Sign in to follow this  
wcorkcanary

Why do differing opinions bring out such animosity?

I''ve not been on this message board long but it seems to me that some members are just looking for an excuse to have a dig at another poster.

I really have no desire to go back & trawl through the history of these spats....it would wreck my head. A while back someone(who shall remain nameless in case they jump on my neck again) had a right go at me cos i offered an informed opinion from a coaches point of view.

Can members develop some kind of message board anger syndrome...is it curable?

Answers(and no doubt insults) eagerly awaited.

PS i''m neither hughton in or out, just up city.

ArrrrggggghhhThis be tha inrahwheb, so prepare to set sail for phail !!!

Basically mate, this gives a none face to face somewhat anonomous outlet for discussion. Like all forms of community and society ( this is a community ) you will get different people of diffrent persuasions and points of view.Some people ( like myself) see this as nothing more than an internet forum and find it someone amusing to argue coal is white if you know it will get an amusing reaction. Some people call this trolling ( which is actually more like bullying ) where as in reality its called fishing.I dont seek to bully ( some on this board potentiall do though ) I merely seek to point fun or "fish". In that if someones daft enough to take the bait then its somewhat funny to see them get wound up over it.You also get people who see this forum as a pilar of importance or actual value, and they are the ones who will get frustraited at the trolls and fishermen.As said, dont take it personally and more to the point never take it seriously. Im sure most people on this board are good people and fun to have a beer with, although people dont have to hold back the nasty side of thier personality when sat behind a keyboard.Is it cureable ? Nah, just ignoreable :)

To be fair, it''s no different to being down the pub with your mates. I enjoy the differing opinions and intellects of people on here. Yes some opinions irk me that someone would possibly think such things, but as long as it''s not racist or whatever, i''ll read it and judge it credibly.

The only opinion i wouldn''t be fine with is if i disagreed with someone in power, say McNally wanted to pain the ground pink and have us go into business with Ipswich and there was nothing i cold do about it. Then i''d be really annoyed!

I think as long as it doesn''t get personal too, no need for that when debating football and surrounding subjects.

Some take it far to seriously WC, but I have been told off for saying that in the past because "It Is Serious"

Aye, I''ve noticed the same thing mate. I was just thinking earlier how it''s funny that we''re all Norwich fans, yet I think most of us spend more time arguing with, shouting at, and even hating each other than we do with rival fans, even Ipswich fans!

I''m talking about the people on this board who seem to name-check each other in almost every post, continuing an endless argument, seemingly forever! And those who even dedicate their signature thing to their hatred of another poster.. it''s amazing!

How often do you encounter any negativity or argue with a fan of another team in real life (apart from when in the ground obviously)? But go on to a message board for fans of your own club, and you will get all manner of things said to you by very angry people!

It''s true about the hiding behind the keyboard thing, it''s the same with road rage - people feel protected in their cars and will say and shout anything. But face to face, they''re nice as pie. Makes you wonder which way it is more natural for a human to be...

I think also that there is a general trend in society which affects discussions on here. We live in age of soundbite, twitter, text and instant opinion. That has changed the way people relate to each in very profound ways.

One is that language has polarised. Nuance has gone. Nothing is ok, acceptable or good in parts any more. Everything is either brilliant or rubbish. We converse in single sentences and often single words. So language and meaning diminishes as instant meaning becomes all. It is easier to say rubbish than engage in a detailed examination of the good and bad elements of the situation..

One person says Garrido is "great" and another says he is pants. One actually means, "not bad but I''m not a fan". The other that he thinks he''s good but we could improve at that position. Their opinions are not hugely far apart but the way those opinions are expressed is.

A lot of the time it is the language not the issue which divides posters.

The same tendency shows in personal comments. "Idiot" is easier than, "I cannot understand how you reached that view, please justify your reasoning". Unfortunately, it is also more offensive and more polarising. Hence the bitterness so prevalent here.

Very well put CambridgeCanary. I think you''re spot on. I do always try to explain things more fully when discussing a subject with someone online, but I wasn''t sure why I was doing it exactly! It''s very hard to do on Twitter though, which I think is partly responsible for the polarisation of language you''re talking about.

So perhaps what we should do instead of just calling someone an idiot, is "show our working out" as they used to say in Maths classes at school - explain how you came to the conclusion of "idiot"!

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]I''ve not been on this message board long but it seems to me that some members are just looking for an excuse to have a dig at another poster. I really have no desire to go back & trawl through the history of these spats....it would wreck my head. A while back someone(who shall remain nameless in case they jump on my neck again) had a right go at me cos i offered an informed opinion from a coaches point of view. Can members develop some kind of message board anger syndrome...is it curable? Answers(and no doubt insults) eagerly awaited. PS i''m neither hughton in or out, just up city.[/quote]

I''ve rarely seen anger on here buddy. It''s surely not worth being angry is it?  We all come here of our own free will as a leisure activity to compliment supporting the club. Why on earth would anyone do that to be angry...

I''ve been on here 18 months and had very little interest when I''ve tried to have a decent footballing discussion. Often it''s a case of looking for where my thread is among the subsequent trolling/non-football spam, and then finding the thread I''d contributed to has been derailed by a load of pointless arguing.

Excellent responses , thanks. I do not take it too seriously but have noticed that threads get hijacked , and apologies for disagreeing Nutty ,some posts do seem a bit angry.

Its great that this thread got to half a dozen or so replies and stayed on subject.....thats nearly an adult discussion.

On a lighter note i bumped into the only other City supporter that is close by the other day...his return from work abroad means that now we have double the supporters in this town that Ip5w1ch do.