Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Are Their Any Players...

Who have left the club in the last couple of years that you think could be doing a job for us right now? Particularly with the way the injury list is looking?

I''ve looked at the lists and I have to say that I still can''t understand why Tom Adeyemi was let go. He will mature into a quality player and seems to be the perfect fit for Hughton, he''s a box to box player.

People are going to come and say Holt right now but can''t agree with that, looks to be a good decision with the way that he has played at Wigan - past it.

But my other candidate is Leon Barnett. Think he was underrated. Sometimes lost concentration or had an excellent game but then made a fatal mistake, but by and large he was a quality CB. Surprising that we have left ourselves with just three players in that position, with Bassong unfit / out of form would have thought he should be in contention if still here and our number 4.

Other than that can''t say I''m too fussed about everybody else. If I can count loan players then I thought Henri Lansbury was a snip at £1m and would have been a handy player to have around the place.

Anybody else have players that they would preferred the club to still have?

Yep agree with both. Lansbury was a great favourite of mine. Great character on the pitch and will never forget his debut against the evil binners.

My only problem with your post Juge is the suggestion that our esteemed, popular and very nice manager likes a ''box to box'' player. I would love to think that is true but perhaps my feelings have been warped because I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and now I really think he is is out of his depth. I fear if changes are not made we will lose a few key players - if we haven''t already, mentally!!

Every week I think I am being rash and try and convince myself I''m wrong but along comes match day and there I sit in my seat and witness …. well not a lot!!

How I wish I had the mind set of Nutty, Lapps et al and when back in the UK, Morty.

I so hope I''m proved wrong.

Well obviously the injury problems haven''t helped our situation but Ward and Barnett could have been handy to have around. Same with Surman (only out on loan, of course).

As things stand I''d have Holt back. Might not have had a great season at Wigan but at least we knew what we were getting with him and right now we''re weaker without him - including how he was last season.

Good subject and I thought long and hard about it, and my answer is "no". Adeyemi. I didnt see enough of him to really judge but would suspect had he been up to the level required he would have moved to a better club. Barnett I actually liked and wouldnt have had a problem had he stayed, but we have better, the same I feel about Ayala too, again rated him but we do have better. Was very impressed with Lansbury, he played well for us, but again I genuinely think we have better now. The big question is Grant Holt, now like many I heaped high praise on him, even when looking back when he was really not doing it for us at times last season (at the time I would defend him because it was Gant Holt and that picture after he scored a hat-trick at Portaloo is my wallpaper) absolute legend and sometimes I do start to think "if only Holty was still with us"......but, again when my head takes over I think he moved at the right time and I dont think he would have contributed as much again this season had he stayed, other than perhaps his off field influence and leadership, perhaps.  So, I''m thinking that none of the more recently released players would have made a difference this season even though we are having a tough time of things right now.

When I was loosely connected to the Academy , Tom was the stand out under 9, playing up for his age. He was outstanding. Highly rated by the staff up there, and he did seem to keep up with the expectation. I would love him to still be here. He think he suffered the fate of many young players that are connected to a club that gets into the Prem, in that the success has to be instant and there is no time to learn. I still think given the right environment he can make it, and my heart if not my head still says he could do a job at times like this.

I really liked Barnett too! I recall him playing alongside Bassong and he looked class.

If we are allowed loan players...Crouch? I''ll get my coat.

None of the players that have been released / sold in recent seasons would improve us now. Apart from Simon Lappin of course.

Adeyemi et al are are decent enough but they are developing at levels which suit them. I don''t think they would be much use in the Prem at present.