Sign in to follow this  
catlineker

How many points will we need to stay up?

Do we need 40 this season?

If we did we would need another 29 points from 26 games. Being a pessimist i cannot see any points from the last 5(people say 4 but having been at Craven Cottage 3 times in the last decade i cant see any points coming there) so we need 29 from 21. Looks tough given our away form.

I think given recent form we will probably land in the early to mid 30''s. Enough?

When looking at those last games I think you need to factor in the beach. What seems to be agreed by all posters on here is that Hughton doesn''t get out the flip-flops until the season is over.

[quote user="catlineker"]Do we need 40 this season?

If we did we would need another 29 points from 26 games. Being a pessimist i cannot see any points from the last 5(people say 4 but having been at Craven Cottage 3 times in the last decade i cant see any points coming there) so we need 29 from 21. Looks tough given our away form.

I think given recent form we will probably land in the early to mid 30''s. Enough?[/quote]

I think we will nee more than 40, ask this question again in Janury

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Clutching at straws there Nutty ? Nothing new for you I guess, He will turn it around he will. Keep clicking the heels of those ruby slippers.[/quote]

Not really because unlike you I believe where you finsish in the league is where you deserve to be Glovey. The beach post was ironic btw..

[*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

When looking at those last games I think you need to factor in the beach. What seems to be agreed by all posters on here is that Hughton doesn''t get out the flip-flops until the season is over.

[/quote]

You''re the best person to judge if they''re at the beach Nutty, what with your head always being in the sand.

But I do totally agree with Glovey for the first time this month. The argument about playing teams on the beach IS clutching at straws. Huzzah Glovey[Y]

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You''re the best person to judge if they''re at the beach Nutty, what with your head always being in the sand.

[/quote]

Didn''t you used to post on here before? The rhetoric isn''t really outstanding but I do recognise the avatar.

But we did have to rely on that last year to stay up.

In the context of last season and certainly the second half of last season there is no way anybody could predict those 2 results.

would have been interesting to know what odds you would have got.

I''d guess there would be lots of 00000s

Points are irrelevant to us this year, our only hope is that 3 teams are even worse than we are because I cannot see any possibility of us achieving 40 points even if we sign Messi in January (I guess he would be left on the bench by Hughton anyway)

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]even if we sign Messi in January (I guess he would be left on the bench by Hughton anyway)[/quote]

Is that because he''s Argentinian[:^)]

The plus point for Messi would be how much he''d improve as a player if Hughton didn''t select him...

He''d become the answer to world peace i think, wasted sat on our bench!

As for the points, I think we need to make sure we win our big home games and then take scraps from the rest. That should see us to 30 more points.

I think the 40 point mark is always the best to aim for.

Yes, 40 points seems to be the accepted figure, by those who know about this sort of thing, though, as in all matters there will be the usual minority who think they know better....

As Jimmy says, unless something mindblowing happens to our away form, then we need to win about 75% of our home games to get near that figure.

The 40 point safety target is a bit of a myth and a team getting 40 points or better (since the reduction to 20 clubs 95/96) has only been relegated on 3 occasions.66% of the time (12 out of 18), 38 points will keep you up and even as low as 35 points has been enough in 7 of 18 seasons (38.8%).Looking at the present table I would estimate that 36/37 could easily be safe.Both Palace and Sunderland have really got to go some to get anywhere near that figure and at this stage it would need a massive improvement to see either team breaking 30 pointsAs for the rest I wouldn''t be shocked to see at least 6 clubs fail to reach 40 points this season.

I have a feeling it will be 37 to be safe and we will end up with c42

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Yes, 40 points seems to be the accepted figure, by those who know about this sort of thing, though, as in all matters there will be the usual minority who think they know better.... As Jimmy says, unless something mindblowing happens to our away form, then we need to win about 75% of our home games to get near that figure.[/quote]

Well of course if we win 75% of our home games we will end up on 45/46 points and pushing for top half. If however we factor in last season''s away form we will finish well in the top half with only the top 6/7 above us. Last season would have been 6 points above 9th.

But you carry on Reggie...

I''m going to say ...38. No 39. Actually, can I change that? 37. No 40. Ok to be absolutely certain, 41, 42 or 43. Yes, 43 . Definitely 43.

Ok I''m ready now. If we get 60 points we''ll be safe. Phew. I feel better for that.

See you tomorrow in the Upper Barclay. Or maybe I''ll sit in the Jarrold. Or the snake pit.

Tricky isn''t it?  

dunno how many points but we will finish 13th...of course none of it will be good enough!!! we will have deserved relegation and any team we beat from January onwards will be at Hemsby