Sign in to follow this  
65Vintage

Kei Kamara - Better Impact Sub Than we Have?

I  know Kei has been covered lots, but looking at some of our performances which seem to lack any passion, is he actually a better impact sub than we currently have?We seem to lack leadership and passion, having lost Holt, but irrespective of his football talent, he really seemed to lift the players when he came on, and it seemed that the players and supporters maybe thought something just might happen whenever he came on.I don''t see the same thing if Elmander comes on now, and as yet, I can''t see that happening if the Wolf or Becchio came on - maybe only with Redmond.I know he''s not the greatest, as we all do, but could he have provided an ingredient, that with the loss of Holt, and in hindsight, we are somehow missing?Just a thought.....

What would be the point, he''d come on in the 89th minute. The reason our subs don''t make an impact probably has something to do with us having a manager who never makes them early unless forced to through injury..... and when he does make a substitution to try and change a game it is generally a like-for-like substitution.

But I think he would have been a good impact sub for a manager who is willing to roll the dice, like Paul Lambert.

No striker we can afford will ever perform in Hughtons Norwich team. We could play a fan up top it really doesn''t matter. The player will get about 10 touches all game usually only 2 thirds of the way up the pitch while isolated and will get maybe one half chance per match. Holt did magnificently to get 8 last year!

I remember him having an impact every time he played.

Generously gave a goal to Wes that he could have claimed as well.

Certainly offered something different - had a Hell of a leap - but rapidly knackered himself charging enthusiastically around the place.

Even if overall no better than our present strikers, his presence around the club would have given everyone a lift. Terrific personality & attitude.

He always made an impact, whether as a sub or from the start.  He had a physical presence which made things happen.  With Hooper up front, or Elmander, we completely lack that at the moment.  Technically they are probably better players but in quite a few games this season I''d rather have seen Kei up front than either of them.

This raises an interesting question. Given, based on time spent on the pitch, he was ahead of Becchio last season, why did we keep Becchio and let KK go?

"KK we simply sent back. Not that option with LB"

So Hughton was prepared to take Becchio to get shot of Morison, but wasn''t prepared to spend £800k on Kamara and accept bids for Becchio in the summer?

I don''t think Hughton actually likes Kei''s style. He likes classy players, & I think he rates Becchio more in that department.

If KK had scored a few more goals he''d have kept him here anyway. He''s a very pragmatic manager.

I imagine he hoped LB would ''come on'' a bit more this season (in training) & has been a bit disappointed in that respect.

Ultimately I doubt there was much in it.

Kamara is a bit of a threat because he can be a presence in the box but he comes up a bit short outside the box. You could tell he often didn''t really know what to do with the ball when he''d brought it under control and that killed the momentum of some of our moves.

Handy player to have in the squad but probably got used more than he should have.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I don''t think Hughton actually likes Kei''s style. He likes classy players, & I think he rates Becchio more in that department.

If KK had scored a few more goals he''d have kept him here anyway. He''s a very pragmatic manager.

I imagine he hoped LB would ''come on'' a bit more this season (in training) & has been a bit disappointed in that respect.

Ultimately I doubt there was much in it.[/quote]

Does not really explain why KK was given much more time in the team when they were both here Ron.

Not sure that either are at a stage in their career where they will be coming on a bit. Both are more likely to now be what you see is what you get.

Maybe if he bought becchio on we could answer that question a bit better, i mean against WBA becchios header and pass to howson for his goal, that last game against man c when tettey missed one on one when he could have squared it to becchio for a tap in. I know the situations are different but the fact we arent scoring goals and elmander puts himself about like a wet lettuce says give the guy a chance and we can see for real if hes a good inpact sub.

Hoots doesnt know how to use substitutes so I dont know why we bother talking about impact subs.If the guy can get a hattrick in the 89th minute then im all for it but thats the game time he will get. Personally if I was a pro footballer and the manager said at the 89th get on thier son, id sit on the bench on my paycheck and laugh at him.

Get a grip guys. KK''s arrival coincided with our drop in form and everyone fearing relegation. He leaves and we beat WBA and Man City. He has a nice personal story but where is this great ability to lift the team?

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Get a grip guys. KK''s arrival coincided with our drop in form and everyone fearing relegation. He leaves and we beat WBA and Man City. He has a nice personal story but where is this great ability to lift the team?[/quote]

I think that a bit harsh on KK, its not like he paid for WBA & MCFC''s sun bed hire, they were well into applying the factor 30 by the time we played them.

[quote user="65Vintage"]I  know Kei has been covered lots, but looking at some of our performances which seem to lack any passion, is he actually a better impact sub than we currently have?

We seem to lack leadership and passion, having lost Holt, but irrespective of his football talent, he really seemed to lift the players when he came on, and it seemed that the players and supporters maybe thought something just might happen whenever he came on.

I don''t see the same thing if Elmander comes on now, and as yet, I can''t see that happening if the Wolf or Becchio came on - maybe only with Redmond.

I know he''s not the greatest, as we all do, but could he have provided an ingredient, that with the loss of Holt, and in hindsight, we are somehow missing?

Just a thought.....

[/quote]

If you could combine Kamara''s positive attitude and enthusiasm with a genuinely talented footballer, rather than the quite good one he is, well you''d have a new Didier Drogba or similar.

But I know what you''re saying, we''re missing a spark somewhere, a Grant Holt-esque presence who can rally the troops and inspire the lads. I don''t believe there''s a natural leader in the squad.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Get a grip guys. KK''s arrival coincided with our drop in form and everyone fearing relegation. He leaves and we beat WBA and Man City. He has a nice personal story but where is this great ability to lift the team?
[/quote]

I think that a bit harsh on KK, its not like he paid for WBA & MCFC''s sun bed hire, they were well into applying the factor 30 by the time we played them.

[/quote]

Yet WBA took a break from topping up the tan to pop 5 past Man United the next week and we were on the beach with Man City weren''t we?

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Get a grip guys. KK''s arrival coincided with our drop in form and everyone fearing relegation. He leaves and we beat WBA and Man City. He has a nice personal story but where is this great ability to lift the team?
[/quote]

His arrival coincided with him scoring in the win against Everton, I thought.

It looks like as soon as KK clicked his ruby Nike''s three times and returned to Kansas everyone got some sand between their toes.

Its a good question and hard to answer as this is a different season with a different set of circumstances. I certainly would only see KK as an impact sub at this level and not a starter, and to be honest I think we need players who are not just an impact player when they come on as sub. CH gave him a decent try so as to make his mind up on him, didnt have to do the same with Becchio as he was signed regardless of how he did in the last few games. Better than we have now, despite liking KK''s attitude,and I would certainly have no issue had he been part of the squad, then I have to say that he isnt better than we have right now as I feel confident time will tell. But we could all say he is so that we have another stick to beat CH with?

KK. Nice fella and a nice story but quite how he kept Holt out of the side says more about Hughton than it does about KK''s limited abilities .