Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Why did people want Worthy out?

Im not sure I explained properly what the point of this thread was supposed to be. I was hoping people might commit to why they wanted, or why they think others wanted, worthy out, ie the main reason and then comment on whether the same factors are behind the hughton out campain. Complaints of hoofball were prolific during worthy''s final year (so style was behind that particular grumble), and style is the regular criticism of hughton. So why did fans want worthy out, and why do fans want hughton out? Is it the same issues, or is it completely different?

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Im not sure I explained properly what the point of this thread was supposed to be. I was hoping people might commit to why they wanted, or why they think others wanted, worthy out, ie the main reason and then comment on whether the same factors are behind the hughton out campain. Complaints of hoofball were prolific during worthy''s final year (so style was behind that particular grumble), and style is the regular criticism of hughton. So why did fans want worthy out, and why do fans want hughton out? Is it the same issues, or is it completely different?[/quote]

I understand your point GMD, but to me the open sores over Worthy, the open sores over Chase and the open sores that have been festering over Hughton ever since he came here are there down to a section of fans that come from the gutter.  Of course I''m not talking about people who criticise managers, before everyone takes offence, I''m talking about a small section of fans that exist at every club who enjoy a good crusade - and don''t care much if it is directed at their own club.  Its a way they feel they are important and once got going, their bandwagon can grow as it attracts onlookers and hangers on.   So the only comparisons I can draw with Worthy and Hughton,  is that their plight - and the club''s - were/are affected by a small section of fans. 

So, once again, I''m not castigating anyone who has concerns about the club, or even that Worthy shouldn''t have been shown the door, or even that maybe Hughton may have to go - I''m just saying that the extreme nastiness that lurks underneath the surface in some quarters needs to be put in perspective and to realise that sometimes this nastiness needs to be pointed out and people react against it, instead of it being allowed to poison the club much like happened with Worthy and is in danger of doing it again with Hughton.

We all have concerns, just don''t let concerns turn into hatred and vitriol - it does us no good as a club, as a group of fans, or as a city.   Norwich is a great club with fantastic support.   But there are some who periodically spoil it for us - they are always there waiting for something to get their nasty teeth into and who enjoy the aspects of the "us against them" feeling, even if it is directed against the club they are supposed to support.  

The poison is there, lurking.  We''ve all seen it over the years.   Recognise it for what it is and don''t let Hughton''s tenure turn into a Worthy type situation.  It could set us back years.