Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Our Board - Cool under pressure or on the Bridge of the Titanic?

The deluded minority (we''re not allowed to call them HC''s any more) also have broken into 2 more splinter groups;

In addition to the band playing upbeat tunes , they now have formed a guard of deckhands rearranging the deckchairs.

Also there is the guy back at Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast (think his name is Eddie ,or similar,) who has made the smug assertion that Titanic is "unsinkable".......

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]What evidence is this ?? I''m interested if there is some evidence maybe I would be able to sleep easier. I was under the impression we were 1 point outside the bottom 3 with the third worst goal difference in the league having failed to beat 2 out of 3 of the promoted teams having conceded only one less goal than the worst defence in the league and being amongst the lowest scorers not to mention the fact that apparently our strikers have mustered 1 goal in open play between them and apparently 6 shots so far this season. Looking forward to a wealth of positive evidence making me feel better already.[/quote]

Exactly Glovey. This evidence is all the conjecture of what you think will happen. It''s not evidence. If it were then as we are one point out of the bottom three after one third we''d be three points clear after the full season.

You think those with different points of view are deluded. Well guess what....

Houston wrote: "Cool! My Titanic metaphor has become a thread. So let''s take it a little further."

Oh please don''t!

"But 1st, it''s Titanic, not THE Titanic."

Damn. You did.

"Those wishing to wait until it''s too late are the lads in the crowsnest."

Can I just point out that the lookouts in the crowsnest were the ones that spotted the iceberg and warned the bridge. They were not the ones who acted too slowly.

"If it gets that far, the board are the too small rudder which was unable to stear clear of the iceberg to avoid the drop. (pun intended)."

Erm, no problems with the rudders if they had heeded the look outs warnings in the first instance. Also again, strange analogy because essentially the captain is in charge of the rudder and yet in comparison the board ultimately has the choice in deciding whether they need a new manager or not so doesn''t really work.

"The happy clappers are the band, cheefully and loyally playing upbeat tunes."

Whilst the reality is that the band new they were not likely to survive and so supposedly played music to try and keep up the spirits of the passengers loading into the life craft or waiting for help after the last one had gone.

"The plastics who disappear from here when we''re not Prem are The California which sailed away from the wireless calls for help."

Probably the best bit so far.

As for Wiz - well he is back to his trolling and mind changing ways again. He was only ever happy when we got relegated to League 1.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Cool! My Titanic metaphor has become a thread. So let''s take it a little further. But 1st, it''s Titanic, not THE Titanic. Those wishing to wait until it''s too late are the lads in the crowsnest. If it gets that far, the board are the too small rudder which was unable to stear clear of the iceberg to avoid the drop. (pun intended). The happy clappers are the band, cheefully and loyally playing upbeat tunes. The plastics who disappear from here when we''re not Prem are The California which sailed away from the wireless calls for help. Any other amusingly clever analogies?[/quote]

Houston, you obviously like things to be correct so I believe it''s accurate to refer to it as Californian, not The California.

You may be right, YC, but I''ve never heard that before. ;)

Chicken, the analogy with the boys in the crowsnest stands. By the time they got up there it was too late. There was a big asss iceberg in front and they just couldn''t see it. Their intentions were good, just like the people who refuse to see this season as anything but a disappointment. Hey, our expensively built top class team is like the ship except this isn''t Captain Smith''s maiden voyage.

The band/happy clappers do the same thing in your criticism so what was your point?

Try again. Or don''t.

Regardless of reaction time of those in charge of Titanic, the rudder was too small for a ship that size in any circumstance.

I really hope our board remain in control of the ship. Leaving it to the likes of Wiz, Glovey, Bootsie and Houston is the stuff of nightmares! Nevermind Titanic, another movie boat trip springs to mind : -

[quote user="InchY_Van_Cureton."]Don''t panic!! If we lose to Palace he will be sacked. Mcnally is no mug despite what a few on here think.[/quote]

Trouble is if we beat Palace we might be stuck with Mr boring for longer. He is a busted flush.

Firstly the band began to play because they, like others, knew the outcome and wanted to play to the people in an effort to ease their spirits.

That''s not really ''happy clappers'' who supposedly are happy and will lap up anything the club throws at them.

If anything I would say the Owner of the White Star Line was the only happy clapper who kept insisting that the ship wouldn''t sink and then was the first to bolt for a boat (allegedly).

As for the crows nest, they were always up there, they weren''t too late, it was dark and they didn''t see it until it was already too late.

The reality of the Titanic is that the owner informed the Captain not to slow down despite warnings of an iceberg field ahead and that a slower speed would mean they could adjust course if needed. The owner wanted to break the record for the journey time.

And back to the rudder - the analogy still does not stand up. The captain is in charge of the bridge, it''s him that ultimately commands the rudder. That doesn''t work because the manager of a football club is not the one in charge of it. And the point about the rudder is that it was the last small problem in a chain of very poor choices that lead to hundreds of deaths.

Crows nest didn''t see the problem until it was too late. Glad you see that now. Before your debate sinks.

Regardless of who was in control, the rudder was too small.

As for the band, if you want to be referring to their intent, it was to keep the mood light. Like happy clappers do. I agree the band knew it was a lost cause which hap claps don''t.

First off, I don''t have an argument other than to say yours is rubbish.

Which I have done. And you have ended up agreeing with me, which is very kind.

You blamed the lookouts - when it was the speed and lack of visibility that meant that they spotted the iceberg at a distance that the ship could not respond to. They did not DELAY in informing the bridge which is what you said initially.

Again the whole rudder thing was because you compared it to the board. And it doesn''t make sense unless you are suggesting all the board does is get steered by the manager which just isn''t the case.

So apart from the look outs, the rudder and the band, it''s just like the Titanic . .. . . no wait, ah nevermind.

Now you''re just making things up. I didn''t say the crows nest delayed. The fans are delaying. It''s the result that I''m afraid may be the same.

And so on as you take my comparisons in the wrong context for the sake of God knows what, trying to look superior over a light hearted comment?

You failed at that, and your reactions make you look like a miserable old git. Happy Thanksgiving, turkey.