play versus 3rd and 4th in the league below to decide which teams go in which leagues.

12 teams would provide 44 league matches with everyone playing each other 4 times or there may be a more innovative way to play this. Have the first 22 games, then have another competition?

I always like there to be the deluded dream that one day we could win the title, with all the best teams in the land being beaten by us, not some washed out version where the superpowers are taken out and put into a super league.

"Jimmy Smith"

12 teams would provide 44 league matches with everyone playing each other 4 times or there may be a more innovative way to play this. Have the first 22 games, then have another competition?

I think what you''ve proposed there is the old SPL

Haha, so it is! I guess we''re experiencing a similar problem now that they had, (allbeit with about 7 teams instead of 1 or 2 teams). The gap between the top and the bottom of the premiership is way too large. The rich get richer, the poor get ''not-as-richer'' (still get the pl money).

At least it''s not as bad as Spain, they have a clear top 2 every year, then 3 or 4 alright teams but the rest of the league is utter dogshite, hence why Messi scores 91 goals in a year.

How do you find the right balance?

It''d be interesting to discuss the options for the structure of the league in future.

Perhaps there could be a european super league that all the elite teams went in and then each nation would have a second tier where teams like us got a shot of the big time for a season or two by winning that?

Basically, a 20 team league of the best teams in europe, then imagine the premiership minus the top 4, Tottenham down say, you would have to finish top two for a chance of promotion.

But what happens if our 4 teams are all amazing and we end up with like 8 English teams in the top europe league?

Hmm, the mind boggles. Nice idea, but way too much sorting out to do.

A few years ago, was there not talk of a kind of 2 tier setup re European football.?

The big teams from the big leagues (England, Spain Italy Germany and maybe France) would form a Super League.

Also there was to be something for teams from places like Holland, Scotland, Portugal, Belgium and Scandinavia which (I think) was to be called Atlantic League.

I seem to remember things had reached an advanced stage over this, but a deal could not be threashed out.

Does anyone know what happened to this ?

Must admit the longer we are here the more i''m getting fed up watching the Big teams bring in players worth the same as our entire starting 11It does make the victories against them so much sweeter though

I''m all for change as long as we can still theoretically reach the top.

I''d also want to continue having regular games against the top teams. Maybe not the whole season, but at least once a year, provided we''re at the level we''re at now. I just think if they were completely cut off, not many would be interested in our level (top ten prem clubs excluded).

One idea i''d love as an exhibition tournament at the end of every season is a best XI from each league taking part in a tournament, players voted in and only one per team allowed. I know it would probably never happen, but it would be awesome!

Imagine Premiership versus Liga BBVA, or Serie A versus Bundesliga!

Aguero, RVP and Suarez on the same side up against Messi, Ronaldo and Villa! Maybe Fer or Ruddy could make the bench!

Or Ribery, Lewandowski and Draxler versus Balotelli, Tevez and Hamsik!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The three season''s following 2009 were exceptional. I said so at the time and was laughed at. But you''ll be lucky to see the like of it again in your lifetime. And certainly not in THIS premier league.

[/quote]THIS IN SPADES ^^^^^^^^^^^If people are longing for those years to return they could be waiting a long time. It was a once in a lifetime thing and probably why so many supporters who attend away games have become so disenchanted. Looking at our entire Premiership away record it reads 26 wins in 126 matches and 16 of those wins were in the first 2 seasons 92/93 and 93/94. In the two promotion seasons we won 22 out of 46 matches. Not difficult to see why the fans come back with long kissers these days is it?I have season review tapes and videos going back yonks but guess which ones get played. The Lambert years were the exception and we won''t see their like again.

What a great thread, this board at its best.

Really got me thinking and I watch a lot of live Premier League matches, several a week, and I have to say that many times over the last few seasons I have not watched a match all the way through (not including those involving City of course). The reason is simple, a large percentage of the games are actually very average, boring even, and the percentage of the games that have you on the edge of your seat now make up a much lower percentage than when look back to the earlier years of the league. So, what happens most week''s when I think the game City have played was average, is that the next game is often not as good as the game we were in or, just as bad. That said, when you do get a top game then the level can be amazing, particularly the finishing,  but you have to watch a fair amount of mediocrity before you get it. 

What is clear is that if you really want proper exciting football week in week out, home and away, from a club of our size and resources in this league, then the odds are that relegation would happen very very quickly (many will disagree). In addition, I personally do not consider either Swansea and in particular Southampton as playing "proper exciting football", both these teams have bored me this season too, including when Southampton visited Carrow Road and played what I thought was formula football, granted they are doing well with it and the best of luck to them....but, I am talking about a different style of football to this, something that we probably will never see at Carrow Road again if we stay in the Premier League and that I feel is the price we pay.

I don''t comment on here very often as you can see by my post count but I started this thread as I was fed up of reading hughton out post after post after post.

It was really refreshing to see, in the main, a threat full of sensible reasoned comments.

Some really interesting posts on here.As for where we are now, I feel much of the current frustration is this perception that Norwich were moving ''to the next level''. A phrase several departing players used over the summer.  This idea of transforming from a plucky Championship club to an established Premier League side.  The club traded on this concept, using RVW as the shining poster boy for our metamorphosis. However, Hughton is learning this transition takes more than simply assembling the constituent parts.

I certainly don''t agree that the premier league is to blame for the dreadful football we have had to endure over the last 2 seasons.

I have seen many games from the top to bottom of the league over this period that were both exciting and productive. Just very few by Ncfc, we have a manager scared of his own shadow and this seems to get worse as time goes on.

The classic "protecting a 2-1 defeat line from CH after the Newcastle game sums up where our problems lie.