Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Our Board - Cool under pressure or on the Bridge of the Titanic?

The Board have picked and backed Hughton. I admire them in many ways for refusing to hit the panic button when short term results do not go our way. These are qualities to admire and respect in so many ways BUT it is on the assumption that the original decision to appoint him a was correct in the first place. If it was not then we are all on course to hit an iceberg.

Lest seasons achievements in finishing 11th after the upset and disruption of Lambert leaving was fantastic. True the football was not exactly flowing stuff but we did have several memorable wins against top opposition. Hughton spent very little to achieve this and brought some much needed organisation to the defence.

From the end of last season though things have not gone well. Firstly the Board and supporters expectations were probably increased by the summer spending to a top 10 finish that was unrealistic. Yes we finished 11th but for much of the last 10games of the season we were worried about relegation.

We spent a lot of money in the spring and summer and by and large everyone at the time seems to have been happy with the players. To date of all the signings only Olson and Fer can be regarded as a success. Ok the others may settle but the blunt truth a third of the season in is that RVW and Hooper with 2 goals between them have not come off, Elmander looks a journeyman out of his depth and Redmond has potential but blows hot and cold.

The fact that an air of nervousness hangs over the club speaks volumes and the talk of managerial sackings will not go away and changes by the week. This manager is an experienced coach but not an experienced manager and his coaches are not experienced coaches but failed managers. This is probably the first time that Hughton has had a lot of cash to spend in his career and the jury is out as to how well it has been spent and indeed if he is getting the best out of the squad.When Lambert resigned he left an attacking squad with an attacking mentality. Hughton is more cautious and defensive and that is where we have missed a trick. Swansea have an attacking ethos and replace their managers when they need to to fit the squad not the other way around. This is where we have missed a trick and if you ask fans what they think we are they would probably say we still have an attacking squad but they are being made to play defensive. This is not working . I managerial change would be both disruptive and expensive and there are not exactly a mass of outstanding candidates out there at the moment. The Board are sticking with their man at the moment as they are confused and fear change, but the cost of not doing so may be high. I cannot see vast improvement and style no matter how much he spends and how long he is in charge, the same frustrations will constantly resurface. In summary i think we are stuck with him until a more attractive candidate comes on the scene when ever that may be. The boards complacency at the AGM of being mid table soon does worry me though

They are on the titanic the band is playing on the deck they are up to their waist in water and still they don''t know they have a problem.

McNally and Hughton out. Messiah back

Just about covers all bases, that, Yorks.

My take is that the board currently have a high stock of goodwill from shareholders and fans, mainly on the back of the good Lambert years and the fact that, in the end, against all odds, it just about came good last season.

What happens as regard their decision re this manager remains to be seen. There are enough experienced operators on this board, most of whom have a vested interest that would plunge if NCFC fell out of the Premier League, to ensure that the right decision prevails.

You have clearly decided that this should not be a Hughton In/Out thread, and I laud that, as there have already been far too many of then, the vast majority of which end in acrimony.

Suffice to say I can perfectly understand the scores of reasonable minded fans who think that Chris Hughton is the right man for the job. They are confident the club will prosper under him. I happen to disagree with them ,but it''s all about opinions , isn''t it ?

What I cannot understand are the small number who have openly stated on this forum that they''d wait until we are relegated (or as near as) until they got rid of him. That''s where your reference to the Titanic in the title is quite apt. If that''s their view, then they clearly have serious doubts about NCFC''s prospects under Hughton, but lack the mental strength to opt for a change now, before it''s too late.

I''m not sure whether I agree with you that there are no attractive alternative candidates, but I accept that changing things would represent something of a gamble. So, to answer your question, I''m happy to give the board the benefit of the doubt. What was uttered at the AGM was just the usual "public consumption" charade that''s always trotted out at these events, but I''m confident that they have a workable plan should the need arise.

I think you might find them like swans Yorkshire! cool and calm on the surface but with legs frantically kicking around under the surface.

I have no faith in the manager but I do have faith in the Board to do the right thing for the club. CH will know exactly where he stands and what is expected over the next few games.

If Saturday goes ''the way of the pear'' I''m pretty sure the Chief Exec won''t be changing his ringtone to

"Nearer, My God, to Thee"

I also think there are other issues for and against the current managerial set up that provide their own contradictions and difficulties. If Hughton were to be sacked then i have no doubt whatsoever that he would be back in work pretty quickly albeit most probably at championship level. This would tend to indicate that there is a lot of confidence in his abilities but perhaps not at that top level.

I genuinely think think he has an eye for a good player but have concerns about his ability to get the best out of attacking ones and indeed his ability to evolve a squad blending in new signings with existing players. Having seen him spend the best part of £25m over the last 7 months or so does the Board or Fanbase have confidence that he should be given the same amount of cash in January or the summer, i suspect there will be a lot of nervousness.

One important point to finish with is that everyone agrees that better players should over time bring about a better evolution at a club, to take the club on to another more prosperous level. I think the same should be said of management teams. many serve a purpose and indeed do a good job to a point, but have limitations that eventually hold back the club going further. That what i think on reflection is the situation with the current set up. He served us very well last season and probably despite all the frustrations will keep us up this, but i do not see things getting much better thereafter and to get to a settled mid table position which our fanbase and finances can sustain i feel an upgrade is needed, whoever that may be. Cutting to the chase even if we keep him for the time being he and his assistants are half way through a 3 year contract, would everyone feel comfortable about extending that, probably not on the evidence to date

AGMs are very often a PR exercise where those on high assembled on the top table do their best to exude confidence and an air of solidarity. I am not in the least bit surprised at the sound bites which were made - did people really expect DM to come out with ''Chris knows that if we lose on Saturday his P45 will be ready for him at 4.50''. Of course he wouldn''t but I have faith that the present board will do what''s best for the club whatever that might involve.

I have to say Yorkshire, that amid all of the post AGM excitement on this forum, that is a well thought out piece, and in my opinion , sets a very reasonable perspective. I agree on your take of the Management and coaches, and by and large on the signings, although I still think the strikers do not get a high enough percentage of “chances” which in turn I think reflects the system.

Re you points on complacency of the board, I think you must be cautious that you don’t take everything said at the AGM too literally. McNally , in my experience, is a consummate politician  well versed and trained in the art of saying a lot, and not really saying anything. The message at an AGM, for the benefit of shareholders and the media is going to be positive. What I witnessed at the pre season dinner was a Churchill-esque speech about clearing debt etc etc. Bowkett is more passionate (“of course we have a plan B”) but still holds it together. The information flow from the board is very tightly controlled, I think Delia is now less likely to spill the beans at the Norfolk Show after a good lunch than she once was.

When asked where they think we will finish, they say mid table. What else are they likely to say? I think we will finish bottom? Top? Are they really going to give us the benefit of their inner thoughts in such a forum? I doubt it. It wasn’t until the last few games of last year that even CH stated that we were in a relegation battle , that is , when it suited the club to say so. The control over these media messages is much tighter than we think. This isnt a chat over a pint we are talking about, but highly skilled , rehearsed individuals speaking publically. And why, I hasten to add, I didn''t go.

A results based industry, in a fiercely competitive environment will lead to decisions being taken based on those results, and of course the potential lost income. We can all rest assured that the money is foremost in the board’s , and the staff’s, mind.  Whether CH goes , or stays, will be determined by the results in the next (short I believe) period. If CH is still here at Christmas it will be because we have won a few matches. Lose to Palace and there might be a few locked doors on Monday morning at CarrowRoad.

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]AGMs are very often a PR exercise where those on high assembled on the top table do their best to exude confidence and an air of solidarity. I am not in the least bit surprised at the sound bites which were made - did people really expect DM to come out with ''Chris knows that if we lose on Saturday his P45 will be ready for him at 4.50''. Of course he wouldn''t but I have faith that the present board will do what''s best for the club whatever that might involve.[/quote]

Blimey Barry, were you looking over my sholder just then [:D]

Don''t panic!! If we lose to Palace he will be sacked. Mcnally is no mug despite what a few on here think.

Psychic powers I think GPP and two of us who both understand the way of these things, mine through personal experience. Your post, I believe, is a spot on summary of the present situation.

Well said Barry Brockes and GPB, there is the "public facing" board performance and then there''s the internal workings of the CEO and managerial relationships. Whatever some fans may crave, DMcN is hardly likely to conduct a Managerial Performance Review withn the public domain.

As Harold Wilson once famously said, "A week is a long time in politics". I believe that''s equally applicable to football.  

Excellent post from GPB. This is a particularly close-mouthed board of directors adept at not giving clues. That said I think there were a couple of possible pointers from what I''ve read about the AGM.

The predictions from Bowkett and McNally about climbing to mid-table mediocrity were not linked to achieving that with Hughton. That may be nothing or it may be preparing the ground in case of a change.

As for finance, McNally has said two things that look contradictory. In October:

The players all have Championship clauses in their contracts and anyone over a certain level or pay grade here does.”

On Tuesday something more worrying: "We have to stay in the Premier League, as our business model is based around that."

"Have to"? If that is true then I would give less for Hughton''s future than otherwise.

That said, this is a very experienced board of directors. I cannot see it making the kind of double mistake that Wolves perpetrated.

Which was to sack a manager without having lined up a credible replacement. And to leave the decision until late in the season.

I trust/hope this board will either stick with Hughton to the end or get rid of him in time for the replacement to spend money in January.

Your final sentence is kind of where I''m coming from too Purple.

The time for a change is now, or we stick with Hughton for the forseeable future. Where I cannot see any sense is to soldier on till we are all but relegated in name in, say, March(eg as Reading and QPR were last season) then fire him and expect someone else to work a miracle. But, unbelievably, that''s precisely what some on here are advocating.

The reality is , of course, that if we do go down, Hughton will walk , in the same way that political party leaders do after a Gen Election defeat.

People who are trying to read a vote of confidence or no confidence into anything the board said on Tuesday evening are barking! But they weren''t asked so it was a walk in the park for them. Hughton was asked a few loaded questions but the board weren''t. I can only conclude that the shareholders have every confidence in the board. And I agree. Whilst the board hold their nerve I shall hold mine. I will support them because they have given me no reason not to. And every reason to do. The posters on here who regularly jump on these bandwagons and those who distort facts into piffle will not have my trust, respect or support. In fact they have the complete opposite.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

People who are trying to read a vote of confidence or no confidence into anything the board said on Tuesday evening are barking! But they weren''t asked so it was a walk in the park for them. Hughton was asked a few loaded questions but the board weren''t. I can only conclude that the shareholders have every confidence in the board. And I agree. Whilst the board hold their nerve I shall hold mine. I will support them because they have given me no reason not to. And every reason to do. The posters on here who regularly jump on these bandwagons and those who distort facts into piffle will not have my trust, respect or support. In fact they have the complete opposite.

[/quote]

Thats fine Mr ArseLicker because its a two way street with us.

This Crows Nest is very crowded - who spotted what, where and when?

No - not all at once, for the love of God!

What do you mean you WANT us to SINK so we can get a new Captain?!!! Are you MAD?

What do you mean three more nautical miles and if we haven''t got there quick enough we''ll throw the captain overboard and ask the owner to name a new one!!!!

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Us...

LOL

Who have you got in your us?

Yep, you phrased it far better than me, Chicken.

But of course the deluded minority know best, don''t they ? It makes perfect sense to sail on full steam ahead headlong into the iceberg. No point in steering a few degrees to port or starboard to avoid it.

Luckily for the passengers they are not the Captain of the ship.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Us...

LOL

[/quote]

More than you realise Pompous MkII.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Us...

LOL

[/quote]

More than you realise Pompous MkII.

[/quote]

Good luck to you both then[Y]

I think there are very few that have the smug level of satisfaction that everything will be alright on the night.

A great deal of people praying that the board do know what they are doing despite all the evidence to the contrary.

then there are those who either smugly declare they new Hughton would be a disaster all along or have looked at the evidence of his tenure and the progression he has achieved since his arrival and realised things are not getting better, they show no signs of improvement in fact if anything they appear to be getting worse and take the view that now would be the optimum time to change if we really want to have a decent chance to avoid the drop.

I''d wager the majority will be in camps 2 & 3 but everyone has an opinion, doing nothing is always the easy option just look at what our manager does when things aren''t going his way on the pitch.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I think there are very few that have the smug level of satisfaction that everything will be alright on the night. A great deal of people praying that the board do know what they are doing despite all the evidence to the contrary. [/quote]

As far as I''m aware there is no eveidence to the contrary. There''s a lot of conjecture to the contrary but surely all the evidence points to them knowing what they are doing.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I think there are very few that have the smug level of satisfaction that everything will be alright on the night. A great deal of people praying that the board do know what they are doing despite all the evidence to the contrary. [/quote]

As far as I''m aware there is no eveidence to the contrary. There''s a lot of conjecture to the contrary but surely all the evidence points to them knowing what they are doing.

The picture you paint is a very bleak one ( and some people have the nerve to describe ME as uber negative !), KG,but, unfortunately, I think that you have hit the nail squarely on the head.

The only slight alteration I''d add is in the first first sentence to something like "have the smug level of satisfaction that ....for some unknown reason in their opinion.... everything will be alright on the night."

I''d certainly align myself in camp 2 . Camp 1 are getting smaller by the hour, and, quite possibly by 4.50 on Saturday will be down to one or two hard line refuseniks. Camp 3 has remained pretty steady, but at the moment is gaining support at a speed that even UKIP would envy .

Do you think that there will come a time that the fans will turn on the board, and when , and under what circumstances do you estimate that would be ?

Reggie Strayshun wrote the following post at 28/11/2013 12:55 PM:

Do you think that there will come a time that the fans will turn on the board, and when , and under what circumstances do you estimate that would be ?

I don''t think the fans will turn on the board because I think the board have enough about them to act before it gets to that point.

What evidence is this ?? I''m interested if there is some evidence maybe I would be able to sleep easier.

I was under the impression we were 1 point outside the bottom 3 with the third worst goal difference in the league having failed to beat 2 out of 3 of the promoted teams having conceded only one less goal than the worst defence in the league and being amongst the lowest scorers not to mention the fact that apparently our strikers have mustered 1 goal in open play between them and apparently 6 shots so far this season.

Looking forward to a wealth of positive evidence making me feel better already.

Cool! My Titanic metaphor has become a thread. So let''s take it a little further.

But 1st, it''s Titanic, not THE Titanic.

Those wishing to wait until it''s too late are the lads in the crowsnest. If it gets that far, the board are the too small rudder which was unable to stear clear of the iceberg to avoid the drop. (pun intended).

The happy clappers are the band, cheefully and loyally playing upbeat tunes.

The plastics who disappear from here when we''re not Prem are The California which sailed away from the wireless calls for help.

Any other amusingly clever analogies?